Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 19-04-2010

Hey TheEd,

Took day off work to finish some DIY and go for surf. As a warm-up went for an easy 5Km jog, pleased to say it felt good. Had springiness in step and breathing well under control. Cruised up the hills and were holding 4:30 with ease on level sections and within hrate range...

Time: 24:41
Hrate avg: 129bpm
5:01/Km Avg

The surf was firing, best this year - a real humdinger afternoon...very busy on the arms, paddling was strong but faded quickly, however felt suprisingly confident and knew when to get out.

There's more swell tomorrow, might get in for another short session. No running till Wed. Will see how feel, might just do the work 4miler, easy.

Bye for now,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 20-04-2010

sounds good D, especially the surf Wink

actually nice to hear you finding it easy

do take a look at Dave's training and see what pace he is doing his easy run at

http://www.time-to-run.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769&page=10

there is a rule of thumb that you should run 1 minute slower per km than your current 10km pace on easy runs

this is a rough estimate but helps in balancing one's training

Cheers and nice to hear you chirpy again

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 20-04-2010

Hey TheEd,

Thanks for Dave's Forum link - have had a quick general read around, was refreshing to hear someone doing well, inspiring!

His pace rates look interesting and something to emulate. I remember the +1 min/km slower than current 10km race pace. This was on mind my mind yesterday during the 5km, what's more interesting is this 5km course has got some decent little climbs in it, so was pleased with effort/pace and semi-proving I'm at 40 min 10km pace right now in effect?

Will keep an eye on Dave's thread in future. Thanks for putting me onto it.

On a different note, had some troubles getting off to sleep last night (3am :nowaySmile. Had loads of chores to do last night after got in from Surfing and didnt sit down to unwind from the day properley.

Nevermind, feel OK'ish this morn, early one tonight. I've actually ordered one of those motivational books - "The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal". It was the Managing Energy bit I was after, were thinking of tatoo'ing this part to the inside of my eyelids! These books are sometimes crummie, but thought it might help make me do something about it!

Recovery today - legs are a little sore, nothing specific. Might pop in for another surf at 6pm this evening for an hour no more. Will see how go thru day. Will update later. May be get out tomorrow for an Easy 4miler?

Btw, looking like the Surf Holiday is going to be cancelled with all the Iceland Volcano, a real shame, will have to be another time. If so, looks like I could get a clearer run up to that 10Km I had booked for a week this Sunday. I did a 41:30 there last year which was a PB from year b4. I might be able to do it justice if I keep my head together over the next few days! :yes:

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 21-04-2010

Hey TheEd,

Got out at lunch today on the work 4miler (2miles d/hill, 2 up).

Had a busy morning and let myself go downhill holding easy pace, weather was amazing and felt need to push myself a bit uphill. Made 1st 3Km in 12:55. Back up hill wind was in face, dug in, felt strong and finished strong.

Effort ended up being moderate/hard.
Hrate Avg 145bpm
Time: 30:55
Pace: 4:55/km

Were pleased to do this with the 10Km looming a week on Sunday. Were thinking of a suitable run to finish off week on Friday - what do you recommend, an easy 5 miler or something? Or even some speedworK? :mmm: Will have access to a professional 400mm running track on Friday - could use for something?

Sat: Surf holiday is back on after flight restriction lifted. Fly out Sat morn.

1st Day surf on Sunday @10:30am. Were thinking of doing a strictly easy 4miler as a warm up for rest of day. After Sun:

Mon: Surfing
Tues: AM Surfing PM: 3 miler easy/walk.
Wed: Rest.
Thurs: 7am: 4 miler easy, maybe some + short bursts at race pace. 10am Surf
Fri: Surf
Sat: Come home
Sun PM: 10Km race: Moderate pace. Forget the PB!

Any advice on any of this much appreciated. Am planning to ditch any running if feeling jaded or not recovering. The 10Km on Sunday is not my focal point. After holiday it will be time for me to focus on the running.

