Running Information Forums
Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week (/Thread-Sub-40-10K-on-3-4-days-week)

Pages: 1 2 3

Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week - kk_law - 24-06-2013

Hi TheEd!

I hope you've been well. It's been a while since I've been on the forum, here's a bit of a catch up:

The past winter was a tough winter for running, lots of colds and flus with the kids and made having a good training cycle almost impossible. Due to all the illnesses, I cut back to a 3 days/week training program with 2 days of cross-training: 1 day speed work on the track, 1 day tempo and 1 day long.

My speed work sessions varied between 1K - 2K repeats at 4:00/4:10-4:10/20 respectively, with a 400M recovery jog in between (usually total of 10K for the session including 2K warmup).

Tempo runs were a total of 12K with 2K warmup, 8-10K at 4:20/4:25 and .5 cool down.

Long runs were 18-24K at 4:40/4:50, usually on a flat course.

My cross-training days were just swimming for about 35 minutes, 3x500M and 500M kick drills.

For races, I ended last season with a 42:05 10K and then ran a half with a full-blown cold in 1:48. For 2013, I've run 3 half-marathons so far:

The first one was a flat course but I was battling another cold a few weeks before, felt pretty good throughout except for the uphills (1:41)

The second one was on a rolling hilly course and I died at 11K (1:48 final, 47:00 for the first 10K, severe cramping for the last half).

The most recent race I ran to just work out the proper pacing on another hilly course, felt pretty good throughout without cramps and finished the last 2K running 4:30's. (1:45)

That was the last half for this year, I might run another in November but I'd like to switch back to 10K racing for the summer. The next race I'd like to attempt is July 20 on a pretty flat course which leaves me a week to recover from this last run and 3 weeks to prep. I think I'm in about a 43:00 10K shape right now.

What are your thoughts on the cross-training instead of running on easy days? I was thinking of keeping to 3 days a week and switching a swimming day with a cycling day so that I'm still working out 5 days/week. I could add in a 4th day of running if you feel that would be better than cross-training.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,
KK

Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week - TheEd - 25-06-2013

Hi KK Law, I was only thinking about you a day or two ago, nice to have you posting ..

first off, you easy runs up to 24km do look a bit quick to be honest

hopefully you can begin to feel a lot more healthy shortly

when doing the cycles, the days 3 to 8 are the important days

so if you able to get the 2k * long run * 1k sessions in without worrying about cross training during that period you should be able to get the running back up to standard

then the next 2 weeks you have plenty of opportunity to add the cross training

once the cycles show decent progression and adaptation you would be able to add cross training in-between the quality sessions (Day3 to 8)

this would be the best approach

over to you

TheEd
ps.. I am sure you acknowledge and know that running a race with a cold is not the most clever thing to do Wink

Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week - kk_law - 25-06-2013

Thanks TheEd,

re: Long Run Pace - yes, probably too quick. I was following the Run Less, Run Faster program through the winter and this was the pace they set for long runs for a 3 day a week schedule, 14 week half-marathon program based on most recent 10K race time. I imagine a 3 week cycle is based on different training approach and to be honest, I'm looking forward to varying the workouts more vs always running +/- 30 sec/km paces.

For the long runs, is it ok to run them on a hilly course or will that be too much? I definitely feel the hills are my weakness as I always get cramps in my hamstrings and quads when I'm on a hilly course.

I'll plan to recover the legs and blisters on my feet this week and start in on the program next week, will report back with data from my old friend/enemy, the 2K session Smile

Nice to be back,
KK

PS: and yes, my brain knows I shouldn't race with a cold but when it comes to running it's tough to walk away from the start line regardless of how you feel Smile Definitely paid the price on that one for the month after...

Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week - TheEd - 26-06-2013

regarding the hillwork, it is normally the downhill running that causes the problems on a hilly course and not so much the uphills

learning to approach and run the uphills and downhills can assist in this area

the 2k session develops speed endurance with this area developed and a more sound approach to uphill and downhill running should be most helpful

if you stay the course of development via the programs, hillwork is introduced at a later stage

hope this helps

TheEd

:mrburns:

Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week - kk_law - 05-07-2013

Hi TheEd,

Checking in for the past week:

I focused on recovering from the half on the 23rd. Didn't run until the following Friday, did an easy 6K at 5:30/km, avg HR 137.

