Running Information Forums
Training and Weight loss? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Training and Weight loss? (/Thread-Training-and-Weight-loss)

Training and Weight loss? - MarkJ - 21-04-2009

Hi

I am 52 yrs old. I took a break from running for a few years and now want to compete again. I find myself about 20lb overweight. I was fit during my 40s though I didn't race. I last raced when I was 40 and ran 32-33 mins for 10k. I trained quite hard last year until about October averaging about 50-60 miles a week with 2 speed sessions. Owing to a family crisis I stopped training from October to March and put on a lot of weight - Xmas and stuff! I really want to get back to full fitness. My legs and chest feel as strong as ever and I can still run 10-12 miles without any problems and even handle twice a day running at an easy pace. Can you advise me on the type of training to carry out with a goal of running 33-34 mins for 10k eventually?

Regards
Markj

Training and Weight loss? - TheEd - 21-04-2009

Hi Markj and welcome

first off, it is most important that you approach anything you do now with caution as the chances of having grave problems due to strenuous activity are high. This is mainly due to a person who is used to pushing themselves at a higher level and expecting to continue doing so even if carrying more weight etc

so our approach is with caution foremost

to assess you to start with we would ask for a 4k time-trial or 5k if it is easier to find such

once we have this we can begin the process

Cheers

TheEd

Training and Weight loss? - MarkJ - 22-04-2009

Thanks for replying so promptly.

Not sure I can face a time trial at this weight. I am on a diet now and getting back into training 2x a day - very slow jogs. I will lose weight very quickly doing this. When I have lost about a 14lbs I will carry out a time trial for you. I think I will blow a gasket if I try it now :noway:.

Will get back to your soon - hopefully.

I don't mean to ignore your advise but I think I better get back on firmer footing so to speak before I exert myself to such an extent.

Great site by the way Smile.

Training and Weight loss? - TheEd - 22-04-2009

lol Markj ... that is better to hear as I was more concerned that you were out there busting a gut already and by getting you towards doing a 4km trial we could then guide you accordingly

now if you up to listening I would truthfully advise looking at week 3 of the Beginners program as that guides you towards running in a sensible way while taking you up the various levels to preparing for a 10km

then you can step towards one of the 10k programs without any problems and will have done the steps safely while losing weight

How does this sound to you?

TheEd

Training and Weight loss? - MarkJ - 22-04-2009

Sounds good to me. I will study week 3 as you mentioned and take it from there.

Thanks

Training and Weight loss? - TheEd - 22-04-2009

Markj

you may find it 'too' easy but rather too easy than picking up problems

The Beginners Week 3

this is a very sensible approach

TheEd