Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 30-05-2009

Hi TheEd,

Just got back from the 5K Pace run - glorious conditions here, clear blue sky, warm 9 mph cross breeze, about 16C.

Made it round in 19:43. Its a reasonably flat course, still have to measure when get watch back. Legs a little bit tight, have had a slight niggle in front of left quad last few days, think from the 1k's - did a 5 mile gym bike y/day to try x-train the legs out worked ok, also did a core w/out afterwards.

All the same, the 5k's felt hard but controlled. Average Hrate was v.down - 156 bpm! I was really pushing to get it up! Need to work on this. I had trouble getting off to sleep last night, didnt unwind proper before bed - reckon that has something to do with low average? HRate max was 169bpm.

Looking forward to the 60 mins easy tomorrow. Hows your training going?

Regards,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 30-05-2009

A state of anxiety can determine elevated heart rate however the mind can often determine the effort the body is able to deliver

19:43 isn't bad for a paced 5k and if you could maintain another you would have your sub 40 minute 10 km

these are still early days and it seems as though your pulse is around 10 bpm lower than most of the others on the forum who use a pulse monitor

Keep me informed about the leg recovery, please?

Thanks

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 31-05-2009

Hi TheEd,

Had a better and longer nights sleep last night. Niggle in left quad seesm to have disappeared thankfully :-)

Just back in from the 60 mins easy - was tough going after 30 mins, however made it through - wouldn't have enjoyed any more time on feet than that though!

Maintained an average Hrate at 128 bpm, was aiming for 126 bpm so pleased.

Calves and achilles feeling a bit tight at first, loosened up alright as went on.

Was thinking about skipping tomorrows 30 mins easy - feeling like a day off completely might be nice. However if I feel up for it do you think I would benefit from it?

Looking forward to the 10 x 400's on Tues - used to doing these at the work loop on lunch break, going to take are doing these as I can feel a strain coming on!

Will let you know how it goes,

Cheers,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 01-06-2009

you can take a day off as it is the end of the cycle and the new cycle begins Tuesday again

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 01-06-2009

TheEd,

Rested today - doing the 10x400's tomorrow.

A question about this current cycle, am I right in assuming under normal 'race prep' circumstances I would be ready for a race this Saturday?

If you remember I mentioned about a 10K trail race which is coming up a week this Sunday coming, its actually on the 14th June - can you direct me on prep'ing for this race instead of starting a new cycle?

According to this cycle I'm scheduled to finish this Thursday on the 30 mins ez, then 6x1 mins on/off's - where do I go from this point onwards to prep for the 10K trail race thats looming?

Cheers,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 02-06-2009

If there is no race this weekend then consider doing Week 2 now and roll through next week to the race

your call?

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 02-06-2009

TheEd,

10x400's went well, calves a bit tight afterward's, however after some stretching all ok.

Had to pace them at 90 secs for each rep to make timing easier as still waiting for Polar watch return from repair. Have never done this many with only one minutes rest, usually have 2 mins so was pleased with effort.
Took a few reps to get going, however Hrate was getting up to the late 160's for a change.

As regards to next week I'm not sure I quite understand your suggestion - the full cycle is 19 days? Correct if I am wrong, so are suggesting that I backtrack and re-align the 19 day cycle, from today to synchronise with the upcoming race? Effectively I start repeating some of the sessions I was doing last week?

Pardon me for my ignorance,

Cheers,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 03-06-2009

Daryl .. is the race in 3 weeks time, if so then you can start the 3 week cycle this week

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 03-06-2009

Its a week this Sunday coming...the 14th June, 10K trail.

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 04-06-2009

OK .. then 6 x 1000 this week

so you run down 2 weeks to the event

though a trail race can't be measured for 10k times it can get you used to racing on the day that you choose

which is important

TheEd