Running Information Forums
Sub 35 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35 (/Thread-Sub-35)

Sub 35 - jamieh - 09-05-2013

Sub 16 for the 5k is definitely the dream for this year, and would set me up nicely for the big tri's in Sept!

Super windy today (20mph) so opted for treadmill for my 2k's. Did them at 18km/h on 0.5% incline (so 6:40 pace). They were tough but I found a nice rhythm for the last couple.

Onwards to the 1k's next week. Will see what I can do about those 3:10's Wink

J

Sub 35 - TheEd - 09-05-2013

looking good and wise to go onto the treadmill

doing the session into a heavy wind breakdown more than it would build up

onwards to 3.10

Cheers

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 13-05-2013

Hey hey,

Question: It's looking like about 11-12mph wind tomorrow... so not terrible, but enough to make 3:10's a big ask!

What do you reckon? Should I toughen up and do them on the track anyway, or play it safe and hit the treadmill?

I'm just concerned I don't wanna do too much on the treadmill in case it doesn't translate to the road for big race next month.

Cheers,
Jamie

Sub 35 - TheEd - 13-05-2013

HI Jamie, if you train on the treadmill then increase the elevation by 1%, this is considered a variation that makes it similar to outdoor training

doing the intervals on the track (if windy) will depend on how soon after you have your next quality session planned?

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 13-05-2013

Next quality session after tomorrow will not be until Saturday morning (paced 5k). So I guess given all the recovery time I can go for it.

If really windy then I'll go for the 1% treadmill.

Thanks!
J

Sub 35 - jamieh - 14-05-2013

Blew up a bit in my 6x1k today. Didn't help that I've been a little overindulgent on the eating side and was 80kg!

Did them on the treadmill as weather was pretty hideous.

3:09 (1% incline)
-toilet break!-
3:17 (0.5% incline)
3:14 (0.5% incline)
3:13 (1% incline)

Calves really tightened up in the last few reps... was the same after the 2k's on treadmill, I guess just getting used to running fast on an incline.

Glad to have it done though, onwards to the 5k on Saturday. It's been a while so interesting to see where I am.

J

Sub 35 - TheEd - 14-05-2013

the treadmill will have that effect on the calf muscles, so nothing new on that side

give them a few days recovery (and as you mentioned you have the time)

the give in the treadmill over extends the calf muscle slightly more than normal, almost the equivalent feeling as to adapting to 'minimalist shoes' Wink

all it needs is kindness

keep me informed .. still a good session compared to when you first started on these sessions Big Grin

Cheers

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 20-05-2013

16:43 for paced 5k yesterday.

I was supposed to do it on Saturday but calves were still SUPER tight from the treadmill. Took a gentle jog day instead.

Did the 5k yesterday on track and tried to keep even pace (1:20 per 400). Had to dig a little deeper than I'd hoped in the last few laps & calves were still tight so I didn't feel that 'bouncy'... but all in all pretty pleased.

I was also 79.5kg so a good 2.5kg over where I should be. 2 weeks till the big race (with a sprint tri sandwiched in next Monday) so going to cut the cakes/chocolate and hopefully get back to race weight.

J

Sub 35 - TheEd - 20-05-2013

make sure to focus on calf recovery and for now avoid running on uneven surfaces, wobbly off road running, as you run the risk of picking up an ankle injury (sprain)

the calf support the ankles a great deal, so understand this is not happening (stabilising ankle) at its best level currently so treat with caution and respect

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 20-05-2013

That makes a lot of sense. Will keep on smooth surfaces this week. Will let you know how the 400's go.

Cheers,
Jamie