Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 14-12-2012

Jon .. do so .. I don't think there can be too much damage however stick to the run plan and you will hopefully avoid setbacks

enjoy

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 14-12-2012

Hi Ed,
thanks very much lets give it a go and see what happens regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 16-12-2012

Hi Ed,
hope all is well with you.Just to up date you on whats going on i ran an actual 10k this morning at a steady pace felt a bit uncomfortable but that told me it was right,I got to 8 in 30 mins and eased off for the last few kilometer with the game plan fixed in my head.It was hard to let people pass me but i knew not to go any quicker and try and enjoy it.To that end ive got no pain and feel optimistic things are going to be OK now.So on wards to training i figured you would tell me to carry on the cycle now and finish it off.Only one question what would i run in place of a race next weekend as that's when the cycle ends?Also i mentioned i will race on the 13th of January now its a trail race we have local i really want to pull the stops out on this one as ive finished 3rd and 2nd in the last two years so ive got it all on as a Kenyan guys going for his ha-trick.i was 1.30 sec. behind him last year so to get within a minute would be great think that's all for now regards Jon.Smile

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 16-12-2012

Hi Jon, nice to be disciplined and to stick to plans.

After the cycle you can look to do a 4k time-trial and then you have a marker.

In talking about the Trail race, beware of not setting yourself up with regards to too high expectations, as yesterday you were running easy due to a leg strain

allow for the training to develop you naturally, even if the pace sessions are slower than what you would like, if you have natural ability (which you show you have), then you will come on and should race above the sessions (pace) you are told to do, only though if you allow for your body to absorb the training and to become stronger.

you must give yourself a chance to come on naturally instead of pushing things due to expectations, don't read into everything, don't test yourself along the way, get to where you enjoying your running without pressure, doing the pace sessions as told, even if you consider it to be too slow and easy, and I guarantee you will bounce back and get to where you want to be and then work further forward in a way where you feel happy about your running

TheEd
ps.. I shall use this reply for a further post on TheEd's Blog, as I do believe that 'expectations' can often have a more detrimental pressure aspect

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 16-12-2012

Hi Ed,
you give me allot to think about,past and present i can only say my die hard approach over the years has probably cost me pbs.I really get where your coming from and if i had my time again i would still be as stubborn but directing it in the right way i hope.As for the trail race yes best just do what i can do and not worry just never seems right unless i am hurting some how...this running game.....I am looking forward to running the time trial now which will be next weekend so ill get back to you in due course thanks again really enjoying the formus and speak soon much obliged to you regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 20-12-2012

Hi Ed,
just wanted to write a few lines as you know my cycle is coming to an end sunday i am due to do a 4k time trial but Big Grin ive found an 8 mile race in the countryside which i cant resist really so in afect i will be ending the cycle with a race but not 10k think the extra few miles will be good training not sure what you think about all this. But to be honest after reading the threads you sent me would be good just to go do it and not worry about the time and enjoy running which is the thing ive lost sight of in the past.over to you ed...

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 20-12-2012

that should be fun

no reason it can't be a good hard burn

enjoy

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 23-12-2012

Hi Ed,
just wanted to get intouch and say things are going in the right direction,i was 2nd overall today. I was leading until i was sent the wrong way but nevermind i lost probley 90 seconds there all in. The race was well over 8 miles as i clocked 52 mins 30 so its really anyones guess how far it was,The good points i would like to say is the speed is coming back and feel better in myself just like you said so big thanks for that..i am going on to the cycle as of wednesday after the two recovery runs and look forward to racing in the new year to that end i would like to wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year best wishes jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 24-12-2012

good to read Jon .. it is all about enjoyment

do the training to achieve at the recommended pace and the results will come

natural ability is never lost it is only misspent

not sure whether you got to the see the article
[URL="http://www.time-to-run.com/theed/chat/balance-in-running"]
Balance in Running
[/URL]

have a wonderful Festive Season and if all goes well you should have a great 2013

All the best

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 24-12-2012

merry christmas ed ive learn in a short period of time and i thank you for it lifes more relaxed in my house hold and ive become a bit more relaxed although someonee tryed to race me when i was on a recovery run today i ran a fast mile as old habbits never die felt good tho as someone was pushing but not at 3 mins a k still whats dones done another easy run tommorrow at 6am......merry christmas and a hapy new year to you regards jon