Running Information Forums
10k sub 45 mins - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10k sub 45 mins (/Thread-10k-sub-45-mins)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

10k sub 45 mins - Leroy - 18-10-2009

Hi

I have been running on and off for a few years and am currently running 10k at around 48-50mins. I am 'ambitiously' attempting the sub 45 min programme. I have just attempted the 4 x 2k's in 8 min 50s. I did this although it was on a treadmill set to enable me to complete in the time (no quicker or slower). This however was a real struggle and although I completed I suspect this wouldn't have been the case on the road.

I am due the 1hr 30min run tomorrow which I will feel more comfortable with, but as I suspect the real effort and benefit with the programme is the interval training (something I've not previously done).

Is the use of a treadmill on an interval day to assist with timing recommended or should I get out on the road and attempt this?

Thanks
Lee

10k sub 45 mins - TheEd - 19-10-2009

Hi Leroy and welcome

sorry I missed this earlier .. in reply .. you can do the session on the treadmill as a number of users train as such during the winter months so it is quite the norm for a lot of the program users here

if you are able to do the session on a tartan or grass oval occasionally then all the better however the treadmill is used a fair amount by others

A slight elevation of the treadmill was recommended, so explore that as well

ever so slight, this will then provide more for what you would experience outside

You welcome to provide feedback of your training if you wish so

Regards

TheEd

10k sub 45 mins - Leroy - 22-10-2009

Hi Ed

Thanks for your comments. Today was 1k time trial day with times of;

4m 19s
4m 09s
4m 24s
4m 15s
4m 13s
4m 09s

The run was on a 2k circuit and was a little harder going out than back in. 5th 1k was the real big effort of the day (although they all hurt). Be interesting for me to see how the timed 5k goes on Monday, previous best is 23m 45s.

10k sub 45 mins - TheEd - 23-10-2009

for the future cycles try to get it that your paced run would fall on a Saturday and your long run on a Sunday

as you develop Sunday long runs become the norm

with our schedule .. Thursday would have been 2000's

the following Tuesday 1000's and so on

you will soon be doing the slower 1000 time of 4:19 in 4:10 and the faster 1000 time in 4 minutes

this will come naturally with more experience

running is much about learning how to run

form .. maintaining pace and relaxing at speed

fun times ahead with faster race times to follow

TheEd

10k sub 45 mins - Leroy - 26-10-2009

Hi Ed

Thanks for your comments. I set the schedule this way to have my rest (family) day on the Sunday. No problem is swapping this though.

Today was he 5k timed run. Took 1k splits for more info:

4m 17s
4m 29s
4m 30s
4m 41s
4m 20s

Total 22m 17s

Overall very pleased with the time, nearly a minute and half quicker than previous best. On the downside (as your last thread) I was not relaxed at any point and had no rhythm. Could not run 10k like this as I had nothing left after the 5k.

I'm not what the solution is to this other than to keep up the running.

10k sub 45 mins - TheEd - 26-10-2009

Well done done Leroy

seriously .. focus on the good result .. keep training .. keep learning to become more focused and the rest will follow

don't bang yourself up with too much expectation

let it be a natural process

onwards and forwards

TheEd

10k sub 45 mins - Leroy - 02-11-2009

Unfortunately due to illness I missed the last easy run and more importantly the 10k today. I intend to start the programme again Wednesday (from day 1) - would this be a recommended approach?

10k sub 45 mins - TheEd - 03-11-2009

Tuesday would be Day 1 .. when can always alter the days before the race

but do give yourself a chance to recover properly from being sick or else this will simply 'linger longer'

get to know your morning pulse so you know when you are truly back to normal

Please ask for clarity, if needed

TheEd

10k sub 45 mins - Leroy - 03-11-2009

Thanks Ed,

I've got an event on Sunday 6th December which I'd like to work up to. It does involve some cycling but mostly running. Can I work in some cycling sessions on the easier / recovery days or is this not recommended? If not I will continue solely with the running.

10k sub 45 mins - TheEd - 03-11-2009

That shouldn't be a problem Leroy

if you know how to spin correctly then you will be able to fit in cycling very easily, however being able to spin properly is of the highest order

you must be good at spinning where you only work aerobically and that your leg muscles do not become fatigued

so high revs with a low gear and excellent technique

then .. coming back to your previous training can you see where you 'may' have gone wrong in your build-up?

and in answering: Overall very pleased with the time, nearly a minute and half quicker than previous best. On the downside (as your last thread) I was not relaxed at any point and had no rhythm.

26th Oct .. so in hindsight if you are able to learn from this to hold back a little you will get your run in to the races a great deal better

running is very much about experience, so do try to build on this

not a criticism but more assistance in learning

Cheers

TheEd