Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 04-06-2009

Hi TheEd,

Thanks for your suggestion - I'm going to take today off and start back tomorrow at Day 10 (60 mins easy run) and build up to Day 19 to the race.

I should be getting my Polar watch back next week, so will be able to chart some more accurate distances/times. Will let you know how I get on,

Cheers,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 07-06-2009

Hi TheEd,

As previously mentioned, I was planning to do Day 12, the 5k Pace run today.

Got watch back at last, so was looking forward to gauging the 5k pace run I did a few weeks back.

Start out the door to the 5k start point at easy pace to warm up, after about 5 mins started to feel a reasonably sharp pain in left achilles, quite high up under/near calf. I thought it was cramp so tried stretching out but it didn't have any effect. Sometimes its tight in this area after some heavy sessions, but usually the tightness is manageable and clears up after warming up. This is different so I decided to abort and walked home.

I don't understand, I have not run since Thurs which was an Easy 30 mins. Wed I did a 40 mins easy, Tues I did the 10 x 400m which went well, however I did report tight calves. Maybe I should've have rested Thurs?

The only other cause may have been from surfing yesterday and Friday - although this is extraordinarily low impact on the legs compared to running.

Going to ice the area in question and rest up. I might do a bike ride this evening to sweat out a little bit, might help repair - what a nuisance.

Best regards,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 07-06-2009

Tight calves are a sign of overuse and can be directly related to the 400's

where did you do the session, try to find a tartan or grass track for these as they should not be done on the road as the road surface would cause problems

please keep me informed

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 08-06-2009

The tight calves weren't that much of an issue after the 400's, no more sore than usual - I reckon I just did too many short runs the days after instead of taking a whole days rest. The aforementioned soreness on left achilles has already cleared up today. Going to do an hours bike and stretch, will see how things are tomorrow.

If OK tomorrow, what do you recommend I try and run between now and Sundays race? Some easy runs, a little pace work?

Cheers,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 09-06-2009

hyperspace

run with a few easy runs and if you understand how to do the 6 x 1 minute fast @ race pace with 1 min slow in-between then you can do that session 2 days before race

please provide feedback regarding legs

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 10-06-2009

TheEd,

Managed a 25 min Easy/Med run today. Left calf/achilles was fine, no apparent soreness. Put a few little medium pace sections in half way round just to get my h/rate up. There was a fast downhill section towards the end which I thought might trigger the calf - however, no problems. Stretched afterwards, all appears ok.

Was thinking of doing a longer 40-50 Easy tomorrow, around a mixed terrain route which has some softer sections to reduce time on tarmac and chance of triggering calf soreness. Then do the 30 mins easy with 6x1mins on/off on Friday. Rest Saturday, race Sunday.

Hows does that sound?

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 10-06-2009

restrict your runs to 5km in total tomorrow

and then you can roll towards race day

hope all works out

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 11-06-2009

HI TheEd,

Was shattered when I got up this morn so decided to rest. Will do the 30mins Easy, 6x1's on/off tomorrow. I was going to rest on Sat (day before race on Sunday), do you recommend doing 5k's easy with some strides as I missed today?

Cheers,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 11-06-2009

do as suggested hyperspace

take rest then the 6 x 1 min

Rest

and race

Cheers and good luck

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 14-06-2009

Hi TheEd,

Result of 10K trail race - managed 45:15. Route actually measures 10.45Km. Was a bit slippery after some rain last night, its quite a tricky course. PB last year was 46:42 so pleased to improve on it.

It was very warm 22-23C. Been feeling under par last few days, heavy legs and poor sleep quality. Wasn't up for it at all when got there. Legs were like jelly after 2K's! Nearly pulled out as felt rough with stomach upset. Got to 5k's and just stuck in there. Stitched kicked in rest of way - managed a decent finish, however overall well under par. Would have been interesting to see time if had been sharper and on form.

I've got to go away on work next week, so going to have a break for few days to refresh and start a new 19 day cycle a week tomorrow - next race is July 10th, 10Km road race. It supposed to be quite undulating, not a PB course.

Will keep posted upon commencing new cycle. Hope you training is going well, thanks for all your help,

Regards,

Daryl