Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 28-03-2017

will chat about a race report, and hopefully some pics of the event

how easy is it to a 'recon' with camera?

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 29-03-2017

No probs Ed,
Can get photos no problem regards jon.
Still recoving at the moment looking to run 75-90 mins tommorrow.
All for now jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 04-04-2017

how things going Jon

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 04-04-2017

Hi Ed,
Took a down week after the race just running easy for up to 1 hour recovery was a bit slow but knew better than to start hot footing it.
Sunday i wanted to wake my legs up so ran a 5k in 17.55 (tempo not to hard just hovered at 3.35 per k and felt fine.
Back on cycle this week doing the long run and rolling through the program.
All for now jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 05-04-2017

sounds good, nice to see you learning to take it a little easier to get results long-term Big Grin Wink

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 06-04-2017

Thanks Ed,
6x1k tommorrow and a focus on getting 6 not 5
Will try and keep them around 3.25 per k off 90 seconds recovery as i did that on my last but adding one more repeat this time.
All for now jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 07-04-2017

Hi Ed,
Did the 1k session this morning starting out 25 minutes easy warm up.
1)3.25 90 R
2)3.25 90 R
3)3.26 90 R
4)3.26 90 R
5)3.25 90 R
Sorry to say i was in trouble after 2 this morning and wanted to bail at 4 but got angry with myself and managed the 5th.
Think the long run makes me tired and i struggle to recover.
I have a 5k on the 22nd of april that should be a good test to see where i am at.
I have to travel to cambodia in the morning for my visa so looks like a rest day.
The heat is a problem also 27 degrees at 6 am and the humidity through the roof actually running now just in my shorts as the extra weight of a vest full of water is a handicap.
Still happy how it's going will get the six rep if it kills me but today was not the day.
All for now jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 09-04-2017

Hi Ed,
Just wanted to ask your thoughts about running doubles.
I feel as though i can fit them in and to be fair think ive got as far as i can on very low mileage. 35, 40 miles per week is nothing really and i think it might be time to add some easy volume after i run the 5k race and get a feel where i am at.
In the past i felt that 50 to 60 miles was ideal for my 10k and 70 to 80 miles was good for my half marathon.
My long run is only 90 mins at present which i think is enough for 10k but wanted to ask your thoughts on adding some doubles.
All for now jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 18-04-2017

ooops Jon, I never replied about the doubles, for now I wouldnt recommend the doubles, try to get the 2k and 1k session stable first, focus on those sessions plus the long run.

don't look to run the 2k or 1k sessions faster, look to achieve consistency

start of slower and do not run the sessions faster, but instead finish feeling strong and knowing you can do more

get the long run up to 18k

then thereafter with the sessions from Day 9 onwards you have more freedom to play with those, running tempo when it suits you

look at day 3 to day 8 as establishing a controlled 'base'

give this a go and we can roll from there

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 18-04-2017

No probs ED,

Busy lives and all that sometimes things get missed but not a problem.

Thanks for your post after typing it i second guessed it.

think that less is better and to back that ive felt tired again with just adding extra 5k per run over 3 days of running in the week. so knocked it off.!

Few things spring to mind here running in 90 degrees and the cost of waking up 4.30am every day is tough going as ive grown to learn gunning yourself looking for great times in this heat is dangerous and asking for trouble.

To that end yestoday made myself have a day off sleep till 7am and take stock of where i am at.

I know that i am loosing time in the heat and trying to run faster is only leading to extra tiredness and hampering my gains.

will run as you say now not going to put myself under pressure racing in heat.

Thanks again for your post and thoughts.
Regards jon.