Running Information Forums
Sub 35 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35 (/Thread-Sub-35)

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 04-10-2019

Another good session today. All on fairly flat grass in pretty strong wind. I meant to do it yesterday but had to have a rest day due to family duties.

4k tempo (3:28-3:32)
10x400 off 60s: 71, 71, 67, 68, 69, 68, 69, 68, 67, 66

The tempo section felt tougher than it should have but the 400's felt great.

Thinking I might start following the Sub 31 plan rhythm if you think that's ok? Legs are feeling good, no niggles...

I may not do all of the morning double runs (but definitely some) and I'm averaging ~80k+ per week anyway for the past 6-8 weeks.

What do you think?

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 04-10-2019

Hi Jamie, no probs following the sub 31 structure

what runs do you have for the weekend

TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 04-10-2019

Nothing really planned for the weekend except probably a tempo run tomorrow if feeling good (I can't do park run unfort) and then a long easy 2h on Sunday.

Sound ok?

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 09-10-2019

Hi Jamie, what did you do the weekend then, where are you in the 3 week cycle?

TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 11-10-2019

Hey there,

It was a a full on housework weekend (ripping out carpets etc.) but I managed to get out for something resembling a paced 5k on the Sat evening, 16:54 at a fairly even tempo with 5k easy either side. Felt a bit harder than I hoped. Then a nice 21k long run on the Sunday.

This week has been mostly easy buggy running. On Tues (which was supposed to be 3x1600 controlled) the group were doing a grass session so I joined that instead. 12 mins progression (6 steady, 4 faster, 2 fast) and then straight into 6x 2:30 fast on decreasing rest intervals (60, 45, 30 etc.). Quite a tough session for me, expecially as it was on quite slippy grass and I was the only one without spikes (I have bought some today!). Hanging off the back of the group the progression for me went 3:50 > 3:30 > 3:10/15 and then the 2:30's were all ~3:00 pace or faster. I stopped after 4 to try and keep some semblance of 'control'!

Obviously it's great to have faster runners to train with but I'll need to figure out how I fit it with the plan. I'm not sure I'll be able to coax them across to my plan just yet (given I'm the slowest!) but hopefully I can weave things together. They admit they're also lacking structure at the moment but there is a common goal of a fast 5k in February (https://www.armagh5k.com) so hopefully can get a rhythm for that.

So - I'm at the end of a cycle with no race. Considering a parkrun 5k tomorrow, we're on vacation next week (Greece!) and I've just been invited to a local 10k on Oct 27th (hilly unfortunately)... so I may aim at a repeat of the last 2 weeks of the program starting next week (but actually stick to it this time) into the 10k on 27th?

Thanks as always
Jamie

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 11-10-2019

Hi Jamie, your training truly sounds exciting and stimulating .. a word of advice re: spikes .. take time to get used to them first .. don't do full sessions in the spikes as they truly can take some getting used to, and can cause niggles very easily .. start off a session with the spikes and then after a quarter of session go into flats .. build up the amount of time in spikes until you achieve it without any problems

TheEd
ps.. if your group are running aimlessly we could create something based on the 5k race .. taking their times and then aiming towards various events short-term and long-term for the future .. slowly introducing them to the 10k structure .. we would also mix the 10k and 5k sessions .. more variety but to still achieve the same end

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 12-10-2019

Understand re: spikes and will heed the advice, thanks.

Would be v. cool having the group on this program. Will see if I get the chance.

Much better paced 5k today on the same out and back road section as last weekend. 16:14

3:15
3:21
3:24
3:12
3:02

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 17-10-2019

5x1k off 60s today (in Greece!) on a nice flat piece of tarmac. Have just been running easy so far this week due to logistics.

3:06
3:09
3:01
3:10
3:03

I was a little hungover from the previous night and did this very early (5:45am on my body clock) and before breakfast. My legs fell off in the last 200m of #5 so I had to stop there. Hopefully still something gained from the session.

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 22-10-2019

Ok! Things are getting interesting.

Some decent running on vacation including a 5k on an extremely tough trail (steep hills, sand) time fairly irrelevant (17:04) but was only 4s behind a guy who runs an 8:59 3k!

Back in the UK now and did a session with the club today (15 guys, I was the 14th fastest :'D). Undulating road loops 2k, 4k, 2k off ~2:30 rest.

2k - 6:29 (3:09, 3:19)
4k - 12:40 (3:10, 3:04, 3:19, 3:07)
2k - 6:30 (3:06, 3:24)

The 2k loop was pretty much 1k downhill, 1k uphill hence the times. All felt pretty good although a bit of plantar fasciitis flaring up I need to keep an eye on. Weight is steady at ~75/76kg.

There is a fast 10k up in Leeds at the weekend which I'm strongly considering given the fitness seems to be coming...

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 23-10-2019

Hi Jamie, make sure to be careful with the plantar as you know how easily things can tweak

good luck with the 10k event

TheEd