Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 12-06-2011

TheEd,

Pulled out of today's 10Km race - had slightly later night and when woke up were not up for it, also it was too far to drive. Decided to a long run near home this afternoon instead:

1:35:40/9.1 miles/122 Avg HR/10:26 pace

Were waddling along nicely (with a little walking) until about 6 miles then it was slow and tough, had to waddle/walk home. Were prob a bit too tired. At least I got out as the weather has been dismal.

Swim tomorrow. Waddle Tues lunch. Might do a light/med MTB Tue eve. Rest Wed.

Have a 10Km race booked for Fri July 8th. Know that's not far away, but felt need to get focussed. This being the case, I should start first 19-day cycle for it next Sunday. However the following Fri, Sat, Sun am at a music festival working some potentially unsociable hours - might struggle to get the 90 mins easy in on the Fri, also the 30 mins easy on Sat and Sun. Am going to follow the sub-45 min schedule btw. Also, were thinking about doing a bike instead of the 90mins run, may be 30+ miles instead?

Am going to start the cycle early to give me a bit of slack to make I get all the sessions in with adequate rest - good idea? So instead of doing over 19 days will do it over 22. At least I can make sure I get the 90 mins in and try and pick the 30 mins easy's up where I can without getting too tired whilst being away.

Will take a look at my schedule. Looking at my whole approach to this with more flexibility - trial and error I suppose!

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 13-06-2011

consider training every 2nd day for now

lower the quality sessions and runs by 20% and make the most of the extra day recovery

then once you get into a pattern you can look to starting training

for now enjoy the relaxed approach

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 06-07-2011

How goes it TheEd? Hope you and the family are well.

Been well out the picture here working at music festivals and training courses - over 2 weeks away from home, its been very nice!

Did a lot of wellington boot wearing and walking in mud at the music festival. Unfortunately no running until this week after a week away on a work training course last week. My grandad past away last week, so a little extra to deal with, however it was expected so OK.

My plan for a 10km race this Friday which I booked way back is tentative. Managed a 22 mins waddle y/day and the same today. Cycling to work tomorrow. Feeling a little heavy (although bodyweight is not up) and not bouncy so need to ease back in. Are taking pulse and bodyweight every morning now without fail as I am determined to monitor my recovery from now on very closely.

On the whole feeling very refreshed after all the studying, work commitments, so all good. Looking forward to a steady-ship this month before a possible surf holiday in August in Indonesia if I can sort the flights...

Will keep you posted with progress...will waddle away - hows your going?

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 07-07-2011

good to hear things are on the up

running and the exciting prospect of a surfing holiday

would be great to chat more about this and whether you could write about it and take some pics

Chat soon

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 26-07-2011

Been pre-occupied with some big changes going on at work. Had to cancel holiday until Oct due to lack of suitable flights.

Been doing some mountain biking to keep things ticking over. Did a 100Km Cross Coutnry MTB on Sunday - took me 7 hours with only a back brake - didnt manage to fall off once!

Considering I havent had any big ride outs of anything near this distance was impressed with my skills on the technical stuff. However at 50km were shot, but managed to get through the next 50Km (plus a 5-7Km detour!)

Did a few little waddles last week, however nothing significant. Planning to carefully ease back into the waddles later this week and next. Easy does it I say. Have bought a new Polar watch: RS800CX. Looking forward using it. Have been taking HRate and weight every morning now, without fail so dead serious about my recovery strategies from now on! Wink Why has it take this long?!

OK, will keep you posted as the waddles build. Aiming for a big 10km performance in Nov - its the one I missed last year and the year before due to illness and poor form, its a city loop, big crowd and fast. Have to get that sub-40 min this year!

Catch up soon,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 27-07-2011

Good to read D .. the stubborn stamina still serves a purpose .. Smile

good to have you focusing forward

TheEd
ps.. have been doing short runs of recent and slowly building things up .. lots of changes coming our side so hopefully we able to maintain

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 07-08-2011

Hey TheEd,

Hope you are well. Good to hear you are building up, slow but sure huh! Same here...

Last week exercise:

Mon: Rest

Tues: Rest

Wed: Waddle/4.0Km/25:34/132HRAv/HRrestAM:44

Thurs: MTB/Woods/7km/51:56/111HRAv/HRrestAM:44

Fri: Gym/Stretch/Light Core

Sat: Yorkshire Three Peaks Walk/25.4miles/1700m Ascent/10 hours/No HR

Sun: Rest/HRrestAM: 47

Saturdays walk was excellent, really enjoyed the climbs, were tough but manageable. Weather was wet and windy up to top of peaks.

Might bike to work tomorrow. Stretch at lunch.

Tues: PM:Light Swim

Wed: Lunch: 4 mile waddle

Thurs: Medium 45 mins MTB Woods

Fri: 5 mile waddle

Sat: Rest

After this week coming, the following week are going to focus on the waddles as staying away on work.

Will keep you posted,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 08-08-2011

getting nice and consistent D .. nice to see

and looks like you enjoying it all

TheEd
ps.. been playing a little footie so running negated

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 08-09-2011

Hey TheEd,

Long time no post! How's the TheEd household holding up?

Been a busy month of visiting family, friends and dating here! Had some pretty serious stuff going on at work as well with management issues - ho hum, hopefully all sorted out now.

On the positive side I have been healthily getting out and about and catching up with people whilst the summer has been around. My training has taken a serious back seat. To top it all off last week I was out jogging with my sister who is on a weight-loss drive, and managed to go over on my left ankle....major sprain - had an x-ray, no fracture thankfully. Happened last Friday, have been icing and limping on since.

Did some light rowing y/day, some weights and some core so not completely out of action. However cant see myself waddling for at least another week to 10 days. The ankle is black and blue and still swollen. Havnt done anything like this for years!

Am still icing and already doing exercises to keep mobility up and start the re-hab. Mindful of scar tissue so going to get some Ultra Sound on it next week and then start a slow gradual recovery...what a stumbling block, literally!

Any advice on swollen ankles greatly appreciated....

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 09-09-2011

nice regarding ankle Wink .. ice and strapping for during the day .. at evening one last ice and then put a warm cloth or other on the area before you go sleep and try sleep with the leg on a cushion to aid elevation

should be right as rain as soon as

nice to read the positiveness in the post

TheEd
ps.. we in the midst of major changes and plans .. will let you know more when kicked through