Running Information Forums
Sub 20 5k - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 5km Training (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-5km-Training)
+--- Thread: Sub 20 5k (/Thread-Sub-20-5k)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 19-09-2014

the 2nd article in the MrsDuck series

Racing her first 10k races

http://www.time-to-run.com/theed/mrsduck/racing-her-first-10k-races

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 22-09-2014

Hi TheEd,

I wanted to check in with you regarding my half marathon race yesterday. I ended up with 141:54. Not my best time but considering the heat and humidity (It was in Maui, Hawaii) and that I have just started ramping up my training for longer races (the half marathon was my second longest run this year) I was ok with it.
On Wednesday prior to the race I did the 3 x 5 min Fartlek with 1 min rest. I did it by feel at a 10k effort. The first two were at 4:17 per km and the last one was 4:14 per km.
Since Friday was a travel day I took that as a day off and did the 30 min with 6 x 1 min on/off on Saturday the day before the race at ~4:39 per km. I just floated through the pace as you have suggested before.
My plan now is to start with with another cycle of the program and will aim for the 2k session on Thursday. My thought is to start with 3 or 4 at first and work up to 5.
Any thoughts/suggestions?
Becky

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 22-09-2014

Hi Becky, good to have got that out the way .. heat can be quite a performance killer

2k session can be at x 4

from Day 3 to Day 8 .. you can use cycling for recovery in-between the 3 important run days

2k * Long Run * 1k

ask questions if need be

TheEd

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 27-10-2014

Hi TheEd,
I have strayed from the training format the last month or so but am 6 weeks out from my marathon. It is December 7 so I figure I can complete 2 3 week cycles before then. My training up to date has included a day of 3 miles of interval training @ 10k pace, a day of of tempo running 4-6 miles @ marathon pace and one day with a long run of 2:15 to 2:30. Easy run days are usually at an hour. I plan on following the format of the 10k training plan for the duration of my marathon training but assume some of the workouts need to be modified to be geared for marathon training. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.
Becky

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 28-10-2014

the last 6 weeks of the marathon schedule differs from the 10k schedule

you keep the 5 x 2k .. however you don't increase the speed

instead of the 1k session you do a rolling hills session

the long run should be from 30k to 36k

the intention would be to get used to marathon tempo running as well

see: http://www.time-to-run.com/theed/ab/rolling-eggs-into-basket

sessions:
Oct 1st: 75 minute rolling hills
Oct 3rd: 5 x 2k
Oct 5th 25km

see:
After the 10k, we threw in some overload with the athlete rolling out a 2hr run, a 33k or 3hr run, and then 75 minutes of rolling hills.

RG .. ask questions so you can understand the format better

regards

TheEd

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 28-10-2014

Hi TheEd,

I think I understand some of the format. So I am 6 weeks out so for this week I will plan on:
Wed 75 min rolling hills
Fri 5 x 2000 workout
Sunday up to 3 hour run

Then for next week:
75 min rolling hills
10k tempo
2 hour long run

I am unclear on what key workouts should be on the 3rd week. That week calls for 400s or 5 min Fartlek and then 6 x 1 min pickups. I am assuming there would be a different format there as well?
Thanks Becky

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 30-10-2014

the last 6 weeks the intent is marathon .. though we keep the 10k pace in via the 2k session

though your last 3 weeks in totally marathon specific

longest run 3 weeks before and taper

would you like me to provide advice towards this end, or are you able to throw things together for the run down?

cheers

TheEd

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 31-10-2014

Hi TheEd,

I think I understand some of the structure but would love some advice if you don't mind? For this week I did the 75 min rolling hills workout Wednesday. Today (Friday) I plan on 5 x 2000 then Sunday I am planning on 2 1/2 hr- 3 hr run. From there I am not quite sure on how to proceed except for another 75 min rolling hill run on Tuesday?

Thanks,

Becky

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 31-10-2014

Hi Becky .. please provide feedback from the training you are doing

the secret and art to coaching is actually having a plan but always analysing the athlete's response to the workload and how they recover before approaching the next stage

so how are you feeling?

you have done 3 quality sessions

you need to recover from these sessions before going into the next set of quality sessions

over to you

TheEd
ps.. provide as much data as possible .. bpm . pace etc

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 02-11-2014

Hi TheEd,

As of today my marathon is 5 weeks away. (Dec 7)
I strayed from the format a little bit. My quality sessions this week were:

Wednesday: 75 min rolling hill. Possibly more hill than rolling. Covered 13.27k@5:39 pace.

Friday: 6 x 1000 with 2 min rest 4:19, 4:21, 4:14, 4:21, 4:21, 4:16. Covered 17.3 k total with warmup and cooldown

Today (Sunday) 24.2 k @5:30 pace on a rolling hill route

My long runs are usually done on Sunday due to my schedule. The previous few weeks I have completed two 29k runs@5:35 and 5:17 pace and a 24.49k run with the last 9.29k@4:46 pace. I have done other quality sessions too and can provide info on those if you need it.
I had been feeling a bit tired but feel that could be due to post workout nutrition. The last few workouts I have focused on taking in more carbs post workout and am feeling much better and stronger in my workouts. Let me know if you need any more info. I would also be happy to pay you something for your time? Let me know.

Thanks,

Becky