Hope to hear form you soon,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 23-04-2010

Hi D .. apologies for slight delay

if I were you I would consider 'fartlek' instead of a regimented track session

look to run at 3 minute bursts at perceived 5 to 10km effort

with 2 to 3 minutes recovery between each and looking to do about 5 in total

try to not go too fast in the beginning so the session is enjoyable and the 3 minute burst is correctly paced

let's see how you feel after that

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 03-05-2010

Hey TheEd,

How's your week been? Hope your running well.

Had a blast surfing last week on holiday - 25 hours in the water, paddled and surfed my heart out for five days. Tough wave conditions, but warm and sunny. Improved technique substantially. Managed to get three runs in, experienced calf tightness after Sat and Suns runs, OK last in week. Accumulated a groin strain from surfing, faded towards end of week.

Sat PM: 4 miles easy
Sun AM: 2km w/up, then 5x1km at 10km pace - held 4:00 v.comfortably. Surfed rest of day.
Mon: Surf
Tues: Rest
Wed: Surf
Thurs: Surf
Fri: AM: 2miles easy, 2 miles with 4/km bursts. Surf rest of day.
Sat: Travel home
Sun: 10Km Race:

Time: 42:49 (last year 41:28)
Hrate Avg: 158 (last year 157)

Strong start up 1km hill, windy to 4Km, from 4.5 to 6 found v.hard. Seem to breakdown whole race in stages with slow sections to recover ie after water stations. After 6.5 with wind behind tried to ramp up h/rate above 160, really struggled. Speed increased after 8km due to dowhill section, legs had speed and coped with extreme downhill section very well. Finished hard, very pleased with effort considering the week build up and quantity of exercise, felt like I managed the race a lot better than ever, even though were tired...onwards and most certainly upwards!

With last years race heart rate average similiar to this years, I need to work on elevating this avg to where it should be for 10km for my Hrate ranges ie 170+, obviously this will maintain a higher km pace which I know my legs are capable of - how do I achieve this?

Feel like a few days off to get back into work and being home. Were thinking of an easy 4 miler on Thurs and start building back up again from there? What you say?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 03-05-2010

looks quite good considering what you have in the engine .. nice going to be honest

now let's look after oneself and work back slowly and things should definitely improve

stay healthy and well

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 05-05-2010

Hey TheEd,

Had a decent days rest y/day, just some stretching at lunch and early night last night - felt v.tired today though. Stretched again at lunch.

Surf was up today here in a big way. Got in at 4:30pm, conditions were perfect, the best day of the year without doubt. Surfed until couldnt lift my arms to paddle. Got out at 8pm...going to need some serious rest in next few days. There's probably very little waves to come here now till Sept, so worth going out with a bang.

Was planning a very easy 4 miler tom lunch, will see how feel in morn.

There's a half marathon a week on Sunday I was thinking of entering to get my longer running capability up to scratch. Can enter on the day - is this sort of distance at steady pace a good training distance to help with 10k races?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 06-05-2010

Hey TheEd,

Apologies for the over-exuberant post last night - feet back on the ground now after 3.7 miler at lunch today :wow: - was tough, felt every step. Done a 1km warm up and stretch then went out with colleagues who are racing on Sunday, they couldn't go easy and I felt had to keep up just to get my tired self round! Afterwards had another thorough stretch. All in all after y/day feel amazing so very happy. Planning to maybe stretch tom lunch. No exercise Sat or Sun, ready to start Monday.

Regarding the half marathon I mentioned y/day, am still half interested whether I could enter - feel it could help me prepare for the next 10Km on June 13th. Would be great to hear you advice.

Todays Run Info:

Dist: 3.7 miles
Av HR: 145bpm
Time: 29:22

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 07-05-2010

Hi D .. your feedbacks are always well received .. a slow reply is often more related to juggling my schedule

the problem with 21km is it could lead to a few niggly problems as currently it is over distance and you do not have any real running consistency

I would be a little cautious about the distance

if you able to put a few cycles of consistency together then you hasve something to build on and 21km would probably be easier

your thoughts?

TheEd