Running Information Forums
10K Training to Improve Time - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training to Improve Time (/Thread-10K-Training-to-Improve-Time)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 19-04-2009

Thanks for the advice on the edit.

Yup. In fact I have registered in races almost every Sunday until end of May. Can you advice on a work around with program incorporating the Sunday races coach?

Also would appreciate any "read" on my progress in conjunction with today's race time.

Cheers!

10K Training to Improve Time - TheEd - 19-04-2009

Graham

in order for any runner to improve they need to train and prepare towards a race

in your case running a race every weekend can lead to improvement but can also lead to a massive dip in form if overdoing things

the best part of development for the 10k is the 2000m session and the 1000s

be careful in your approach to what you doing, as this kind of training I do not highly recommend

TheEd

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 20-04-2009

Thanks for the heads-up.

I think this is the reason why I am stuck in the 53min range. Unfortunately, I have committed in joining the races by end of May. I will incorporate the quality runs during the week and listen to my body also. Will provide update.

Will train in earnest in June using the program towards a race -- although it will be rainy season here in Manila by then.

Thanks for the inputs coach. Really appreciate the expertise.

Cheers!
Graham

10K Training to Improve Time - TheEd - 20-04-2009

the 2000 session gets the most results and whereas you are only doing 3 to start with you will have reached a new level when you get to training 5 x 2k in a session

that will be the biggest marker of improvement

breaking 50 minutes for 10k is a whole new area with the 4 in front of your 10k time

onwards and forwards

TheEd

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 22-04-2009

Hi Coach!

After 2 days of rest (no running) from last Sunday's 10K race, I did the 3 x 2K quality run at our track. My times were very good!
1st 2K - 9mins 46 secs
2nd 2K - 9 mins 47 secs
3rd 2K - 10 mins 10 secs
(With 3laps warm-up and 2laps cooldown)

I suddenly felt what you have been saying all allong to be patient and let the program work with you. I felt quite strong on the first 2 2Ks - something I did not feel before. Also on the third 2K, I felt my lungs had better capacity -- an improvement on my VO2Max perhaps? I wanted to do a 4th 2k but I did not want to shame myself by not being able to finish it as I felt tired already. Smile

The best way I can describe it is my lungs seem to have been rebored like the chambers of pistons. Also my legs felt stronger. (BTW, I have been taking protein drinks immediately after my quality runs and races and it has removed my post workout body pain almost to none. I mention this because I think the protein drink has also helped me strengthen my legs).

I plan to have an easy run on Friday and a race on Sunday. Will update you my time.

Cheers Coach!

10K Training to Improve Time - TheEd - 22-04-2009

graham the 1000's should prove to be more enjoyable

be patient .. let it work its magic

nice going and enjoy

TheEd
ps.. for now there is no need to do more than what's asked, the future will come into its own

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 26-04-2009

Good Morning Coach! I have wonderful news!

I joined a 10K race this Sunday morning and my time was 47:17! I was able to break the 50min barrier!

The course was relatively flat with some incline for about 2km in the first 5K. The weather was cool and perfect. I rested the whole day Saturday and Friday.

My 5K split was a fast 23:37. I experimented with a fast first half. I felt quite strong all through out. I was quite confident in the race having had good times in the 2K quality runs in the program. The only downside was I was not able to do a strong finishing kick in the last km - like elite runners do.

The sub-50 program has worked its magic on me. I was reading your comments on one of the runners to work in the feeling and effort of the 2K quality runs in the race and imbibe the "load". The 2K quality runs have made my legs stronger, my lung power bigger, my confidence higher. I felt good through out the race.

The program really works! You just have to be patient with it. WOW!

Moving forward, do I now move into the sub45 program? or I increase the repetitions in the sub50 program?

Thank you Coach. I have been sharing about the program and the site to everyone I know. Onwards and Forward!

Cheers!
Graham

10K Training to Improve Time - TheEd - 26-04-2009

congrats graham

(only saw this thread now my apologies)

because you new to the program I would seriously advise you to do another 3 week cycle on the same schedule, this will allow you to get the balance of the program before moving forward

as you mentioned, be patient and the results will follow

and always keep it simple

Congrats again, quite an achievement

TheEd

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 27-04-2009

Thanks for your reply. Really helps a lot.
Will continue with another 3 week cycle. Will post updates.
Cheers!

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 28-04-2009

Hi Coach!

A bit of a bad news. I just found out the 10K race I ran was 0.8K short. This was confirmed by a runner with a Garmin. I inputted my time of 47.17 in a race conversion calculator and my time should have been 51:39.

Still not bad coming from 53.37 from my last race. I feel good anyways as I improved my PR. Back to training. I have a race this Sunday again.

I am alternating 1 quality (2ks & 1ks) run per week interspersed with easy runs with my Sundays as race day. I know its not the same as the program but its the best I can do at the moment.

Will finish my race participation by mid-June and start the program day-to-day in earnest.

Will provide update. Cheers!