Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 15-10-2009

TheEd,

No probs with calves this morn, stretch them a little, seem fine. Cycled to work. Felt tired all day. Went to gym for core w/out at lunch but no energy so scratched it.

Planning early night tonight - not cycling tomorrow, were planning a run at lunch; what do you recommend?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 15-10-2009

how are the shins .. if at all slightly tender then another day's rest will not be too bad

if you do go for a run only consider an easy 30 minutes .. light running

hopefully by Sunday after another days easy running you can look to do an hour .. on a trail path or similar which is not as hard on your legs as tarmac or pavement

is that doable?

Cheers

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 15-10-2009

The shins have been fine, it was more from above the left ankle to side of calf, just a very light strain definately from Sunday's 10Km . Seems fine today. Will try 30 mins tomorrow and report back.

Ta 4 now,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 16-10-2009

Hey TheEd,

Run@lunch: 3.5
Route: Same as Wed, other direction: Hilly, track/grass/tarmac
Time: 29:40
Hrate: Forgot monitor

Didnt manage early night, had v.busy week at work - wasn't feeling rested all morning. Was hard work getting round, was v.windy (gusts up to 20mph). Feeling general but not alarming tightness on both calves, left more so. Must be still recovering from race on Sunday. Glad to get round, not happy with amout of sleep had last night - need to unwind and get to sleep earlier.

Having an easy evening this evening - might do some surfing tomorrow if waves are suitable. Hopefully feeling more rested on Sunday for a longer run.

Will report how feeling tomorrow,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 17-10-2009

Hi TheEd,

Hope you are well.

Got up feeling tired this morning, racing mind, short breath all morning, busy as well doing chores, feeling a bit stretched. Decided a surf was in order so got in a 3pm for two hours - worked a treat! Caught plenty and two special head high waves - superb!

Feeling a lot better about tomorrow's run - legs feel relaxed and refreshed. Was thinking of going out first thing in morning. Should I try for 60 mins Easy? I usually take a camel back with me on the longer runs just to help motivation and performance level - what you say?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 17-10-2009

1hr should be good .. yes

but don't load the pack horse unnecessarily, just yet, unless you feel like the 'zen' punishment

Wink

nice Confusedurf:

grand

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 18-10-2009

Hey TheEd,

Just relaxing after long run:

Total time of minute: 1:13:31 (13.4km)
@60mins: 11.4Km
Route: Mostly tarmac/path, run on grassy verges where could.
H/Rate Avg:129bpm Mx:144
Pace Avg 5:25/km

Went out OK, keep it as steady as could - cross wind on way back after 30 mins. Legs were strong, calves no probs - knees were feeling it a bit though, especially when got home.

Were well short of arriving home at 60 mins had a stretch at about 65 then trotted home to finish. Felt good even though were feeling the strain of doing a longer run.

Was mindful of the one minute less than 10k pace (5:00) however were struggling to keep this up as route is undulating throughout.

Overall pleased with effort and caught a glimpse of the stamina I built up from earlier in the year of longer runs I were doing every weekend - hope to keep these up from now.

What do you recommend tomorrow? Am planning day off work to do some DIY all day - there is running club tomorrow night but I can't predict easily how far the run will be - what do you recommend?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 18-10-2009

nice D let me know how you recover

talking of being mindful of the 1 minute .. this applies more to not running faster and not so much of having to keep the pace at plus 1 minute

people tend to run too fast at the wrong times so to provide a better gauge point, the 1 minute is mentioned

there is so much to gain from varying pace however in order to gain the benefits you need to have the blocks in place or often training causes breakdown instead of building up

hope not too much data, wanted to clarify a little better

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. as for tomorrow play it by ear .. a rest day would not be out of place and an easy 30 minutes should not be harmful

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 19-10-2009

TheEd,

Recovery status:

Slept well, woke up with slight sore throat. Disappeared quickly after breakfast and a cold/flu beechams hot drink. Not feeling any other effects at all of a cold otherwise.

Generally feel good, no leg soreness at all. Considering y/days effort feel surprisingly recovered. Feel tempted to try 30 mins easy, however if DIY carries on all day might give a miss and rest instead.

Hear you on the +1min theory - sounds logical. Will use this as something to check for my easy runs and in general depending on the session at hand.

If I do get out today will report back later. If I don't run today what do you recommend for tomorrow? Is the starting 19 day cycle in scope?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 19-10-2009

if you have had a sore throat a rest day would be best .. surely

you can do an easy 30 minutes tomorrow and look to do a bit of quality on Thursday

Cheers

TheEd