Running Information Forums
Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan (/Thread-Slow-progress-on-the-sub-35-10k-plan)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan - Dan_Jericho - 09-03-2015

Hi Ed,

Ok I will repeat the last training cycle with the revisions you suggest.

Can you explain more or signpost what you mean by focus on the long and easy runs please?

I've entered a 10k for 10th May and there is another one I want to compete in on the 21st June. I like the Parkruns and will probably run a few at race pace too throughout the year.

When I wrote that I did a 10k TT, I meant the run on day 19 of the training cycle which I usually do early in the morning on my own. Are you saying that if I'm not racing on day 19 then I should reduce the distance as suggested?

Cheers,
Dan.

Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan - Dan_Jericho - 30-06-2015

Hi Ed,

Just wanted to update you and ask for a little more advice.

I've stuck with the sub35 programme and as suggested focussed on the relaxed runs and consequently worried less about the hard runs. I've been running the hard sessions without busting a gut trying to achieve the exact specified times. I do run them hard, but with just a fraction less effort than previously.

I ran my first sub 17:00 5k (achieving a time of 16:50) in April then I ran a 10k race in May in 35:48. Shortly after that I ran another 5k race in 16:14. After that I was eager to try another 10k and last Sunday morning ran a 10k race in 34:49.

So now I'm thinking about aiming for a sub34 10k. Would you recommend moving straight onto the sub34 programme?

Thanks,
Dan.

Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan - TheEd - 01-07-2015

congrats Dan .. consider going onto the off period and build up for a few weeks so you able to bring your aerobic runs / level up . then a 4k time-trial

we maintain the 1hr runs in certain areas instead of the 30 minutes easy (for example) and we do the 2k and 1k sessions according to the 4k time-trial

then the training will have been progressive

please ask questions about the suggestions

TheEd
ps.. congrats on cracking 35 .. once you running sub 17 for 5k, going under 34 minutes is very possible

Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan - Dan_Jericho - 02-07-2015

Thanks Ed!

I'll go straight onto the off period followed by 1x build up, then I'll run a 4k time-trial in 5 weeks time (all being well). I'll come back to you then with some numbers.

Which 30 mins easy runs are replaced by 1hr runs on the programme?

Thanks again for all the support and info you/time-to-run provide :-)

Cheers,
Dan.

Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan - TheEd - 05-07-2015

we can discuss which days to replace with 1hr runs after the build-up .. however, if you look on the program, you will see easy days of 30 - 40 minutes, we can look to start replacing those runs with 1hr, doing so progressively

on we go

TheEd

Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan - Dan_Jericho - 23-09-2015

Hi Ed,

I'm back running after a 6 week break (no running at all, just swimming and some gym) due to an achilles injury. Caused from an off-road race in hills – the downhill sections were the hardest on my legs. Achilles feeling ok now.

I’ve been running relaxed 30 minute runs for the last week. Feeling like running faster but holding back for now.

How should I proceed onto the 10k plan - a 4k time trial, or go through a build-up period first?

Many thanks,
Dan.

Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan - TheEd - 28-09-2015

Hi Dan, what did you decide on?

TheEd
ps.. did you do a 4k, work out the time and start the cycle?

Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan - Dan_Jericho - 29-09-2015

Hi Ed,

So I decided to run the 4k time trial this morning at the local 400m track.

I ran 4000m in 14:10. Pushed myself fairly hard and felt ok considering I haven’t done a quality session for about 9 weeks I think.

I’ll start on the programme tomorrow morning. I’ve calculated the following times to use for the 1st cycle:
2k intervals at 3:40 (7:20) R90
1K intervals at 3:30 R60
400m intervals at 1:20 R60

About aiming for a sub-34 time, shall I see how the first 1 or 2 training cycles go for now before making any changes to the sub-35 programme?

Cheers,
Dan.

Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan - TheEd - 29-09-2015

great Dan, let's have you doing the 2k session before we discuss anything quicker

so look forward to further feedback

TheEd

Slow progress on the sub 35 10k plan - Dan_Jericho - 01-02-2016

Hi Ed, happy new year to you and the team!

I needed more time to sort out my Achilles problem and only did relaxed running up to late Dec. Things seem to be going well now. I’ve just completed 2 x training cycles starting at a relaxed pace and culminating in a 10k race yesterday morning, finishing in 37:23 / 3.44 per k. The race felt good and I finished strong with no problems.

But I’m not feeling very quick yet. My latest 5 x 2k’s averaged 3:41 per k and my paced 5k (day 12 of the last training cycle) was completed in 18:55.

My aim is to run a sub34. Previously you mentioned modifying the training cycle slightly. I feel I need to get back to sub35 fitness first.

Any advice/comments gratefully received.

Cheers
Dan.