Running Information Forums
Sub 20 5k - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 5km Training (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-5km-Training)
+--- Thread: Sub 20 5k (/Thread-Sub-20-5k)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 04-11-2014

the 1k session with 2 minute rest will not give the same value as 5 x 2k R90 at 10k pace

there is a 10k pace according to the marathon time you would like to run

so for a 3.30 marathon you should look to do the 2k session at around 4.20 per k = 8.40 for the 2k

focus on recovery between the sessions

keep providing feedback

TheEd

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 05-11-2014

Hi TheEd,

I will do the 5 x 2k session this week along with the 75 min rolling hill session as another key workout. How long of a long run would you recommend this weekend with the marathon being 4 weeks out? I am thinking 2 1/2 hrs.

Becky

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 05-11-2014

2 1/2 hr run should be good

Tuesday would be a rolling hills session .. yes?

TheEd

:mrburns:

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 05-11-2014

Hi TheEd,

Oh, I see. So my plan will be:
Tomorrow (Thursday) 5 x 2k
Sunday: 2 1/2 hr run
Tuesday: 75 min rolling hill run

Then the following Sunday the 16th I will do up to 3 hr run since the marathon will be 3 weeks out then.

Should I do anything between next weeks rolling hill session and the long run?

Becky

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 05-11-2014

move rolling hills to Wednesday to allow for further recovery after Sunday run

look to do 20 - 30 minute active recovery run between sessions

Friday can be an 8 to 10k @ marathon pace .. though you must be comfortable and not seek a pace which is not there if you are tired

please ask further questions if needed

TheEd

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 06-11-2014

Hi TheEd,

That sounds good. Just a quick question:
Some friends of mine training for the same marathon I am training for are planning on running 20 miles with the last 10 miles at marathon pace for the long run on the 16th (3 weeks out from the marathon) Is this something you would recommend doing?
I imagine if this is something you recommend I would forego the marathon pace run on Friday and just roll it into the long run on the 16th. I appreciate your thoughts and insights.

Thanks,

Becky

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 06-11-2014

3 weeks .. yes, that would be on the menu . the last 10k @ marathon pace however doing the last 16km @ pace should not be a problem

the 8 to 10k run @ marathon pace on the Friday should be a standard fodder run

if you tired then 20 to 30 minutes easy for active recovery can be placed there

on rolling hills, you only work the uphill and relax on the downhill .. the effort on the uphill is at 'maybe' half marathon race pace

you need to compare your heart rate to pace to monitor things

on we go

TheEd

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 07-11-2014

Hi TheEd,

Just thought i would give you an update. I ended up doing just 4 x 2k today. My legs were feeling tired and I had a hard time with pacing. I was planning on doing the reps at the track but discovered they hadn't finished resurfacing it so I had to move my workout to the bike path but then had to wind through some neighborhoods for some of the reps because part of the bike path was closed off. Then got to the bike path and some of the sections were slightly hilly.
Here are my paces: 4:34, 4:39, 4:30, 4:44.
I ran the reps at a comfortably hard pace. My legs didn't want to go any faster. I made the mistake of running two 70 min runs two days in a row when I should have cut back yesterday. If I do this workout again I plan on going. to another area of the bike path where it is flatter.Smile
I will cut back tomorrow and Saturday to rest up for the long run on Sunday. Then do the rolling hill workout Wednesday then the following Sunday 32k with last 16k at marathon pace.

Becky

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 08-11-2014

we will get it right eventually Smile

one day on one day .. you need to recover to be able to achieve the desired results

on we go

TheEd

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 10-11-2014

Hi TheEd,

Just thought I would give a brief update. Yesterday I ran 30k over a rolling hill route in 2:41.
I had a quick question regarding next weeks workouts. I am set for rolling hills on Wednesday but am wondering about the weekend. I had mentioned doing 32k with the last 16k at marathon pace for the next Sunday long run. I am wondering if it might more beneficial to keep the marathon pace workout and long run separate? You had mentioned doing 6k-8k at marathon pace on Friday and 3 hour run on Sunday. Which would be more beneficial at this point? Next Sunday the marathon is 3 weeks out.

Thanks,

Becky