Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 02-04-2010

rather take a double rest and run Sunday, still sticking to thinking about a controlled run and then maybe enjoying the last 1km with more effort

so start the first few miles at around 5 minute per km effort

once you get to 7km you can reassess

we mentioned that sub 50 minutes is comfortable and now you giving sub 45 minute pace Wink

enjoy above anything

TheEd
ps.. my waddling coming along pretty fine now

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 03-04-2010

TheEd,

Cheers for the suggestion - was getting a bit carried away with the 4:30/k pace...I suppose its better I've done that before the race, rather than during it!

Another days rest sounds good. Will go out from the start at 5:00/k and see what unfold's.

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 04-04-2010

TheEd,

Race report:

Course: 1st 4.5Km's - climbing from 0-180m. 2nd half, muddy offroad track with d/hill wet and grassy banks to last km of road. Total dist approx 10.5Km.

Time 47:44
Avg Hrate:158bpm

Performance: Started at back of pack, as soon hit hill, engaged and climbed with strength, overtaking backmarkers boosted effort. Watch blacking out on pace, relied on bpm, found limit pretty quick at 160-162. Built on this all way to top and half way, expecting fast legs during 2nd half d/hill - happened to a point, but were struggling to make ground on runners in front. Maitained position and h/rate, at points felt like I was cruising and recovering between sections with controlling breathing. At same time didn't have an the extra gear I know I can have with some future speed work.

On the whole please, no niggles, no gut busting, v.happy to be out and competing.

There is a club run tomorrow, might go along and treat as a recovery run. Tuesday rest, pick up on Wed - question is, what for?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 04-04-2010

nice going D .. that is a nice solid run .. thanks for the descriptive feedback

now to be honest

I would truly consider a day off tomorrow

this will suit you better in getting back to a decent routine, instead of feeding the fatigue

let me know your thoughts, please?

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 05-04-2010

TheEd,

Def rest day - had a few sherberts (drinks) last night, and a bit of a late night so although not hungover this morn, head and belly is feeling a little full as ate well after race also :laugh:

Thanks for the positive comments - it was a solid run with plenty of signs for improvement, so encouraging times ahead.

Wanted to take the opportunity to mention next 10Km booked:

Sunday May 2nd (just under 4 weeks time)

Need to plan for this as during the last week on build up, will be on surf holiday in Canary Islands. Planning to do some running in mornings out there, however with 5-days solid surf they might end up being short recoveries runs from the day before. Each surf day will last approx 4-5 hours solid surf tuition.

Did this holiday last year managed a good 10km interval session early on in week, as there a real long flat road, then the two others later in the week which were short and slow. Maybe I could consider something similar but more suited to a wind down for the race on the day after returning. Were thinking could try and treat the surfing in isolation as an overhead of energy expended if that makes sense?

Do you think I can devise a workable training plan so that I can give the above my best shot? Realise there will be an impact on performance from being away during the last week with the travelling and all and I can't expect an outstanding result, however I'm interested to use this week as a platform for focussing further on the running as from now and after the holiday the surfing opportunities are going to decrease as the swell is dying down now till Autumn.

The 10K course is v.similiar to yesterdays, with 4km climb, 2Km flat and 4 downhill, however its all road. Its in a neigbouring village, along the same valley.

Apologies for the lengthy response, I'm sure we can organise some sort of plan over the coming weeks.

Thanks for your support TheEd as always, look forward to hearing from you,

Cheers,

D

TheEd,

Had an idea to take my parents out for a classic 6.5 mile walk round a quarry nearby. Theres 347m of climb in total. Its undulating for the first 2 miles and then climbs from 2-3.5miles to peak at 260m, then its downhill to end.

To save time (and energy!) was thinking could somehow incorporate recovery run into this by jogging ahead after a mile walk to 4 miles and then trot back to them following up to join them walking to the end.

Would equate to approx 5miles walk, 5 miles run.

What you say?

Cheers,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 05-04-2010

not a bad idea for Tuesday recovery run

will reply regarding the other post shortly, however as it is the last week of the cycle before the race changing it shouldn't be a problem with the surfing, it is more important that you don't put too much emphasis on race day performance

enjoy the surf rather than worrying about the race, simply do the race as part of the surfing package

Cheers

TheEd

Will update on recovery run, common sense prevails with the surfing/race package. Look forward to learning more about traiing regime for the rest of the week,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 06-04-2010

we can look to do a regimented 1000m session this week and then try a rehashed 3-week cycle from next week

Thursday 5 x 1000m Rest 2 minutes

pace 4.20 per km .. you should find this session manageable and you should not try to go faster

thereafter we can look at one long run over the weekend and then a new cycle from next Tuesday

please let me know your thoughts relating to the suggestions

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 06-04-2010

TheEd,

Todays walk/run around Quarry got complicated and shortened with my parents. Route was v.muddy and v.hilly, they had to turn back. I carried on.

Walked for half an hour with them, then walk/run the rest. Got to top of climb and put an extra 1.5miles in to make 5.25 miles in a total of 1hr10-15mins. Was OK as a recovery, but lacked any rhythmn from the stop/starting.

Thursdays 5x1000m sounds good. Do you feel 4miles easy run on road tomorrow lunch would be wise as I feel I didn't get that much out of today? A few of my colleagues will prbably be going out.

Got a feeling I need to be fresh for Thurs instead, await your advice which is much appreciated.

Long run on weekend sounds great.

Catchup soon,

D

PS: forgot to mention, there is a local 5km race two weeks this Wed, was thinking of entering - might be a good time trial - could we work this into the three cycle or is it a distraction?