Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 17-05-2009

Hi there,

I would like some advice on some of the 10K Training Programs I seen recently published on this website.

I'm currently pursuing breaking the sub 40 min 10k barrier after a couple of years of semi-serious running training. I ran the London 2004 marathon (4hrs) and the Great North Run 2006 (1hr42mins). I did these mostly to lay a healthy foundation of long distance running before focusing on shorter distances. Since 2006 I have been playing around with 10k's.

Last week, after a steady 8 week build up, aiming for a sub 41 mins, I managed a 40:41. Very pleased with result. In the last 8 week cycle building up to this, I used one of the 4-5 times a week training programs from Runners World, which was ok and done me proud.

After some stumbling around for some more training programmes, specifically for breaking the sub 40 min, I came across the Time-to-run website and the Off Training Period, Build Up Period and sub 40 min 10K programmes.

I thought that these three strung together over their recommended periods added up quite nicely up to my next planned race on July 10th to break the sub 40 mins..

After my race last week, I ran on Monday for an hour and then decided to take the rest of the week off to do some surfing, stretching a little core work.

Would the idea of building up to the next race over 8 weeks using the Off training period for 2 weeks for recovery, 3 weeks of the Build up and 3 weeks of the Sub 40 10k specific training be suitable?

Is the Off Training period necessary? I can appreciate the need for it and would enjoy the easy slow running, but is it worthwhile considering my current form?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 17-05-2009

Hi Hyperspace and welcome

Nope it would not be necessary for you to go through the Off Training Period

Would you like to consider trying a few cycles of the sub 40 minute 10k program?

What say you?

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 17-05-2009

Hi TheEd,

Thanks for your welcome and advice.

When you say a 'few cycles', do you mean getting straight into the three week sub 40 min cycle? No build up period?

My next sub 40 min 10k race 'opportunity' is 8 weeks this Friday coming which is what I am primarily focussed on. I have also booked a 10.5Km trail race 4 weeks today which I was going to use as a time/trial, could this upset things?

How do you recommend I work in the three cycle if that was the idea?

Much obliged,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 18-05-2009

Hi Daryl

you could go straight into the sub 40 minute program especially if you have been training on a program already and you are used to paced running and a few longer runs thrown in-between

you could start with Day1 on Tuesday and Day 3 the 5x2000m is when the program really starts

provide feedback and we can balance you to train towards your main race

Trail runs can be a bit dodgy due to the uphills and downhill nature of the courses with muscle fatigue often being a problem

so you would have to make the decision

what you could do for now if you want a marker is to do a 4k time-trial preferably on a 400m track with 400m lap splits

this is always the best test to refer back to

Maybe consider doing it on Monday?

Cheers

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 18-05-2009

Hi TheEd,

Starting Day 1 tomorrow sounds fine, thanks for the suggestion.

As for the 4k trial, I only have access to, believe or not, a 500m'ish (!) tarmac surface which is 50% uphill, 50% downhill. I use it regularly for doing 400m type interval sessions, eg 12x400 or 12x90 secs, and 6x800's but never for elongated time trials. I tend to do the intervals by time and just stop on the lap and walk/jog to the start. The hill proves a good workout and you get a nice speedy downhill section to stretch out.

The lap has been measured precisely, will check out. Does it really matter that its not quite 400m? As long as I find out the exact distance say 500m, and I get the splits, make 4k and do the same next time, it will provide a like for like reference?

Thanks again for your advice,

Regards,

Daryl

Hi Daryl

the 4k time-trial plays an integral part in the long-term use and the athletes development on the program. so to do the trial on that course is fine. And your pace sessions can be directly related to training on that route then

so yes, please do a 4k test on that route, please

Cheers

TheEd

Hi TheEd,

Did the 4Km time trial - however didn't use the lap in question mainly due excessive wind (40mph gusts!) and not sure how to proceed after my last post.

Also to make matters more difficult I had to send my Polar Watch off to Polar after my last 10Km last week for repair, and only have a basic Polar HR monitor/watch to tie me over; so I didn't have any way of accuratley gauging the 4km and obtaining splits.

So instead I hit my work gym and used the treadmill, I never tend to use these ever, only for re-hab from an injury or something. However with the circumstances, and for a change, I thought I'd give it a shot. Might be useful for later reference? I will work out the exact 4km lap at a later point and run it no prob's.

Anyhow after all that, on the treadmill I clocked:

2.5miles (=4.02Km) - 15:16
Av HRate: 154 bpm
Mx Hrate: 169 bpm

Just to let you know, I tend to have a slightly low resting and max HR. Don't know why, think might be heiridatory. On average my waking HR varies between 35 - 45, mostly around 40. I havn't done a max test for a while, but the 220 - Age doesn't seem to apply to me, I reckon taking another 5 bpm off is about right. Based on that, I generally aim to get my 10K race pace HR up to late 160's, earlys 170's. Tend to struggle to do this in races and think its down to me needing to improve my VO2 max, what do you think?

My last 10km average was 166 which was getting there, but still some more headroom I reckon. Anyway today's average was quite low but the best I could muster after a few bevvies last night :whistle::whistle:.

How do I improve this average, ie getting it up there and holding? Is it all about Tempo Runs?

About the 4k's - I had good warm mile warm up, held 6:15/mile for 1.75 miles then wound it up to 5:49 in the last 1/2 mile. The treadmill belt was slipping and was a bit tricky to get used to, however was worthwhile doing once(!)

Apologies for the brain dump.

Look forward to hearing your comments,

Best regards,

Daryl

Great stuff .. OK let's look at doing the

sub 40 minute 10k program

2000's on Thursday is the main session, an easy 1hr tomorrow is fine

Thanks

TheEd

Hi TheEd,

With my Polar watch being repaired, Ive got no means of measuring pace. Whats your advice on making use of the session until I get it back? Soon I hope.

I could set up my temporary watch with 5 x 7m 32 secs intervals (approx 2k at 3:55 min/k pace) and further use watch to gauge HR at tempo pace?

Or should I measure off a flat 2k route, watch HR at tempo range and simply stopwatch them?

Cheers again,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 19-05-2009

Hyperspace Wrote:Or should I measure off a flat 2k route, watch HR at tempo range and simply stopwatch them?

all in one :ok:

best to do that, if you able to have a route that is not too killing on the legs it would be great

TheEd