Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 06-04-2010

take the day off, there is nothing wrong with feeling fresh Wink

if you come out of Thursday session feeling great then all the better

and after the long run if you feel there is a rhythm forming even more better

and then next week can be a nice training week

you on your way now

:jive:

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 08-04-2010

TheEd,

Watch unexpectedly not showing actual pace, instead was a -/+ 10secs/km tolerance around the 4:20/km which made is difficult to know where we were, hence the higher than expected paces below.

Weather: Sunny, 15C, 8-10Mph westerly breeze

W/Up: 2Km, easy - 24 hr adventrure racer/work colleague joined in session.

Route: Work loop = 486m, tarmac - start: 0-200m, 15m incline, 250-486 downhill. Set watch to 1km and run round loop alternating direction to break up inclines.

Km1: 4:02.7 Hr Avg: 145, EndHr: 154 Strong start, try to find pace
Km2: 4:08.0 Hr Avg: 151, EndHr: 157 Hard 2 stablise pace, left calf tight
Km3: 4:09.0 Hr Avg: 158, EndHr: 160 Maintaining easy
Km4: 4:20.1 Hr Avg: 158, EndHr: 164 Wind taking breath, start 2 dig
Km5: 3:56.1 Hr Avg: 161, EndHr: 169 Ignored calf and found technique

Effort of gauging 4:20 pace: Challenging due to watch and hills. Calf is OK just sore, will stretch. During km 3, was thinking if it gets worse will stop. The last one felt good, pushed myself, I didnt even feel sharp, so with some further speed sessions working on technique, can feel great potential on holding somewhere near this pace.

Legs certainly feeling impact this afternoon. Need to get a 7+ hrs sleep as been sub7 last two nights.

Tomorrow 2hr+ MTB session with 24 hour racing colleague in Forest. He will be more tired than me so shouldnt be too mad, however will be tough on quads, but a good X-train session?

Thinking of resting Sat - long, easy on Sunday?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 09-04-2010

OK .. calf niggle is important to monitor

if it is even slightly 'unsure' come Sunday then don't do a long run but consider doing a cycle session instead or surf Wink

you need to go forward niggle free and also look back and see that you have in fact had a fair amount of exercise in the last week so there is progress, slow but steady

TheEd
ps.. long run 1hr or 12km easy for Sunday, if all ship shape

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 10-04-2010

Hey TheEd,

Y/Day's bike turned into a modest session in the forest. Had a bloody excellent time. We saw the UK Mountain Bike Development Team checking out some of the technical sections with huge drop-offs! We even had a go at some of them, hairy stuff.

Dist: 36Km
Terrain: Red Route
Calories: 2243
Avg Hrate: 131 bpm (hit some big hills with some big Hrate peaks)
Avg Speed: 4min/km

Had two stacks, no heavy injuries. Session took toll on back and shoulders though. Feel OK this morning, even on 6hrs sleep as had trouble getting off. Quads seem OK, no calf stiffness. Planning a walk and stretch this afternoon. Will check calf out.

Looking forward to tomorrows long, easy to flush out system after y/day. Will be mindful of calf situ and the potential 'overhang' of y/day bike on energy levels.

Hope you are managing to get out this weekend, great weather here,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 11-04-2010

how's that calf doing then?

hope things are moving along smoothly and that next week can see some further progress in consistency

till later

TeEd
ps... waddling every 2nd day currently

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 11-04-2010

TheEd,

Calf was OK y/day, no exercise as planned. However went out for a few drinks last night which led to a slight overindulgence in alcohol and half a nights sleep on the couch after getting in - whoops...:duh:

Felt worse for wear this morning - still intoxicated in fact, not heavily, however it seems it doesn't take that much these days to generate such a hang-over.

Not to disappoint the training objective for the day, thought that getting out the door for the 8 miles easy (more like crawl) might help. Knew it was going to be less than my best effort and heavily broken up (it was), thought that sweating out last night would help my recovery of sorts...

Even though tired, the added resistance was managable, but it was a lot of walk/run. It worked out 13.4Km around a new route which was fantastic.

Hrate Avg 128bpm. 1st 5km was grassy clifftop, rest road/path. At 8km wasn't running on mid-foot, started to feel tightening up of calves both sides - will have to make sure properley recovered from this by Tuesday before progressing. Planning a core workout tomorrow and a lot of stretching, not forgetting the 7+hr sleep promise I've been making to myself, all this week and beyond.

Feel like I cheated myself a bit with going out last night, not planning to that again - it was a stark reminder of some of my earlier days...God, I am getting older!

Will update tomorrow about recovery,

Cheers,

D

PS - Good to hear about the waddling...!

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 11-04-2010

try be disciplined and drink a liter of water before couach napping as a hangover is directly related to dehydration and then consider what that dehydration can do to the leg muscles

so drink lots of water to rehydrate the body and hangovers should be less [[SIZE="1"]or maybe not so much now Wink that one is older and less wiser Big Grin[/SIZE]]

keep informed .. can look to roll decent session out this week with a at least 2 x 2k within a session

Cheers

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 11-04-2010

TheEd,

Your right - I forgot to guzzle any water when I got in - its been months since I went out like this hence forgetting, normally I do this religiously.

When I woke up I downed about litre of water mixed with Nuun - have you heard of this stuff? Its fantastic for re-hydration...I also used another litre during the 8 miler...feeling pretty good now, just tired.

Looking forward to the rest of the week...

Cheers for now,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 12-04-2010

TheEd,

Hit gym at lunch for a stretch and a short core workout. Was a tough little session (40 mins), hit core hard, much needed after Sat nights excess.

Afterwards noticed a slight strain in hamstring, think I acquired this from 5 mins of light martial arts sparring with punch bag as a body warmer before stretching at start - have noticed this before when haven't used punch bag and go back to as a warm up. Normally it leads to nothing serious and clears within 24-48 hours.

Have just treated the hamstring with some Tiger balm and a strong thumb, already feels better!

Was there a plan for a run tomorrow? I feel a short easy might be in order until this hamstring thing has cleared up?

Catchup soon,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 12-04-2010

if the hamstring is OK then a short light run would certainly be in order

however

Wink

hope everything works out OK as a session round Thursday is hopefully 'doable'

TheEd