Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 31-10-2009

D .. do be patient now, as you are finally sick and believe it or not you will probably be back to running quicker than this being dragged on and on

so try to find the silver lining of the sick cloud

Thanks for the feedback

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 02-11-2009

Hi TheEd,

Hope you had a decent weekend - had a rough day y/day, seem to go d/hill after feeling much better on Sat.

Got up this morn with sore throat again :-(. Went to work as feel just about OK other that throat to be at work, pretty fed up with being at home.

Sore throat wore off v.quickly, slight h/ache at lunch - felt much better in afternoon. Tired this evening however feeling stronger and clear headed.

An early night is in order then see how feel tomorrow - no plans to run, reckon I need one clear day before try anything - what you say?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 03-11-2009

defintely D .. no running for now

TheEd
ps.. get well soon

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 03-11-2009

Hey Thed,

Feeling pretty frustrated and tired - had difficulties getting early night last night after v.busy day at work. Way too much to think about b4 bedtime. Was still a bit high from whatever it is I've had over previous days - must be the strangest cold/flu ever had.

Manged about 5.5 hrs sleep, sore throat when got up.

Scraped through work today just about in tact, feeling v.tired now, going to bed shortly. Not ready for exercise yet, this is like ground-zero again :mad:

Will keep you updated on progress,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 03-11-2009

D .. you needed to be here .. the other way it would have dragged on for a lot lot longer .. linger longer

give this time and by this Wednesday next week you should be running with no problems again

be patient or else it will simply hang in your system

TheED

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 04-11-2009

Hey TheEd,

Found out today that recent illness might have been swine flu, manager at work has been off with it and had it diagnosed - my symptoms were v.similar.

Got a slightly early night last night, still felt a bit rough this morn. Felt better as day worn on.

Another early night tonight - what signs should I look for before deciding to do any exercise - any suggestions? Next Wed seems like a long way off!

In your opinion and experience, if this has been Swine flu or flu or whatever, is there a rough rule to go by before getting out again? How do you know when its out your system? Can exercise help move it on?

Apologies for all the questions!

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 04-11-2009

Hi D .. if you had or have swine flu then you have got a very mild form of the swine flu indeed

firstly .. you have not had elevated temperatures in the form of fever, have you?

secondly .. you have not had any bronchial complications to speak of, have you?

you most likely have had seasonal bug as you are yet to feel wiped out and bedridden

your am pulse .. you should make it part of your daily routine so as to better monitor your concerns .. having an average morning pulse to work off is handy

if your pulse is elevated it means something is wrong

in recovery from the bug you have now .. you have not reported any green or yellow discharge .. yes / no ??

you need to monitor your legs on when you first step out of bed in the morning or when you walk up and downstairs ... if you have muscle soreness you need to be more careful before considering returning to running as you may have an infection which is affecting the muscles and remember .. the heart is a muscle

swine flu is severe and if you had that you truly would know about it, make no mistakes

Wednesday will be here quicker than expected and hopefully you will be running by then

do monitor your breathing and body temp

I hope this helps and if you are concerned consider visiting your Doc

hope all gets well soon

TheEd

TheEd,

Looking back last week and the weekend, I did have feverish like sweats, but they were quite shortlived if I relaxed. It was mostly based on some sort of basic exertion, like climbing stairs etc.

No bronchial issues as such. Nearest I had to this was just the nasty sore throats every morn/evening.

As for being bed-ridden I did feel that way at points, but as I might have mentioned previously instead of sleeping I shrugged it off and my brain just engaged with reading ro working on my computer instead. Usually I get wiped out with stuff like this, I've never felt like this before. Looking back I should have stayed in bed but felt I shouldn't and i should try and fight it off...who knows what the right thing to do is?

Anyhow, thanks again for the all advice - I used to do the waking pulse test, must start again and will check legs in morning although must admit haven't noticed anything like this over recent days or weeks. Last week it was more of a dull sense of having worked them when hadn't.

Regarding breathing I did notice that I wasn't breathing freely at points and kept having to force myself to 'mouth-breath' rather than just rely on nose. This usually indicates to me when I am v.tense and under pressure and need to do some breathing exercises to re-establish proper breathing in sync with body. Will keep an eye on this and body temp and keep you up to date.

I am very conscious this could be lingering around even when feeling fully recovered so going to take care in case it comes back with a vengance, thanks for all your advice as usual. Will report back soon,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 04-11-2009

any weight loss to speak of and how has your appetite been?

now that you have a concern of the swine flu there is no reason you can't be more cautious and by Wednesday hopefully you are 'jogging' with no discomfort

Regards

TheEd

If anything, I've probably put some on as I have eaten the same amount if not more than as when I was running well. Haven't checked weight for a few days so will do so.

As for appetite was pretty good late last week if I think about it - that's why I though it was a cold...?

Will have to wait and see I suppose,

Thanks again TheEd