Running Information Forums
10KM Sub 35 or Sub 40? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10KM Sub 35 or Sub 40? (/Thread-10KM-Sub-35-or-Sub-40)

10KM Sub 35 or Sub 40? - jmuise - 30-06-2009

Hey,

First off I have to say that the Sub 40 10KM training has been working very well for me. I have gone through 2 cycles of the Sub 40 10KM training and achieved my Goal of Sub 40 just a couple of days ago on what most people call one of the hardest 10KM courses in my area (39:46) so many hills!. So Thanks!

Now I am just starting my 3rd cycle of this training and was wondering should I continue on with the Sub 40 or start attacking the Sub 35. My goal is a race comming up on July 18th with my goal being to acheive the best time I can. I think I am capable of running about 38:30 but am unsure of what training schedule to follow for best results. I have think it would be best to take the Sub 40 and modify the interval trainning to a pace slightly faster.

What are your thoughts?
Jeff

10KM Sub 35 or Sub 40? - TheEd - 01-07-2009

Welcome and congrats on achieving sub 40 minutes

don't go too 'Helter Skelter' now, stick to the sub 40 minute program framework but increase the pace for 2000m by 5 to 10 seconds per km.

and thus the 1000m times also speed up.

Adaptation to everything else in the program will lead to results

Don't focus too much on the speed but more with becoming comfortable with the schedule, this leads to overall strength and with balanced development the results will come

after the next race we can reassess what to do next

TheEd

10KM Sub 35 or Sub 40? - jmuise - 22-07-2009

Hey,

I had my race this past Saturday, we had Thundershowers during the entire race combined with a very hilly course made for a very tough race. I ran 39:56 so I am happy with the result.

This was my 3rd cycle doing the Sub 40min 10KM training program and I feel like it's time for a break.

I did recovery runs on both Sunday and Monday and yesterday was my first day off my feet.

I guess I would like to know where to go from here, while I do need a couple days rest I do plan on running a few more races in a month or so.

Thanks

10KM Sub 35 or Sub 40? - TheEd - 22-07-2009

you may not need a long break however do take a look at

Off time

and then

The Build Up period

take a look at these links and then return to discuss what we can do for you and your understanding of what to do next, please?

Thanks

TheEd

10KM Sub 35 or Sub 40? - jmuise - 22-07-2009

Hey,

The next race I would like to particiate in is August 30th, that gives me approx 40 days. I was thinking maybe starting with the build up period followed by another cycle of the sub 40 minute training schedule.

I am not burnt out from the training I have done, I just need a day or two to relax and not worry about traning. I also think the light schedule of the build up period will be a welcome break as well.

I beleive I have plenty of room for imporvment, and given better race conditions and flatter course I do see myself taking a good chunk of time off my PB (Offically 39:56).

What do you think?

10KM Sub 35 or Sub 40? - TheEd - 22-07-2009

excellent .. there we have it

enjoy the 2 weeks and then onwards and forwards

TheEd