Running Information Forums
Final weeks - days of training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Final weeks - days of training (/Thread-Final-weeks-days-of-training)

Final weeks - days of training - Drambuske - 16-11-2009

Hi Ed,
Great site! I used it approx 3 years ago to run a 19:10 5k on 1-1-07! Was injured for awhile but recently started up again and came to this site for some advice. Hope you can help. I ran a 5 mile tempo last monday in 35:41 increasing my pace per mile with each mile final mile in 6:57 rested 2 days and on thursday the 11-12-09 I ran the 5 x 2000 with 90 secs rest at the local 400m track in 8:38, 8:15, 8:06, 8:03, and 7:57 felt great! Tough workout though and ran 30-40 mins for 2 days then did the 90 min run on sunday avg HR 135 approx. 10.7 miles. I am planning either a 5k or 8k on Thanksgiving morning and I am wondering how the rest of the days should be planned any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Greg

Final weeks - days of training - TheEd - 17-11-2009

Hi Greg, welcome to the forums and thanks

take your race date and work back the training sessions

this should be the best approach

talking injuries .. what injury did you suffer from, please?

this data will help for future training

Cheers

TheEd

Final weeks - days of training - Drambuske - 17-11-2009

TheEd,
I guess my question was to find out if I should do exactly what you have suggested or should I try to squeeze in the 1000's. The race is on thursday the 26th and I performed the 2000's on thursday the 12th and today would be the 1000 day but I will follow your advice and run the 1 hr easy run today and follow the schedule from that point. Thank you again. My injury was a torn gastrocnemius from a skiing incident 1 year ago. Totally healed at this point. I have several more questions after this race and can't wait to see what you suggest as I am doing a winter road race series and spring marathon.

Thank you again
Greg

OK excellent .. let's work through the 1000's and then instead of going in to doing the paced run over the weekend do the weekend of Week1 .. the long run and then we can see if you can slot in another 1000m session next week

however .. we should play it by ear to see how you cope with everything

Hope that helps

TheEd

TheEd,
Ok? I am a little confused but I will do the 1000's today but you also want me to do another set of 1000's next week just prior to the race on thursday i.e. (thanksgiving)? I will if you want me too!
Thank you,
Greg

apologies Greg .. got my days mixed up for some reason I took it as 2 weeks to the event

1000's today is fine and then we can change things around for the final run down

sorry for confusion

Cheers

TheEd

TheEd,
Not bad not great 3:45, 3:51, 3:59, 3:58, 3:57, 3:57 60 sec rest 400m track. Felt tired and dead legged but overall pleased with workout!
Greg

Final weeks - days of training - Drambuske - 18-11-2009

TheEd,
I did a half hour very easy run this am and was wondering where I should pick up the schedule for the race next Thursday. Thanks again
Greg

Final weeks - days of training - TheEd - 18-11-2009

if Thursday being race day .. then Wednesday being Rest day

Tuesday the 6 x 1 min fast with 1 min slow .. fartlek session

Monday easy day of 40min running

Sunday .. 3 x 1000m Rest 2 to 3 minutes .. 1k in 3.50 to 3.55

Saturday easy day of 40min running

Friday .. 1hr easy distance

Thursday .. 4 to 5k @ 4.20 to 4.30 per k .. paced run

Hope that helps?

TheEd