Running Information Forums
sub 35 but race every 4 weeks - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: sub 35 but race every 4 weeks (/Thread-sub-35-but-race-every-4-weeks)

sub 35 but race every 4 weeks - mattB0910 - 09-04-2012

hi there

if i could just add a little something of my own to this thread as i am also training for sub 35 10k

you say the plan is a 3 week cycle with a race on the last day of the 3rd week, for me, i have races every FOUR weeks on a saturday, so how can i alter the plan to suit what i need

many thanks Smile

sub 35 but race every 4 weeks - TheEd - 09-04-2012

Hi Matt and welcome to the forums (started your own thread)

what you could probably do is one week of aerobic recovery work or depending on development a week with a different session in it

so the 3 week cycle towards the race, after the race 1 week different and then onto the 3 week cycle

hopefully this is easy to understand

TheEd

hi The Ed

didnt realise that i had started a new thread (whoops).

but if i can just confirm what you have put down, after the race on the 3rd saturday and the 2 days recovery, i should just continue with the easy paced running with no speedwork whatsoever, but if not, i could add a few 400m reps into it (about 6-8 at a respectable pace)

many thanks Smile

sub 35 but race every 4 weeks - TheEd - 09-04-2012

Hi Matt, I created a thread for you, so your training can be chatted about here

and if you able to repost the other question here for answer, please? .. see the private message reply

and in answer to the session in the easy week .. not a 400m session but more a speed endurance session which would be 1200 to 1600m for example

5 x 1200m at 10k pace Rest 60 to 90 seconds

or

5 x 1600 at 10k pace Rest 2 minutes

please keep asking for clarity where needed

Cheers

TheEd

Hi TheEd

that sounds good enough for me! i'm looking forward to starting the cycle, been trying since the start of the year to get sub 35 and now i reckon i could get within distance!

just one last question, could i ask how many miles approximately the cycle is per week? i'm aiming around 45-50 mpw

many thanks

sub 35 but race every 4 weeks - TheEd - 10-04-2012

good stuff .. in answer to your question, there is no specific mileage per week

however the athletes mileage does increase as they develop with the program

the main emphasis is the

10k pace session

long run (varies according to needs and ability)

5k pace session

that is the core of the training

Cheers

TheEd

sub 35 but race every 4 weeks - mattB0910 - 10-04-2012

seen as there is no specific mileage i have gone over the plan on paper and have put down the mileage i should be suited to. basically starting at 40-41 peaking at 49-50 then dropping back 3-4 weeks before race

at the moment i'm thinking of using the program for a 10k on september 2nd so what i'm aiming to do is start on the 3rd week of may which makes it 16 weeks (would that be long enough?, also ive just completed a 12 week plan for a 10k earlier this month so i'm doing 5-6 weeks recovery now)

apologies if i'm making it sound over-complicated, i just want things to be sorted and looking decent Big Grin

sub 35 but race every 4 weeks - TheEd - 11-04-2012

I will assist you in balancing things on the way to the race

once you have a few 2k and 1k sessions under the belt you will feel the difference

during the program you will get to gauge how your development is going

so if you do the 5 x 2k session next week then you will know where you stand

it would be good to have a current 4k time-trial to start with

so maybe do a 4k Thursday or Saturday?

Cheers

TheEd