Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 19-01-2014

focus on getting the legs and body to bounce back, no need for an hour tomorrow

20 minutes light running should be of more benefit

Tuesday look to do 3 x 5 minutes @ anticipated race pace with 2 to 3 minutes easy in-between

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 19-01-2014

Hi Ed
i read your thread a bit late but no problem i did 1 hour easy sunday..so ill say 30 mins
today and 3x5 mins tuesday..i can say more lessons been learned here so all good not
going worry about this race but in future only race after a 3 week cycle..live and learn so the say which means the trail race on the 8th of feb ill be on cycle and run the race as a training run.thanks again jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 20-01-2014

Hi Ed,
just having a think about things and would like to know your thoughts about me throwing in a few extra miles on certain days of the week. As I was saying about the races I will take them with a pinch of salt and see what happens. I had a good look at the sub 31 program and feel I could use the out lay off the program and adjust 1k rep time 2k etc to follow the program. Seems like a good idea to me and looks more interesting that what I've; been doing might just be the golden key what you recon? regards jon.Wink

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 20-01-2014

Jon .. we can certainly build towards that, however I wouldn't push it to get there, you have made good progress, if you had given yourself more recovery after the event you would feel OK

there is progress, and this can be seen by the last result, not by how you feel currently

we reshuffled the program to accommodate the upcoming event, if we had not done so I am sure you would be feeling a great deal better

after the next event you could look to go on the Build Up so that 1hr runs become standard fodder

once these are added we can switch back to the 10k and keep the 1hr runs in-between

TheEd
ps.. though, in my best advice, I think you should back off from yourself and let things be, and we add the 1hr runs in slowly, simply enjoying the process and not becoming too fixated on performance, but instead allowing it to happen in a natural way

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 21-01-2014

Hi Ed
quite a heavy thread i put down and thanks for your response.Your right i am getting to
strung up on performance.There is alot to be thankfull for so ill step down and let
training work its magic..been a bit of an emotional roller coster since the last race which has been pritty misrable.I cant help but want to drive the training on.i live it breath it and
sleep it.All in all the pointer are in place going to take a chill pill.Todays 3x5 was a flop
sadly the wind was so strong i struggled to get to 400 meters in 1.30 so i took a min rest and made it 8x1.30 didnt see the point of running 6min odd miles into the wind.I think i
will rest wednesday and saturday this week as disgust its my recovery and feel good factors gone out the window at present.Thats all for now going to rest up and stop mentally flogging myself regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 21-01-2014

that very attitude makes the champion and also breaks the champion

that is why you need a sounding board, to remind you that things are in fact OK

onwards

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 21-01-2014

Thanks Ed
i am sure you have seen it all before.I would say that come april i would like to put down a base phase thats going to last i can see my 3 week base phase in november last year should have been longer but lesson learned now so onwards and forward and thanks for
your support most greatfull regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 23-01-2014

Hi Ed
just to update ive had a day off yestoday and ran easy for 40mins this morning will do the
6x1min friday rest and travel saturday and race sunday. the plus side ive heard is that konkean north east thailand is very cold for what i am used too.Hopefully get going on sunday and be reporting back a good time till then regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 27-01-2014

Hi Ed,
just wanted to round a few things up now I've come back down to earth. The race went well steady running up to 6k before going up a gear the course was progressively uphill for the first 6k or so then undulated with some quick downhill sections so made some time up. My finish time was 41.20 which was good enough to win the age group which I was pleased about. I would guess that I went thought 10k in mid 35.30 ish forgot to look at the time..so on to training and racing Saturday the 8th is a trail race so I would start out my recovery for the next few days easy runs and a long run mid week and try to follow suit as I did for the prep for the last race hopefully get the 3x5 mins in there this time. What I would ask is when do you think I should go back to base phase?? I would like to see next month out with say two more races then stop racing. I feel that I want to up the miles on base phase as shown this time my recovery's been poor so need to work on that. Anyhow that's all I've got at this point thanks again and regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 27-01-2014

Nice to hear you happy .. don't look too far ahead for now .. focus on staying healthy, enjoying your running and we increase things slowly and methodically

consider doing an hour aerobic sometime this week

don't look to run fast during the week but consider some aerobic, the body will appreciate it more

on the weekend, you can look to do a controlled pace run

enjoy

TheEd