Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 21-05-2009

Hi TheEd,

8am - Just got back from the 5 x 2k's:

1. 8:07
2. 7:58
3. 8:01
4. 8:06
5. 8:19

Once I get my other watch back I can measure this course more accurately.

The course is quite flat, tarmac pathway. Found it hard, felt heavy and tired. Not sure on the early start but had no choice due to commitments this evening.

HRate was hanging around the early 160's. Was chuffed I got through it though as I was seriously flagging by the last rep!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 21-05-2009

brilliant Daryl

this session should never be easy, as this is the cornerstone of the program

it teaches the runner everything

1000's will begin to feel like a holiday when one compares in the future

nice going

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 21-05-2009

TheEd,

Cheers for the kind words.

Regarding the 1k's, should these be done on a straight road/pavement route or a lap?

I have a 500m'ish lap at work I can use which is has a 200m or so hill at start, serves well as a tarmac track with a nice downhill stretch on the back end.

What you recommend?

Cheers again,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 22-05-2009

Hi Daryl, you can certainly use that route however that can become a little tough on the legs once you start pounded the pavements at a higher tempo, ideally a tartan track of firm off road surface is best

however if this is not achievable and you stick to the tarmac then you must look to maintain your legs after each session, so as to avoid injury

Cheers

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 22-05-2009

Hi TheEd,

Just thought, I live right near a beach, in fact, the 2k's route runs right along parallel with the beach - would this be ok or too soft?

Also, just to mention as I forgot previously - I done a core workout in the gym today and do on a weekly basis - is this ok in conjunction with the routine I started this week? I do a high rep Ab, Back, core stability range of exercises with some running technique exercises thrown in at the end - I find this stuff really helps - any objections?

Cheers,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 24-05-2009

try to make sure the beach sand is firm, avoid running on loose sand as this can be high risk and lead to injuries

as for the core session, try not to do the session a day before, on the day or a day after a quality session such as the 2000's, 1000's or long run

Hopefully this is clear, ask further questions if necessary?

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 24-05-2009

See what you mean about the sand, will have to check tide out before going down. Gotcha on the core session, makes sense.

Managed a 1hr 20 min easy y/day, didn't manage the 30min easy today, on the road for tomorrows 10k easy run - will let you know how I get on with the 1k's on Tues, till then happy bank holiday!

Are you based in the UK? :mmm:

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 26-05-2009

Scandinavia actually

was at the Copenhagen Marathon this weekend hence slow response to a number of posts

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 26-05-2009

Hi TheEd,

How did your marathon go? PB?

Result from the 1k's today:

Weather: 15mph crosswind on 2,4 and 6, wind behind on 1,3,6. Heavy rain showers 3-6. Not 100% on 1K distance, used gmaps pedometer to gauge. Will check again when get old watch back.

approx 2 mile w/up

1. 3:55
2. 3:52
3. 3:51
4. 4:03
5. 3:55

Legs were feeling this, achilles, calves and outside r/thigh tight after, had a good stretch.

Y/day's easy 10k was ok but didn't feel fresh when I went out for these today. I'm going to tentatively do the 30 min easy tomorrow, although I feel a day off might be better. See how feel. Feel like I'm improving already though.

Looking forward to my next race on June 14th, just waiting for some new trail shoes to come through for it.

Catchup again soon,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 26-05-2009

look after yourself Daryl and it should all come together

a days rest would probably be wise to assist the legs recovery

the wind can often take a lot out of the legs

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. as for Copenhagen .. there should be the start of a new journal regarding the project we are busy with at the Copenhagen Marathon .. didn't run