Running Information Forums
How do I break 37 and 80? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: How do I break 37 and 80? (/Thread-How-do-I-break-37-and-80)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

How do I break 37 and 80? - Swerunner - 02-02-2016

Hi TheEd!

Of course! The plan is to do 4-7 cycles on the 10k program to increase my speed, then the plan is to move into your marathon set-up to see where it will take me. Sub 2:45 at 45 sounds like a plan Big Grin

How do I break 37 and 80? - Swerunner - 07-04-2016

Hi TheEd!
I will soon leave for Boston. I was doing some really good training and on track for 2.48, then the kids brought home some really bad infections which kind of knocked me out for 5wks. Unfortunate as those were very important weeks. So I lost a lot of training. Went to Melbourne to work for 16 days and basically tried suicide training :-) did 290 km in 16 days. All good though, I survived. Did a half on my own (1:25:59) to kind of check my marathon speed. Felt good. So, my aim is sub 3 in Boston, but it depends on weather parameters and all that.

Psyched to do it though, will be good! Chat soon.

How do I break 37 and 80? - TheEd - 11-04-2016

The first section of Boston (1st 21km) is quick, if you able to run relaxed and go through 21k in 85 minutes, you should be able to go onto a sub 3hr marathon.

hopefully you have the wind at your back as the last 16km of that course can be quite painful

good luck and enjoy

TheEd

How do I break 37 and 80? - TheEd - 21-04-2016

how did Boston go?

TheEd

How do I break 37 and 80? - Swerunner - 26-04-2016

Well, the race didn't go well at all. It was really hot and the sun took its toll on the energy levels. I passed halfway in 1.27, but I knew I was smoked. So from there on I just decided to enjoy and experience the race and forget about the watch. It was amazing and I am so glad I ran it. It beats all races I ever ran. Ended up crossing the line in 3.21. Epic slow. The only good thing is that I'm not sore at all in my legs and should be fit for training. Rested a week and today I did the first jog. 10k relaxed. All good.

Will start the first cycle on the 3rd of may and at the end of that cycle is a halfmarathon. It's not prioritised, so I'm not stressing. Should I start the 2k@7'40" and 1k@3'40 ?

Did 7k threshold week before marathon in 3'50/k and 8x1000 60s rest @ 3'38/k

What you think? My big aim is to be ready for 36:00 and 1:19 in autumn.

Cheers,

Goran

How do I break 37 and 80? - Swerunner - 12-05-2016

Hi TheEd!
So, I started the first cycle on the 3rd May, leading up to a half marathon at the end of the cycle. Below are my training so far. It's all going well so far, apart from some minor issues when doing the 5x2k session.

Tuesday (75-90min easy)
Did 15k in 68’ @ 4’33/k.
Kept it a bit short as I had done a similar session a couple of days prior to starting the cycle. Felt relaxed.

Wednesday (30min easy)
Did 6.5k in 31’ @4’42/k. Easy.

Thursday (5x2k@7’40 w 1’ rest)
Did 4x2k --> 7’37-7’34-7’34-7’40. Total of 16k.
The reason I didn’t do 5 reps was due to pollen. All felt okay and the speed was spot on. Hard, but doable. However, started to feel the pollen after second rep, the 3rd one was harder and the 4th I did just because I was annoyed. The speed was right, just too hard to do the last rep when my airways started becoming like straws. Annoying though!

Friday (Rest)
Yeah, this one was fairly easy!

Saturday (2hrs)
Did 27k in 2hrs 5min @ 4’37/k.
Really good legs and feeling. I just floated the whole way. No down periods at all. I never drink or eat when I run up to 30k. Never have and it never bothers me.

Sunday (30min easy)
Did 6.5k in 31’ @4’44/k.
Didn’t want to run, I normally rest after a long run. Once I got out it was no problem to do some jogging, I just had to battle laziness...

Monday (10k easy, relaxed)
Did 10k in 43’ @ 4’20/k
Didn’t understand if you meant this as a distance workout or jogging. Had heavy legs from the start, but gradually worked my pace up and floated nicely on lousy legs.

Tuesday (6x1000m w 1’ rest)
Did 6x1000m w 1’ rest @ 3’38/k
For this one I had to go to the treadmill in order to avoid pollen, which bothers me in higher speeds. Felt okayish before start, but wasn’t convinced that running is something I want to do as I felt the last hard stretch of training was starting to take its toll. Felt a bit sorry for myself. But I know these 7days are the most important. Once I got on the treadmill, I cruised them and it felt really good. Sure, had to work for it, but it was a nice feeling.

Wednesday (40min easy)
Life was in the way and I ended up with no running.

So, that’s it so far. Today is 1hrs easy and then it’s rest day. I will do 40’ easy as I rested yesterday instead. Then it’s 5k at 10k pace/2. What should I aim for?

Talk to you later. Cheers.

How do I break 37 and 80? - TheEd - 12-05-2016

looks good, easy runs can be days off but active rest is normally very good

after Day 8 it is very much a case of recovering and starting to feel good again, and 3 days before race the zip should return

hope this is the case

onwards

TheEd

How do I break 37 and 80? - Swerunner - 19-05-2016

Hi Gavin,

Noticed some of the comments have been lost. So quick recap.

Did the 5k paced run in 18:45 on a treadmill 1% incline due to pollen.

Did the 10x400m: 1:21 (4), 1:19 (3), 1:20 (3) with 60" rest.

Saturday is halfmarathon. Feel fat and lazy, have no idea what I end up with.

Anyway, Next cycle commences 24th may. I have a 5k race on day 14 of the schedule that I want to run. There's a 5k paced run two days prior (day 12). that's not optimal. How should I change accordingly and how do I proceed after the race?

Best regards,

Goran

How do I break 37 and 80? - Swerunner - 23-05-2016

So, saturdays half marathon didn't go well. I ended up doing 1:24:51, which quite slow. Normally I'm around 1:22 on this race. But the training has been quite bad last months due to pollen and colds.

Passed 10k in 38:56, which was on track. Kept somewhat good pace to 15k, then I faded bad. The last 5k are quite tough, so one always loose time there, and if you're smoked, you loose a lot.

Moving on.

How do I break 37 and 80? - TheEd - 20-06-2016

Hi there, drop me an email, as things have settled now, so should be able to talk in further detail

TheEd