Running Information Forums
Is it too late for a sub 40 time? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Is it too late for a sub 40 time? (/Thread-Is-it-too-late-for-a-sub-40-time)

Pages: 1 2

Is it too late for a sub 40 time? - raymo - 19-07-2009

Hello, Im fairly new and undisciplined when it comes to running but would love to get a sub 40 time in the great yorkshire 10k on 6th sept. I run twice at week with no training plan in place. An example of what i can run is:

Road: (with some inclines) 5.4km in 20mins 30 secs, this pace would get me 40 min 45 secs in 10km- i wasn't feeling my best on this run.

Treadmill: 4km in 14 mins 40 secs with an incline of 2.

I do train in the gym a few times a week a little weights and circuits. I don't own a HR monitor. Do you think I should do those 2 km circuits I've read about? The race is 7 weeks today!! Do you think I'm being over amibitious? My girlfriend does Smile.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Is it too late for a sub 40 time? - TheEd - 20-07-2009

Welcome raymo

ambitious .. Yes .. over ambitious .. No

one thing against you is your lack of discipline as the program needs consistency to hit your goals

let's roll you out on the
[URL="http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/sub40.htm"]
sub 40 minute 10 km schedule[/URL]

so this Thursday you will expect to do the 5 x 2000m session

do not expect to finish the session, so don't place unnecessary pressure on yourself. I do believe you may have some natural ability which needs to be balanced correctly to achieve the Sept goal

What we need to know is what your age is and whether you have had any medical problems recently or have any problems with injuries etc

Till later

TheEd

Is it too late for a sub 40 time? - raymo - 20-07-2009

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Im getting on now- aged 36. Thats right, if i can get the discipline only for the next seven weeks then maybe i can do it. I did the London marathon 2 years ago in 4hrs 15 mins with no training (my legs hurt for a week), thats how bad my discipline is. But I'm determined this time to go for it as its only 7 weeks training. So tonight I will do some weights and then go for a light 3 mile run, and I shall do the 2ks on thursday. I haven't any medical problems, a little asthma but nothing serious. Pretty much injury free.

If I got under the 40 mark I would be over the moon!

regards

Is it too late for a sub 40 time? - TheEd - 20-07-2009

OK we chat again after the 2000's

whereas we looking at the sub 40 minute program we will not be getting you to do all the sessions, only the important ones

where you need to maintain discipline is not so much in doing the training but more in not doing silly things that are adverse to you and your goals

if we balance this correctly we should know if you ready within 5 weeks preparation

Enjoy

TheEd

Is it too late for a sub 40 time? - raymo - 20-07-2009

great, now i have to do it!

i shall post on friday morning.

Thanks

Is it too late for a sub 40 time? - raymo - 23-07-2009

Hello Ed

Today I did the 5 x 2ks with a 90 sec breather! It was a killer.

1: 7min 55
2: 8min 25
3: 8min 30
4: 8min 55
5: 8min 50

I've completed the first 3 days now, but am going to London for the weekend so not out again until Monday when I will be running everyday following the program. From these times do you think it's possible for the 10k in under 40min. It's a toughie.

Is it too late for a sub 40 time? - TheEd - 23-07-2009

raymo ... give it 5 weeks remember and also recall this was said

do not expect to finish the session, so don't place unnecessary pressure on yourself.

so you have done better than could have expected

now you have to slot in a 30 minute run on Saturday if possible, please

and even a 30 minute walk on Sunday

Rest Monday and then 1000's on Tuesday

This is quite important

TheEd

Is it too late for a sub 40 time? - raymo - 23-07-2009

Ok Thanks,

I shall take my trainers to London (the girlfriends not happy) and do a 30 min easy run on saturday. I will be doing lots of walking anyway the whole weekend probably about 6 hours in total. :-)

Then I will rest on Monday and do my 6 x 1kms on Tuesday. I shall let you know tues/weds the times I got.

Cheers

Is it too late for a sub 40 time? - TheEd - 23-07-2009

good stuff

remind the gf that it's a challenge and there is a lot to be gained from having a goal

:jive:

enjoy the weekend

TheEd

Is it too late for a sub 40 time? - raymo - 28-07-2009

Hi Ed

I did a 30 min light run through Hyde Park on Saturday morning which was nice , did plenty of walking on Sunday, did some weights yesterday. I did a weight circuit this morning with light weights and some cardio, and this afternoon did the 1km's:

1) 3 min 39 sec
2) 3 min 50 sec
3) 5 min 24 sec (very bad stitch after 200 metres)
4) 3 min 59 sec
5) 3 min 58 sec
6) 3 min 55 sec

I found it quite tough, should I carry on with the programme as it runs?

Cheers