Running Information Forums
sub 20 min 5k - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 5km Training (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-5km-Training)
+--- Thread: sub 20 min 5k (/Thread-sub-20-min-5k)

Pages: 1 2

sub 20 min 5k - Bleary7 - 16-04-2012

Hello,
I just stumbled upon this site while searching for the best way to break 20 minutes for the 5k. I've been frustrated with my inability to achieve at that speed.
I'm a senior college student without tons of time on my hands, I run 4-5 days/week and I recently (last 3 weeks) started doing speedwork: short/hard hill workouts and longer intervals on the track (1 mile or 2 mile). I did a 7 mile run two days ago, which is my longest so far this spring. I cross country ski race in the winter and run very little.
I competed on the cross country running team for my college for 3 years and, although we mostly raced 6ks, in the most recent 5k I ran for them a year and a half ago I came in at 20:22. My fastest 5k is something like 20:12 or so. I really want sub 20!
A runner since I was about 10 years old, I know I am not injury prone. I don't recover very quickly from hard workouts and too much distance/intensity (running daily combined with alternating days of hard and easy workouts) will very quickly overtax me and slow me down while my peers get faster and faster.
I'm signed up for a 4 mile race in 2 weeks, so I'll have to sneak that into my training, otherwise I'd like to do this sub 20 min race in June, if possible.
I ran a 5k in January in <21:30 minutes without having ran all winter.
I would appreciate any advice you'd be willing to offer!

sub 20 min 5k - TheEd - 16-04-2012

Hi Bleary7 and welcome to the forums

breaking 20 minutes is a 'decent' goal to have as it leads to so many things from there ..

you have the race in 2 weeks time and there is maybe not enough time to achieve much but we can still see what can be done ..

I would recommend the sub 45 minute 10k structure to start with and I shall reshuffle the sessions to accommodate your needs .. which long term is the race in June

we will focus on recovery after the quality runs and we shall look to achieve some consistency

Thursday can be a starter session of 2 x 2k at 4.15 per k with a Rest of 90 seconds to 2minutes in-between

do provide feedback after that session and for tomorrow consider an easy 20 to 30 minutes

hopefully we can get a rhythm going here

TheEd

sub 20 min 5k - Bleary7 - 16-04-2012

Thanks for the quick reply! Just to be clear one really bad day for me to train is Tuesday. The best days for me to train are Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I will plan on doing that workout on Thursday, thanks!

sub 20 min 5k - TheEd - 16-04-2012

not a problem .. this week Wednesday and next week will be a Tuesday quality session

is that OK?

Cheers

TheEd

sub 20 min 5k - Bleary7 - 20-04-2012

I was prepared to execute the workout when I showed up at the track and found it over run with people! I ran passed it and did six 1 minute efforts uphill, hard, with 2 min active rest in between. I then ran for 10 minutes before arriving at the track to find it completely empty. I then did 1000m in 3:57, which didn't feel fast. I decided to call it good, I haven't done that much in awhile, don't want to over do it. In total I ran for about 70 minutes and I felt, and still feel, good.

sub 20 min 5k - TheEd - 20-04-2012

Bleary, for the future .. don't do a hillwork session but rather convert it to a fartlek session ..

which would have been 9 minutes @ perceived 10k effort with 90 seconds to 2 minutes easy running in-between

no need to do more than what is asked from you as there is a balance and rhythm to the program which achieves results

for the weekend do 30 minutes with the last 10 minutes of the run a little quicker

try freshen up for the session for next week

please provide feedback as to how you recover from this week's running

cheers

TheEd

sub 20 min 5k - Bleary7 - 21-04-2012

Ok,I'll keep that in mind for the future. I did the 30 min run with last ten fast yesterday and I felt good.

sub 20 min 5k - TheEd - 22-04-2012

great :ok:

sub 20 min 5k - Bleary7 - 24-04-2012

so for today, should I do the 10k in 45 min workout as written? or should I do less than 6 repeats of the 1000?
Thanks!

sub 20 min 5k - TheEd - 24-04-2012

5 / 6 x 1k Rest 2 minutes pace 4 minutes to 4:05

hope this is fine

TheEd