Running Information Forums
First goal..sub 20 min. 5k - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 5km Training (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-5km-Training)
+--- Thread: First goal..sub 20 min. 5k (/Thread-First-goal-sub-20-min-5k)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

First goal..sub 20 min. 5k - Andy - 06-04-2012

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to "serious" running.

I recently finished my post-grad studies and need a hobby. I've always enjoyed running to simply keep fit, however with my new-found spare time I would love to take it to a new level.

My first goal in this new endeavour is to run 5k in 20 minutes. As a benchmark, I did a 5.2km charity run in 25:02 last weekend.

So..clearly some work to do before chopping 5 mins off my time and hence my thread today.

I would love some assistance in setting up some semblance of a programme to get me to my (first) goal. I enjoy structure, and my current routine is quite loose to say the least.

No real time constraints in terms of training - 3 runs a week would probably be good, but I could likely increase this if indeed there would be a benefit. At present I have no other training sessions to fit running around, but would plan to whip my core into shape as part of this venture.

I don't carry any extra weight (5ft 9in and 68 kgs) and have had no injuries to speak of.

If I said "make this happen in approximately 3 months" (ie. for an event in mid-July) would this be possible?

Sincere thanks in advance,

Andy.

First goal..sub 20 min. 5k - TheEd - 06-04-2012

Hi Andy, and welcome to the forums

first off .. if we get you onto a few cycles without any problems then you will definitely see results and improvement all round

whether you improve to running a sub 20 minutes is something we will only be able to gauge in a month or two

hope this satisfies as an answer for now

continue as normal for now and we will look to get something out as from Tuesday

over to you

TheEd

First goal..sub 20 min. 5k - Andy - 07-04-2012

Thank you very much Ed - sounds good to me.

Speak soon, A.

First goal..sub 20 min. 5k - Andy - 09-04-2012

Ready to go Ed - what's the plan for tomorrow?

With thanks,

Andy.

First goal..sub 20 min. 5k - TheEd - 10-04-2012

you may have a longer run today .. if you used to 1hr runs then you can go for 1hr

wednesday can be a rest day if not used to running on a daily basis

Thursday will be a session of 5 x 1k Rest 2 to 3 minutes in-between

your aim for the 1k pace will be to aim for 4.30 to 4.45 per k

please provide feedback

enjoy for starters

TheEd

First goal..sub 20 min. 5k - Andy - 13-04-2012

Hi Ed - reporting back on 2 sessions this week.

Tuesday did an easy 8km at approx. 6:00 min/km pace - about 50 mins all up.

All of Thursday's 5 x 1km were done at 4:30 pace (on the treadmill) with 2 mins rest in between - each stint felt quite comfortable. HR for the 1st km got to about 145 and dropped back to 125 after the rest; next 4 kms were consistently around the 165 - 170 mark during the run, dropping back to 135 after the rest.

On to the next - look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks once again,

Andy

First goal..sub 20 min. 5k - TheEd - 13-04-2012

good stuff Andy .. be a little patient and you should get onto the harder training aspects soon

longish run over the weekend

either 8k or up to 1hr

which ever comes first

do note .. if this is too far then cut back to 6km

please ask questions

your next session will only be Tuesday after this run

TheEd

First goal..sub 20 min. 5k - Andy - 15-04-2012

Ok Ed, one week down and injury free..always a positive.

Took it fairly easy this afternoon after a morning of corporate netball (frustrating sport incidently haha) - approx. 7.5 kms @ 6:00 (45 mins or so).

Looking forward to Tuesday.

Cheers for now,

Andrew.

First goal..sub 20 min. 5k - TheEd - 16-04-2012

Tuesday session

6 x 600m Rest 2 minutes or 200m jog

pace of 600m = 2:36 per 600m

Thursday 30 minutes easy running with last 10 minutes around 5 minutes per k

please ask for clarification

TheEd

First goal..sub 20 min. 5k - Andy - 20-04-2012

Another working week down Ed Smile

So Tuesday's session went as planned - 6 x 600m with 2 mins rest in between - HR hit 170 then dropped back to 135 after rest.

And Thursday's run also completed with no troubles - 20 mins @ 6:00 kms followed by 10 mins @ 5:00.

Not much else to report at this stage.

Trust you're keeping well.

Andy.