Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 28-05-2010

Hey Thed,

Went for club handicap y/day - it turned out to be a race really:4.2miles (6.8Km). Estimated time at 31:00. Route was v.hilly, 2 laps. Realised that set time too fast before set off so tried to make sure I got near it. Weren't allowed watches so made it interesting, felt good actually. Felt pretty strong all the way round to last 0.5km with a tough little hill, also lost pace going downhill, handbrake was on somewhat. Came in about tenth out of 40.

They havnt published times but reckon it was the 31:00 mark or thereafter. Calves were tight, I wasn't winded and recovered with 2 or 3 mins unlike some of the top ten so pleased. Felt I still had plenty of speed to discover. Reckon Hrate was mid 160's, maybe last 160's towards end.

There is seriously good surf this afternoon so going to get in and lap it up as its a fantastic day here. Will report recovery and hopefully time from last night tomorrow - have a great Fri eve!

Cheers,

D

:yes:

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 28-05-2010

please be cautious now as you making progress

the tight calves are a warning so consider only running Sunday and then you can go for an easy 1hr

hope the surf was good

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 29-05-2010

Hey TheEd,

Forgot to ask - did run the Copenhagen Marathon? Or were you organising? How did it go?

Thanks for the cautionary note y/day - much appreciated.

Surfing was very good indeed, nearly 3 hours in the water, two different beaches as well - hour in one, and nearly two in another! Shoulders were hanging off, catching loads of waves - very happy Wink Stoking....Confusedurf:

Recovered considerably well this morn - very clear head. Calves still a little tight. Were thinking of a very, very easy bike ride this afternoon as friend has lent me his gem of a race bike - Cannondale SLX150, a real beauty. Was thinking of doing 5 or 6 miles just to get a little heat up after y/day surf and lack of sweating out toxins from being in the water etc - then have a good stretch after to help calves.

1 hour tomorrow sounds ideal, looking forward to it.

Bank holiday weekend here, Monday & Tues off - planning a big mountain bike session Tues - might be 37km or even 70kms depending on friends training regime as he has a 24hour adventure race coming up.

Will keep you posted on progress,

Thanks for the tips as always - happy weekend!

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 29-05-2010

Have the 10.5km trail race in two weeks...with this in mind were thinking of trying that local, hilly 6mile trail route tomorrow, reckon it might take me an 1hr at easy pace-good plan or stick to Tarmac?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 30-05-2010

that sounds good but do take things easily as you have expended a lot of energy in the surf

enjoy

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 30-05-2010

Hey TheEd,

Report:

Dist: Approx 8miles(13Kms)
Time: 1:09:23
Avg HR: 138bpm
Avg Spd Approx: 5:24/k
Route: Varied, very undulating.

15 min bike ride to start. At 40mins hit 5 miles and could have ended at 6 and 50mins, but felt steady on feet so decided to end via longer route. Was tough as entertained long gradually increasing hill to end. Walked on after clock stopped to warm-down. Left calf was noticable, reverted to heel stricking to take heat off here and there - worked OK. No probs afterwards after good stretch and bath.

V.pleased with effort, could be faster and more fluent. Would like to try this route next week again and aim to lower average HR. The route is very varied, tarmac, track, field, wood etc perfect prep.

Just to add, at 3.5miles after a long decent in Wood theres a huge 350-400m climb - got to top, no stop and jogged on, recovered very well. HR peaked at 170bpm.

Same again at end, theres a good 250-300m pavement climb - great practice for the 10.5Km race in a fortnight.

Relaxing for rest of day (maybe a little DIY). Might do a few recovery miles on friends race bike tomorrow depending on energy levels. How many miles not sure. There is a club run PM, usually its run at your own pace so could go along and do a few slow/easy. What you recommend?

Tues AM going out on up 60+Km MTB ride. No running after this till Thurs I reckon!

Look forward to hearing any feedback. Hope you're having a great weekend,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 30-05-2010

D .. you must keep reminding yourself to do plain easy runs as well .. these will help you long-term and will provide consistency

simply tick over without the need for fast / slow .. trails or pace

these truthfully lay the foundation to build on and make the quality of a development nature

so see if you can learn to 'waddle' without intent

and I only say this as you seem to be making progress and would hate to see the house that D built come crashing down

so I am truthfully happy to see you going forward but also very wary Wink

hope this helps

TheEd
ps.. as for Copenhagen Marathon, it is a working weekend

Hey TheEd,

Feel I understand what your saying about the above idea - running and being out just to simply enjoying being able to...no necessary focus of the run with a part to play in a race build up or anything else - just treat it like time to day-dream, think about whats for dinner...?! :mmm:

OK then, next run will be when it feels right, when I feel right - will make it a waddle-to-daydream escape...no thinking, no particular pace, or dist, just head out and take in the surroundings - good karma...can feel it already! :whistle:

Many thanks for your all your advice over the many months, this 'house D built' has been based on solid and sound advice - here's to the future and the next stage, onwards and upwards,

Catchup next later in the week,

Happy waddling!

D

Hey TheEd,

Feel I understand what your saying about the above idea - running and being out just to simply enjoying being able to...no necessary focus of the run with a part to play in a race build up or anything else - just treat it like time to day-dream, to think about what to make for dinner...?! :mmm:

Next run will be when it feels right, when I feel right - will make it a waddle, no particular pace, or dist, just head out and take in the surroundings - good karma...can feel it already! :whistle:

You are right to be wary, however I think this recent progress is something to do with that book I mentioned 'Managing Energy, Not Time' has had a serious influence. Its helped to realise I need to be less focussed more of the time and less disciplined to gain more perspective. Its a security mechanism that needs evolving. Its all making more sense.

Many thanks for all your advice this year, it has been greatly appreciated - I'm looking forward to the what the next stages of my training bring...even if its learning how to waddle more often!!!

Catchup again soon,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 31-05-2010

magic .. enjoy bank monday

Smile