Running Information Forums
Sub 20 5k - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 5km Training (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-5km-Training)
+--- Thread: Sub 20 5k (/Thread-Sub-20-5k)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 06-09-2014

nice going Becky and great to have you back

hoping to have MrsDuck going towards Duathlons next year

consider doing a 1 x 2k @ 10k pace then 3 x 1k @ 5k pace

increase the rest to 2 minutes and 90 seconds accordingly and stick to the pace instead of going faster

work on form so you can gain confidence from feeling good

what time you looking at for the half?

TheEd

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 07-09-2014

Thanks TheEd!
I am not sure what time to go for as I just shifted my focus in the last few weeks to half marathon training. Most of my training has been geared toward shorter races and duathlons. I have been racing several duathlons the last 6 weeks which consist of a 5k run-20k bike-5k run. I don't feel ready to run a great half marathon right now so I was going to use this one as a mark to see where I am at and then do a couple of more half marathons this fall. I then have a marathon on December 7. Do you have a suggestion on a time?
Also is there a way to balance the training plan with cycling as cross training?
Thanks again for your time and help.

Becky

Ps. I enjoyed reading about mrs. Duck and look forward to reading more.Smile

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 10-09-2014

Hi runninggirl, I am trying to get more towards the cross training aspects related to triathlon training and the benefits for runners, http://www.time-to-tri.com is the sister site of the run structure

have very definite theories on training

so yes, have thoughts and tips on cross training, though more aimed at persons who are looking to do triathlons as well

hope this helps a little and can answer more in detail if you like

or may need to write an article about this

TheEd

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 10-09-2014

Hi TheEd,
I was interested in what days of the program you would recommend cycling? I have been contemplating keeping cycling in 1-2 times per week for cross training. Smile I would be interested in reading an article.Smile
Training wise this is what I have been up to:
Sunday: 20k with 8.5 k at 4:41 pace
Monday: 30 min easy
Tues: 70 min easy- only meant to go 60 min easy but was running with a friend and misjudged the distance
Today (wed) I did the workout you recommended. 6k warmup then 2k at 8:25, 2 min rest then 3 x 1k at 4:08, 4:18, 4:32 with 1 min rest. As you can see my pace dropped with each rep. I started way to fast with the 2k rep but got carried away.
My plan for the rest of the week is:
Tomorrow (thurs) 30 min easy
Friday: 60 min easy
Sat: rest
Sun: 16-20k with 5k at half marathon pace.
Thoughts or suggestion?
Thanks for your time.
Becky

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 10-09-2014

Hi TheEd,
I just reread the workout instructions. For some reason I thought I was supposed to take 60 sec between the 1k reps and it was supposed to be 90 sec. I think the extra 30 sec would have helped with hitting the paces. Whoops.Smile

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 11-09-2014

as you develop and get quicker the 1k session drops to 60 seconds

going through your training arrangement

if you are able to achieve Day 3 to Day 8 of the program

Day 3 on a Thursday and Day 8 on a Tuesday

for the first few cycles focus on those quality days plus the long run up to 2hrs over the weekend .. as you develop you can use cycling for aerobic recovery

however, in order to get the benefit of the cycling it has to be aerobic to the extent where you do not over-activate your quadriceps or else it can a negative impact on the quality sessions

in week 2 after the 1k session, then cycling should not have the same impact on the quality

bounce a few questions off me so we can achieve the understanding needed

do you know how to 'spin' correctly, are you fitted correctly on your bicycle etc

over to you

TheEd

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 12-09-2014

Hi TheEd,

Most of the time I am only able to do my long runs on Sundays. I assume then I would do day 3 (Thursday) 2k workout, long run Sunday then day 8 (Tuesday) 1k workout?
I think I understand what you mean about cycling. In the past I have overdone it and stressed out my quads so I wasn't my freshest for running intervals. I am assuming cycling should be kept to an easy effort on day 3 through 8 and then after day 8 some quality cycling sessions can be introduced?
I need to be fitted to my bike professionally. I am planning on doing that.
As far as spinning correctly is it 75-90 rpm?
As far as training goes my half marathon is a week from Sunday on the 21st. This is not a key race for me. I hope to do a couple of more targeted half's in Oct/Nov then I have a marathon planned on December 7.
How should I structure training between now and the half marathon race on the 21st?
Thanks for your help.
Becky

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 15-09-2014

apologies for the slow reply .. there is not much you able to do before this coming weekend's 21k

however you can put your last quality run in on Tuesday

thereafter it is a run down to the event and to relax up to give yourself the biggest chance

TheEd

Sub 20 5k - runninggirl - 15-09-2014

Hi TheEd,

Yesterday I ran with a group for my long run so ended up with 16 miles (26 km) with 6 miles (10 k) at 7:38 pace or 4:44 per km. I think I am more focused on marathon training right now and am going to treat this coming weekends half marathon as more of a training run. For my quality session this week should I do the 400m session or the 3 x 5 min or something different?

Thanks,
Becky

Sub 20 5k - TheEd - 15-09-2014

3 x 5 minutes, as this will serve you better

TheEd
ps.. you have the distance, now to get certain elements such as speed to a suitable area