Running Information Forums
Following the sub-40 10K program - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Following the sub-40 10K program (/Thread-Following-the-sub-40-10K-program)

Pages: 1 2 3

Following the sub-40 10K program - TheEd - 20-01-2010

Hi Paul .. not a bad session ..

you can get away with changing the sessions round the first time you do the cycle but not thereafter, due to the balanced nature of the program

and I shall not comment on the headcold and or headache, as I think you experienced enough to know better Wink

the session itself augers well for you sub 41 minute 10km run however anything close to that pace should be a result

enjoy the travels and try to take care of yourself

TheEd

Following the sub-40 10K program - pabstars - 27-01-2010

Hi TheEd,

In the next cycle, I'll try to avoid changing too much around with the days but it is difficult with a fulltime job and a family. From my side there is no reason to tell about the non-high quality work-outs, so I'll proceed to 6*1K. Last night we were 3 guys out to run them and they went very well. It is more motivating when the intervals are run with other people. My times were:

3.42 R60
3.40 R60
3.49 R60
3.49 R60
3.44 R60

Today, a snow storm is on its way to Denmark, so it may be necessary to try to run the 5K on a treadmill.

I have registered for a 10K run on 7th February, so this will be very interesting!

Cheers,
Paul

Following the sub-40 10K program - TheEd - 27-01-2010

Hi Paul .. what do you think your perceived effort for the session was

they session looks as though you coped quite well

how did you find your recovery, was the 1 minute break a killer?

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. is the 10k in CPH?

Following the sub-40 10K program - pabstars - 27-01-2010

Hi TheEd,

It was really tough to run the intervals but seeing my pals suffer too made it easier and faster :whistle:

Only having one minute breaks was fine for me even though I was exhausted; but again seeing the others finding it even tougher to start so quickly was a big help.

If I had run the intervals on my own, they would probably have been run in about 3.55 but it is impossible to have a civilised pace when the two others are along on the road.

Yes, the race is in Copenhagen. For the event, there are 4-minute pacers where I may try to follow them and then just see how everything goes. I'll just wait and see!

By the way, last week was the first time in 3 months that my mileage was above 50K.

Cheers,
Paul

Following the sub-40 10K program - pabstars - 05-02-2010

Hi TheEd,

Since my successful 6*1 killahs 10 days ago, the weather has just been terrible with no chance of any quality sessions. Luckily it looks as if the snow will take a break, so that it soon is possible to run intervals on some streets; the track won't be available for quite some time as we're really covered in snow which is very unusual in Denmark for such a long time-span. This has meant that I haven't even been close to being able to follow the plan. Yesterday was my first quality run in 9 days. I tried a treadmill running 4K. As I'm not familiar with these motor monsters, I ran the first km very slowly (4.11) as my pace was first at 0. I ended the session in 15.45 running the other km at relatively even paces. Even though the last week has been really bad with very few km, I'm looking forward to the 10 K run on Sunday where I really hope that the course isn't filled with snow.

I really hope and expect that the weather will allow me to follow the program next week where my second cycle will start. Maybe I'll do the 5*2K on the treadmill next Thursday!

Have a nice weekend.

Cheers,
Paul

Following the sub-40 10K program - TheEd - 05-02-2010

don't stress too much about it, if however you able to slot in the quality sessions then you are making progress

for the easy aerobic get out the skis .. that will seriously be beneficial

Onwards and forwards

TheEd

Following the sub-40 10K program - pabstars - 08-02-2010

Hi TheEd,

Yesterday I ran the first 10K this year. As the weather conditions were relatively bad, my performance of 42.46 was OK. Last year, I ran it in 41.13 and ended as #220. This year I was #210 as people were much slower this year. My next 10K will be on 14. March unless the weather is still crazy in Denmark. So therefore I will only return to the 10K cycle 19 days before the 10K run. The next two weeks there will also be quite a bit of quality as I'm going out to do 1K intervals tomorrow and a nasty treadmill session will be waiting for me on Thursday. Either this Thursday or in 10 days, I will perhaps try to run a 10K on a treadmill and see how close I get to 40 minutes there. Going skiing would be suicide for me; I'm Danish:duh:

Following the sub-40 10K program - TheEd - 08-02-2010

then come across to our side for some snow, while it lasts

it isn't the easiest weather conditions to train consistently

you can consider training on the 3 week cycle even if there isnt a race as it gets you used to the cycles and then when you go to the next level of training everything goes according to plan

routine then changing routine to get an effect

to go off the schedule now would not achieve the same affect

training the body to reach various levels according to your training cycles and with development you can lift the body exactly when you want the performance to happen

Ask questions for better clarity if necessary

TheEd

Following the sub-40 10K program - pabstars - 10-02-2010

Hi TheEd,

I'll follow your piece of advice. However, I won't be able to be too tight with the days of running. For example, if I take a run tonight, it may very well be the 30 minute (day 2) and then the 60 minute run tomorrow (day 1). And when doing the 5*2K it will be on Saturday (day 4), so a rest day may be on Friday instead (day 3) and then having the long run on Sunday. I know that it would be ideal to follow the plan exactly but this is difficult with a full-time job and a lively family!

Sparta admitted that the course was 248 m too long on Sunday, so this makes the performance more acceptable! For the non-elite, at least 500 m were lost in a total on trying to overtake and running in and out of the snow.

Yesterday, I was out with some friends taking some insanely fast intervals of about 400-700 meters. This was just lovely; I've tried to persuade them follow the same program, so that they can also do some of the nasty workouts. However, the 5*2 will be on my own, so it will be really tough; Even though it is very cold, it won't be snowing for some days, so now it is possible to run fast workouts on some cycle paths.

My goal for the run on 14th March will depend on the weather conditions but probably it will be sub-41 or sub-40:30 :please:

Cheers,
Paul

Following the sub-40 10K program - TheEd - 10-02-2010

unfortunately the balance of the program is important, even if you miss the easy runs keeping the quality sessions is the NB! .. so if you able to find a way round the problem then it would be great.

selling children, is one good solution, yes? Wink

Take care

TheEd
ps.. will drop you a PM message