Running Information Forums
Sub 40 10km plan- 3/4 days a week?? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 40 10km plan- 3/4 days a week?? (/Thread-Sub-40-10km-plan-3-4-days-a-week)

Pages: 1 2 3

Sub 40 10km plan- 3/4 days a week?? - supersplurk - 26-06-2012

Hello and thanks for reading.
I am new to the forum. I was hoping that some more experienced runners could help me with my aim of running under 40 minutes for 10km (I appreciate that many runners might have asked this in the past so I understand if people are bored by this type of request).
I am 30 and a reasonably regular runner who has been running off and on for about 4 years. I have done quite a few 5 and 10km races, 3 half marathons and, this April, the London Marathon. I am now getting back into regular training after a break from running since completing London.
Apart from my first 6 months of running, all my 10km times have ranged between about 43:30 and 40:30 (depending on how much I have been training) - but never under 40!
I have now entered a 10km race series and want to try and take advantage of my marathon training and break 40 minutes – my target would be the fourth race of the series in the first week of September (the first race was the start of this month).
So, I was wondering if any one could suggest a 3 or 4 day a week sub 40 min work out with duration of 8 – 10 weeks or so. I would really appreciate any help or feed back or general pointers from any members.
Thanks in advance

Oh, if it helps my most recent results are:
5KM: 19:15 (June 2011)
10KM: 41:50 (June 2012)
Half Marathon: 1:30:30 (Sept 2011)
Marathon: 3:26:10 (April 2012)

Sub 40 10km plan- 3/4 days a week?? - TheEd - 26-06-2012

Hi supersplurk and welcome to forums

taking yourrecent 5k time you can look at the sub 40 minute 10km schedule

http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/sub40.htm

and then look at juggling the program around according to your current training levels

what we need to know from you is what your longest run is so far and how often you train each week? And whether you have any history of injuries or whether you have any current niggles etc

once we have this feedback then we can get the ball rolling

cheers

TheEd

Hi Ed
thanks for the swift reply, much appreciated.
From January to the end of April I followed a marathon training plan where I ran 5-6 times a week. My average mileage was 40ish miles and my peak mileage was 60 miles a week. During this period I did 3 runs over 18 miles (18/20/22) and 1 mid week run of 10-12 miles each week. After the marathon I took 3 weeks off during May and have now eased back into running 3 times a week and have a 10km race on the first Sunday of each month in June(41:50)/July/August/Sept.
I am not currently following a structured plan and I am just running 3-4 times per week, each orun somewhere between 6-12 km. My average run pace is anywhere between 4:20/5:00km depending on how I feel. I log nearly all my runs online and can share them if needed.
I don't have any history of injuries and currently have no noticable niggles apart from a very slight tightness in my left hamstring which is not stopping me from running as of yet.
Hopefully this helps. Thank you very much for your help and if you need any more info please ask.

Sub 40 10km plan- 3/4 days a week?? - TheEd - 26-06-2012

good stuff splurk

the bulk of the training takes place between Day 3 to Day 8 (included)

I would recommend that you maintain a longish run over the weekend on Day 5

you could go straight into doing the 5 x 2k session at the prescribed pace in the schedule this Thursday as Day 3

and then provide feedback thereafter .. if you use a heart rate monitor you can also provide those details

in-between the quality sessions you can have a day off or active recovery such as a swim for example

how does this sound?

Cheers

TheEd

Hi Ed,
once again thanks for the swift reply - great service!
This doesn't quite work as I have a 10km race this Sunday (1st July). I was thinking of 8km steady hills Wed (Tomorrow), easy Fri, racing on Sunday, two days rest and then starting the programme on Wed next week (4th July) allowing me to peak for next 10km race at start of August? Do you think this would work?
Also, I was considering 'easing' into it with 4 x 2km instead of 5 x 2km. Is this a good idea or should I just get stuck in and see where i'm at?
Thanks.

Sub 40 10km plan- 3/4 days a week?? - TheEd - 27-06-2012

do the last week of the training cycle before the event

and then on Saturday have the rest day and Friday do a light 20 to 30 minutes

Thursday 6 x 1 minute fast @ anticipated 10k race pace with 1 minute easy in-between (ask questions regarding session if unclear, it is a light fartlek session)

Wednesday would be an easy 30 to 40 minutes as you feel

no need for hillwork

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. then after the event provide feedback as to recovery and then we can look to Thursday being the Day 3 .. 5 x 2k

Sub 40 10km plan- 3/4 days a week?? - supersplurk - 27-06-2012

O.K great,
That is very clear.
I will start that today and will update here after the race on Sunday.

Sub 40 10km plan- 3/4 days a week?? - supersplurk - 02-07-2012

O.K.
So, I followed the last days of the training programme and did the race on Sunday but all did not go to plan!
The training runs went fine.
Wed – 30 mins easy (5.6km)
Thurs – warm up and 1mfast/1mslow x 6 (3.8km in total)
Fri – 30 mins at 140bpm (5.2km – pace felt very slow)
Sat – rest.
I’d felt good during and after all runs and any niggles had gone away.
However, on Saturday I went to a wedding and got a bit carried away, drank a substantial amount of wine and made it home at 2 AM. Predictably the race on Sunday morning was not one of my best. First of all I was late getting there and made it with a few minutes to spare which meant no warm up. Secondly, I ran it in 42:57 – a full minute slower than last month. Last month I ran a nearly 1 minute negative split and finished feeling like I’d held something back. This time I ran a 1 minute positive split and died a few deaths between 5-8km.
I can provide Km splits if needed. I have no HR data as I forgot to put my HR monitor in my bag when I left the house to go to the race (but I can tell you it was pretty high!).
Although it is a bit frustrating to see my times going backwards there are 2 positives I can take from this I guess:
1. I’m pretty sure I know why I was slower in this race and can fix this for next time.
2. I am now even more determined to start and follow a programme and bring my times down by the end of the series.
My aim for the next race (at the start of August) is 41 minutes (or less of course), which I think is doable.
Also, I’d be interested in hearing from any other runners about a warm up routine. I currently don’t have one and just make something up (when I do one at all). I’d like to get a routine in place which I could follow before all quality training sessions (5x2k/5k temo/12x400m etc) and all races and would be interested to hear if anyone has a routine they follow and works for them.

Sub 40 10km plan- 3/4 days a week?? - TheEd - 02-07-2012

Hi splurk .. as a quick shoot back .. here is a light warm up routine

http://www.time-to-run.com/beginners/warmup.htm

OK .. let's get the first cycle rolling

Tuesday is Day 1 and Thursday is Day 3 = 5 x 2k

keep the pace for the 2k session at 4.05 per k to keep it on the safe side

8.10 per 2k

the session will no doubt still be tough

maybe consider having a day off on Wednesday to ease into things after the weekend's 10k

Tuesday reduce to under an hour run to 30 to 40 minutes

please ask questions if need be

TheEd

Sub 40 10km plan- 3/4 days a week?? - supersplurk - 02-07-2012

o.K great.
That is clear. I will post some feedback after the 5x2k session on Thursday. I have no doubts that it will indeed be tough, I remeber doing a 4 x 2k a few months ago and that really hurt near the end. I will also wear my Hr monitor so I can provide feedback.
Should I run my easy runs by Hr or by pace?
Thanks.