Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 15-06-2010

TheEd,

Not so good nights sleep last night - 7hrs not enough, need better unwind tonight.

Lunch Run: Aimed for a waddle with work mates, ended up Easy pace@130bpm, 3.7 miles, 30:32. Felt every step of way, calves still v.tight. Decent stretch after.

After work: Surf was up - unbelievable waves, short session due to tide, 1hr, caught some near 6ft'ers!!! Were a little tired and struggled with focus out there, however got a good paddle and pounding from some big sets coming in! Happy days. Confusedurf:

Relaxing this evening. Might do some gym work tomorrow. Will update on the calves - btw is there anything I can do in the gym to help conditioning the calves or is it just more speed work?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 15-06-2010

lol not more speedwork but could help by checking the condition of your shoes as well as increasing certain food groups to help recovery

potassium (maybe bananas?) for starters

try to relax up .. enjoy the surfing and take the mental intensity of HAVE TO DO out of the running, let it come naturally without chasing a goal

without a little base of running consistency you going to be stuck on this cycle

onwards and forwards

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 15-06-2010

Have been running a lot with X-Trail shoes over last three weeks so might have contributed...

Hear you on the 'chasing goals' - only planning on one more run this week alone. Just been thinking about the next 10k race booked for Fri 8th July, basically three weeks this Friday - plenty of time to prepare for a PEAK PERFORMANCE!!!

Eat Banana's everyday - I remember getting calves this sore last year in May when I hit my PB for 10K@40:31, must be endemic for me on the build to run super-fast 10k's!

Looking forward to some more relaxing now...

Catch up again, thanks for the kind words

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 17-06-2010

Hey TheEd,

No running today - rested y/day. Feeling v.drained and tired this morning after nights sleep. Running this eve was a definite no-no.

Been on training course at work all week as well, been v.enjoyable however quite challenging and therefore prob contributing to tiredness compounded with this recent virus or whatever it is.

Also had some digestive issues y/day and today so backing right off all exercise, may even decided to take rest of week off till Monday. To be honest it feels a little like burn out so ho hum - good thing am aware and responding accordingly :yes:

Going away next Mon eve to music festival to work from next Thurs onwards.

Might just use this next few days to prepare for next week and manage energy levels accordingly with some waddles next week to get me through to when back home the week after.

All the best for good health,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 17-06-2010

good stuff some relaxed running will do you the world of good

enjoy the change of scenery

it always benefits race horses, the change of scenery, so no reason it cannot benefit you

:tourist:

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 20-06-2010

Hey TheEd,

Had a bumpy few days, no exercise now since Tuesday until this morn - think its been the virus, phases of feeling better then not. Also plenty of sleep disturbance. I have an idea the body doesn't like much not doing any exercise at all, even when you're supposed to be resting!!!

Anyhow after a scracthed MTB session last night, managed 30Km on MTB this morning just to get out the house and get system working. Although not sharp, felt incredibly strong on hills. V.busy all weekend preparing to go away tomorrow.

Might go for a waddle later this eve and tomorrow lunch. Might take bike away with me as well as have a 100Km MTB marathon two weeks today so need to keep mileage up. Will keep you posted.

Hows things your end? Getting any decent mileage in? How about the weather? Been OK?
Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 20-06-2010

Hi D .. hopefully it all becomes a little easier

good to see you staying positive

TheEd
ps.. as for myself, I am in a heck of a lot of trouble, my wife floated under 20 minutes for 5km, so I must hurry and dump the 6kg to catch up in pace, all good fun though

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 30-06-2010

Hey TheEd,

How are you?

Back home here after a week away at music festival. Managed to get two sessions in last week, not an amazing amount, however did lots of walking as well.

Wed: 27 mile bike ride in 1:40:00
THurs: 6km Easy in 32:00 - calves v.tight after for following 2-3 days. Had to work 24 hours over weekend with some 4:00 am starts!

During the music festival from Fri to the Sun, must have walked at least 10-12 miles as well around festival site - its was 1100 acres!!!

Both cycle and run last week were hilly and not bad considering the travelling tiredness and v.hot weather.

Back to work today - managed a 8.5km Easy'ish effort round Woods Loop. Felt floaty and strong - calves tight at end, have stretched well.

100km marathon bike ride on Sunday. Biking to work tomorrow, gym at lunch - were thinking of doing 4 miles Easy on Friday - strictly easy as well as today was pushing it a little.

Have 10km race lined-up for next Friday (a week the day after tomorrow). All things considered enjoyed the break last week even though it was a working break!!! Feeling refreshed and renewed, just concious of getting quality relax time and recovery before pushing back on with the quality running sessions.

If you have any other suggestions for Friday's run please let me know - whould it be worth doing a harder tempo run instead of going easy over 4 miles in prep for the following Fridays race?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 30-06-2010

Hi D .. it truthfully sounds as though you had a great time

well worth it

depending on how your legs feel maybe you would like to consider a 5 x 1000m session with 2 minutes rest around 4 to 4.10 per k, to give you a feel as to what to expect for next week so you don't set yourself up for not what to expect?

over to you

session must be done the latest Saturday

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 02-07-2010

TheEd,

OK, 5x1000m went v.well today. Four of us tried it out. All went smoothly. V.Warm here, started out steady then managed rest all with good gusto.

Watch memory was full so no record of splits or pace. Real time pace was varying between 4:00-4:20 even on hills on track at workplace (2laps=1000m).

Calves did tighten up but nowhere near as bad as expected. Used lightweight race shoes, felt good. Did a quick core session and stretch after, feeling strong all round, although a little tired now.

Off to 100km Mountain Bike venue this eve. Competing on Sunday - 2.4km of vertical climb in total across the Yorkshire Dales, Penine region so will be a serious workout.

Will update on Sun/Mon for advice on next run.

Have a great weekend,

D