Running Information Forums
Less than 10k advice - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Less than 10k advice (/Thread-Less-than-10k-advice)

Less than 10k advice - Mac44 - 27-05-2009

Hi I am currently applying to the RCMP which is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. For the training that I would be going to there are some runs that they have bench mark times for. 1.5 miles Superior is 9:00min and recommended is 11:00min. For the 2.5 mile 19:00 is superior and 21:00 is recomended.
Now the only time that has to be acheived is 4:00 min on a PARE test which consists of 6 laps of a circuit, during each lap I must do a 5 foot long jump. Go up and down two sets of stairs 5 high. Hurdle two 18 inch hurdles. Hop over a 3ft vault and then do a controlled fall to the stomcah on laps 1,3,5 and fall onto back for laps 2,4,6. The total length of each lap is about 60 meters. Following that there is a push pull device where a circuit must be performed. (but I am mostly interested with the running portion of the PARE test) I currently ran the test at 3:07 so well below the standard but I want to improve that as well as get my 1.5 and 2.5 mile runs down to superior.

The 3:07 that I ran was in the middle of January when there was not a lot of opportunity to run as it was cold outside with lots of snow where I live. My training consisted of floor hockey one night a week and then 3 easy half hour runs on a treadmill.

As for where I am at now, Starting in early March I startedwith the sub 45min 10k program and went through that twice before an 8km road race on May 3. My time for that race was 33:27.
Should I go on the sub 40 10k programm as is, or should I cut out the 2000's and put in an extra set of 400's or perhaps some 200's jsut looking for a little advice to knock that PARE down as well as a little quicker for the 1.5 and 2.5 mile.

Thanks Mac

Less than 10k advice - TheEd - 28-05-2009

Hi Mac and welcome

you may have a bit of latent talent there

go onto the sub 40 minute 10km program

and we shall shuffle things around so that it provides more for what you need

When will you start with the program, as the 6x1000m will be Day 3?

we will add a further session in at the back end of quality sessions aimed more at what you need, however we need to do this cautiously as it could be high risk due to the tempo of the session, which is short and sweet but a great deal faster

TheEd

Less than 10k advice - Mac44 - 28-05-2009

TheEd

I was looking at my first post and the 2.5 mile run should have read 3 mile.
I think I will start the sub 40 min program next week June 2nd as it is three weeks out from my PARE that I need to run on the 19th of June.

Should I do anything higher intensity before then other than my last night of floor hockey on Sunday or just keep it easy until then?

Less than 10k advice - TheEd - 28-05-2009

structure begins next week so for now enjoy the ease of running and enjoyment

Cheers

TheEd

Less than 10k advice - Mac44 - 05-06-2009

TheEd
Today is day three so I was supposed to do the 6x1k 3:45 to 3:50. I could come up with all kinds of excuses as to why I didn't finish but here are my times.
KM 1 3:58 R 90
KM 2 3:58 R 90
KM 3 4:02 R 90
KM 4 3:58 R90
KM 5 4:23
KM 6 Didn't do. But thinking later I should have just pushed through even if it is substantialy worse and at least finish the session.
What is next continue with the sub 40 until day 8 then do the 6x1k's again or should I do the 400's then, or what do you suggest.

Thanks Mac

Less than 10k advice - TheEd - 05-06-2009

continue with the program as is and we reassess before starting the next cycle

you have to give yourself a chance to adapt to the training and your 1000m times were not bad

TheEd

Less than 10k advice - Mac44 - 07-06-2009

Sounds good I look forward to the 1000's again on Tuesday.

Less than 10k advice - TheEd - 07-06-2009

we may need to talk a little more on where you are and how things are going towards your goals, please?

need to have a clearer picture from you

of what you doing etc

Thanks

TheEd