Sunday was the start of a heat spell here, was killer hot and I made of the mistake of thinking I should run at noon. Bad idea. 8.5K, died at about half and shuffled home. 5:50/km, avg hr 148.

Tuesday was better, still hot but ran later in the evening so not too bad: 11K at 5:30/km, avg HR 143 or so,(HRM was acting weird).

The easy pace was a nice change, gave me a chance to stretch the legs out and not be sore the next day.

Today was the 5x2K, it's been a while since I've run the workout. I was aiming for 4:20's, it was hot out again:

1 8:26, avHR 161 (starting 108 after warmup, max 172)
2 8:35, avHR 167, (recovery 134, max 181)
3 8:38, avHR 168, (recovery 129, max 174)
4 9:05, avHR 167, (recovery 134, max 175)
5 9:05, avHR 167 (recovery, 137, max 173)

I spent that past 2 days on my feet on a location shoot, running around for 10/11 hours. I didn't get a chance to eat lunch either day but I tried to drink as much water as possible. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling too fresh for this workout but wanted to get it done anyways.

The first set I felt great, very controlled effort even though quads were a bit tight. The 2nd the quad tightness went away but the left calf/hamstring started to twinge. Legs were cramping in the middle of the 3rd repeat and the 4th and 5th were a battle to keep the cramps at bay.

Overall, I felt pretty good cardio wise. It was the muscle endurance that I need to work on. I forgot what a test the 5x2k is...

I'm going to try to run 22K on Saturday, hopefully in the morning before it gets too hot. Tuesday I'm travelling to another full day shoot and I'm not sure I'll have to time to do the 1K session. Should I do that on Monday?

Over to you Smile

Cheers,
KK

PS: I'm pretty sure my max HR are off, it's been spiking erradically lately (201 during warmup!). I don't remember my max going over 172 last season during any races.

Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week - TheEd - 06-07-2013

KK .. try to plan your training better, especially when you have a photoshoot

consider doing your 6 x 1k session at 4.20 per k only

get the feel good factor back into your running

hopefully things smooth over again

TheEd

Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week - kk_law - 06-07-2013

Yes, in retrospect maybe should have shifted the 5x2k to yesterday, long run tomorrow and 6x1 on Wednesday. Lots to juggle in life right now, some things I don't have much control over such as client's timelines but nutritionally I could and will do much better so that I am fuelled properly for workouts at least.

I arranged my flight back on Tuesday early enough that I should be able to fit in the 6x1 late in the evening.

Thanks,
KK

Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week - TheEd - 06-07-2013

great KK .. you must remember that keeping positive is the name of the game here .. when under work stress, simply look to do the quality sessions but give more rest between the sessions than normal

5 x 2k

Rest

longish run (not necessary as such if working on short term results)

Rest

6 x 1k

there we have it

TheEd

Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week - kk_law - 08-07-2013

Thanks TheEd. I'm never really bothered by bad workouts or races anymore -there's always something to learn and something else to work towards. In the end, it's just running and luckily I don't have to make a living doing it Smile

Did my long run yesterday on a rolling hill course, 22K in 2:00 almost exactly, av HR around 145. Nice day for a run, felt pretty good. Legs were getting tired near the end but no cramps fortunately. Things starting to cool off a bit here, getting back to more milder temps.

No running today, a bit of biking around while towing the kids in a bike trailer and lots of stretching. Will try to get out tomorrow for an easy run if time and heat permits.

KK

Sub-40 10K on 3-4 days/week - kk_law - 10-07-2013

Hi TheEd,

Did easy 45 yesterday while the kids paced me on their bikes. Nice to have little companions on my runs now, fun times Smile

6x1K today with a 1.5K warmup. HRM on the fritz so no data unfortunately but time data as follows (Rest 60)

1: 4:03
2: 4:01
3: 4:01
4: 3:59
5: 4:02
6: 3:59

Felt good throughout, I was waiting for the cramps to hit me before the end but they never came and the pace felt good. Hard effort near the end but not all out, probably could have done 1 or 2 more repeats.

Anyway, next quality session is 5K tempo Saturday, yes? I am planning on doing an easy hour on Thursday if I remember the program correctly.

Cheers,
KK