Running Information Forums
Training to run a half marathon - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Training to run a half marathon (/Thread-Training-to-run-a-half-marathon)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Training to run a half marathon - QuentinG - 01-03-2014

Hi my name is Quentin Grey and i would love to races a half marathon in August 2014 in Newcastle Australia My current age is 53 and weight a staggering 90kg.20 years ago i trained and raced under Gavin Doyle called TRAC my age then was 33 and my racing weight was 72kg.I have a pb on the following races
3KM....9MIN
5KM..15MIN
8KM....25MIN
10KM...SUB 32
15KM...49.52
21KM....71.45MIN
30KM....1.46
42KM...3.10
It has been a while and have not run or raced properly since.Would love to take up the challenge again and try and run well for my age group.Even thinking about The Masters games .Thanks a lot Quentin
Quentin Grey

Training to run a half marathon - TheEd - 01-03-2014

Thanks Quentin .. I know you have just run your 4k time-trial

so if you can now put down your current stats for weight

and what you have been doing in the last 4 weeks exercise wise

Quentin, didn't you run a faster marathon, was sure you ran one 42k under our training

regards

TheEd

Training to run a half marathon - QuentinG - 02-03-2014

QuentinG Wrote:Hi my name is Quentin Grey and i would love to races a half marathon in August 2014 in Newcastle Australia My current age is 53 and weight a staggering 90kg.20 years ago i trained and raced under Gavin Doyle called TRAC my age then was 33 and my racing weight was 72kg.I have a pb on the following races
3KM....9MIN
5KM..15MIN
8KM....25MIN
10KM...SUB 32
15KM...49.52
21KM....71.45MIN
30KM....1.46
42KM...3.10
It has been a while and have not run or raced properly since.Would love to take up the challenge again and try and run well for my age group.Even thinking about The Masters games .Thanks a lot Quentin
Quentin Grey

Hi Gavin yep you are correct we ran the Cape Town Marathon in a time of 2h45 min i was thinking of the Bay to Bay
The past 4weeks have not been doing much running only every 3rd day and then its a slow 5 to 6km would like to do it in small steps I have started to do simple exercise like press ups and light weights as i say looking forward to stepping up and run well again sure do miss those days Thanks

Training to run a half marathon - TheEd - 02-03-2014

Let's roll it out slowly .. what was your 4k time-trial and weight at time of run, please?

Thanks TheEd

Training to run a half marathon - QuentinG - 04-03-2014

TheEd Wrote:Let's roll it out slowly .. what was your 4k time-trial and weight at time of run, please?

Thanks TheEd

Hi GAVIN
Time for 4km a 19min 30 sec weight 90kg

Training to run a half marathon - TheEd - 04-03-2014

first session Thursday

be patient and we roll it out with caution, though we introduce quality we do things with ease, allowing your natural ability to come through while moving through the gears slowly

there will be walking involved in this program, so be prepared, the idea is to get you used to bearing weight

Thursday: 3 x 2k @ 5 minutes per k with 2 minutes easy in-between

you should find this an easy session, however this is the intention

Saturday will be 1 hour of exercise, made up of walking then light jogging for 20 minutes and then walking

20 min walk - 20 jog - 20 min walk

best thing is to do the Saturday session with someone who is less fit that you, so that you focus on them and not yourself

nothing more

Tueday 5 x 1k .. will discuss pace soon

you should run 1 minute faster for the 4k time-trial in 6 weeks time, even with this easy training

onwards

TheEd
ps.. will provide your further sessions as you progress, be patient and provide feedback

Training to run a half marathon - QuentinG - 06-03-2014

Thank you the Ed will start on Thursday and let you know times and effort.

Training to run a half marathon - QuentinG - 08-03-2014

The Ed
Warm up of 1.5km easy jog some strides and stretch. Ran 3x2km in a time of (1)..9.50 (2)....9.55 (3)...9.50 Felt ok just breathing a bit heavy.

On Saturday walked and ran 20min as instructed felt great
Ready for next training
Thanks Q

Training to run a half marathon - TheEd - 13-03-2014

Nice QG .. have you done the 1k session?

you would have run those 10 seconds faster

the session would be Tuesday

Thursday is gone now

Friday Rest

please provide feedback so I can see where you are with your training

TheEd

Training to run a half marathon - QuentinG - 14-03-2014

To The Ed
Tuesday did 5 x 1km average time for all 5 where 4min 43 sec felt ok just breathing a bit heavy Weight slowly coming down 89kg.. feeling better than the 2km session.Ran easy 7km on Thursday around 5min 30 per km weather was hot so took it easy.Legs only stiff in morning but ready to go for next session
Thanks Q