Running Information Forums
Sub 35 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35 (/Thread-Sub-35)

Sub 35 - jamieh - 17-10-2017

Easy 6k today with 4x400 (relaxed, 88-90s, HR 135-140). Everything in order and legs feeling loose. HR resting at <40 and weight steady at 78kg (hydrated) so we're ready to go. Easy 5k tomorrow then 2 rest days and a short jog on Saturday ready for Sun.

Sub 35 - TheEd - 17-10-2017

nice Jamie .. no further words from me

enjoy

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 22-10-2017

2:44:23

Scraped the London Marathon qualification by the skin of my teeth Wink Tough day out with 20kph+ winds on a fairly exposed course and nobody to draft all day.

First 3k ended up being around 3:35 pace (tail wind) with the HR <140. Then settled into steady ~145 feeling good and easy at ~3:50 pace. At 21k HR was starting to sneak over 150 for me to hold 3:50 so I decided to ease off and get back towards 145 before the last 10k - that meant dropping to 3:55-4:00. At 32k I tried to push on but legs were like wood so there was really nothing more to do but hold 4:00 pace despite feeling 'aerobically' great. At 40k there was a steep down/up underpass after which my hamstrings both totally seized up. I very nearly stopped but luckily managed to find a speed (~4:20) where I could hobble to the finish.

Now... a few months to focus on 5k/10k before the build towards London in April. Chatting to other guys on the finish line I think getting the mileage over my current 60k/week could make quite some difference!?

Sub 35 - TheEd - 24-10-2017

Not bad going Jamie

what is your PB?

if you get your long run up to 30 to 32km every 3rd week while doing the 5 / 10k program, will put you in a good position to have a good crack at London

congrats, well done on toughing it out

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 24-10-2017

PB is 2:44:03 in London. On the same course as Sunday (in 2013 after the Triathlon Worlds) I did 2:46:41. Those are the only 3 marathons I've done and in all cases I only did one long run of 30k in the build up and never more than 50-60k/week average.

Longer run every 3rd week sounds like a plan. Would that slot in on the weekend between 2k's and 1k's?

Sub 35 - TheEd - 26-10-2017

Jamie, that long run would come on Day 5 of the program, and it would depend on what else you doing

finding the correct balance is important

I am a strong believer that you get athletes who are made for the marathon and in some way cope with it, to me you seem to semi fall into this bracket, so I believe a sub 2:40 marathon should be in your grasp

on we go

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 26-10-2017

Yes I think it's fair to say I wasn't born for the marathon... but I sure do enjoy it!

Will keep you posted once I kick off with the next cycle. 10k on Boxing day will be the next goal. Hamstrings still super tight today so taking it easy this week.

Sub 35 - TheEd - 26-10-2017

actually, I thought you do quite well at the marathon, particularly considering you were a little 'under-cooked'

so no, I think you can improve immensely but maybe it is more of a fun venture than looking to go sub 2:30 type running?

Cheers TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 26-10-2017

How about we try to get 2:35 at London... then I can decide if it stays as a fun venture, or think towards 2:30?

Ironman is probably where my best performance lies in the future, but not quite ready for the time I need to put in on the bike just yet Wink

Plan?

Sub 35 - TheEd - 04-11-2017

how things going now Jamie?

wanted to see how you have recovered?

I think you cope well with the marathon, you just need to get those long runs as an easy 'staple' for you

TheEd