Running Information Forums
Sub 35 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35 (/Thread-Sub-35)

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 20-08-2020

great to hear from you Jamie .. and great to have a specific diagnosis

when will you work yourself towards the 5 x 2000m session Wink

on we go TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 04-09-2020

Hey Ed,

Decent few weeks of training under the belt including 5xMile (with a Mile steady in between each rep) in place of the 2k's (5:40-5:20 on the fast miles), then a hilly/grass 5k TT on Sat (grueling 17:30) and easy 32k on the Sunday feeling excellent. I joined a track session on Tuesday of 3x(1k,500,300) with ~60s jog between intervals and ~1:45 jog between sets, which actually went rather well (3:09,90,52) (3:04,90,53) (3:01,90,51) and fun to feel some speed again.

All in all a good start to the new marathon plan. I'm doing another 5k TT on the track tomorrow morning so will update how that goes, hopefully can get down towards or under 16:30.

Foot appears to be healed Smile

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 06-09-2020

Cheers Jamie .. remember not to go too crazy on the speed front in the run down to the marathon ..

hope all goes well

TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 06-09-2020

No danger of speed as it happens! Really wasn't feeling it on the 5k (bad sleep before) so ended up stopping at 3k after 3:16, 3:16, 3:26... I was really suffering.

Did some marathon pace after a rest which felt better (6k) and then a nice easy rolling 28k today.

The Sub 16 may need to wait until winter I fear!

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 09-09-2020

how things progressing now .. are you doing the marathon with a time in mind ..

TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 10-09-2020

Hey Ed,

Mileage is good (I'm now into my 10th week at 90k+ per week with no injury) but I'm still not at the aerobic capacity I need for the marathon time I'd like... which would be sub 2:35. Mainly I just haven't had the consistency of 2k/1k/400 sessions - really just one proper cycle.

I did a run with 12k at 'first 25k of marathon' heart rate (140bpm) today and was hitting 3:55-4:00/km. Granted I have a bit of man-flu and very old shoes... but still I think I'm realistically in closer to 2:45 shape than 2:35.

Rest tomorrow and then a big marathon session this weekend with the training group (4 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles, 1 mile at marathon pace with 1 mile recovery between each 'interval') so I should have a very good indication as to where I am after that. I'll wear the race day shoes and hopefully be over the cold!

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 15-09-2020

hi jamie, how did the marathon session go

TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 15-09-2020

Not well, I think I underestimated the cold. I ended up stopping after 3 miles when I realised my heart rate was at least 10 beats over where it should have been and I was generally feeling horrendous despite very nice conditions!

I've been suffering through training for 10 days or so, so decided to take a few days rest to get back on track. I rested on Sunday and have done nice easy distance yesterday and today and starting to feel much better. I'll do the same tomorrow and then consider a session on Thurs if I'm feeling good, to set me up for some marathon pace and a long run at the weekend.

On the plus side the marathon has been postponed 2 weeks (18th) so no issues there.

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 28-09-2020

Hey Ed,

Quick check in to say things back on track after the flu and now a lot better. The Marathon got completely cancelled unfortunately, but there is a local 5 mile race going on next weekend instead so I may do this for fun and a bit of a kick-starter on training into the winter.

Question for you - where do you stand on how 'easy' easy runs should be on this program? For the past few months where I've been rehabilitating, I've been doing them very easy, like 60-75% Max HR (118-122bpm) but I have to say they haven't been feeling that great. Last week I picked things up a bit and have been doing them closer to 75% Max HR (128-132bpm) and that's been a lot more enjoyable.

Cheers,
Jamie

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 28-09-2020

Hi JamieH .. will enjoy feedback from the 8k event Smile

re: long runs .. I am a strong believer in the individual runner's efficiency while running ... when you run at the lower heart beat, it is important to note what your body is doing .. often, slower running leads to poor efficiency and actually puts the body under stress .. what you can do is consider breaking your runs down into 20 minute segments, taking a break between the 20 minute segments .. stopping to take a stretch, water and allowing the pulse to drop then starting up again, this way you will have a lower pulse with more efficient running .. then once you start building on the fitness increase the segments to stopping every 30 minutes

hope this helps

TheEd