Running Information Forums
Journey to sub 33k... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Journey to sub 33k... (/Thread-Journey-to-sub-33k)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 04-09-2016

Hello TheEd

It's been a topsy turvy time for me. I haven't really improved since my last post (times dropped) which I put down to missing the odd session due to niggles (the odd session is a lot when you run 3 times a week!) and dropping the biking sessions. However August has been a good training month, I have been running every other day (50k weeks) and believe I am finally back to where I was. I'm going to add the bike sessions back in at very low intensity and see how it goes.

I've been practicing starting the intervals slow and finishing fast as you advised. I struggled with this approach until I realized that how fast you go in the intervals doesn't really affect fitness its the overall training volume that does that. I came to realize that the value in intervals is the ability to practice race form (as you have stated time and again but we fail to listen Wink ). I applied the practice in a recent race (hilly 10k at the end of August) and was able to run relaxed and take 5 seconds out of a competitor on the finishing straight. Intervals are far more fun to run this wayand less stressfull.

I finished the 10k race in 39:18. Its got 150m of climbing in it which I reckon equates to 38:18 on the flat. I think I need to learn to race at a higher effort. I've managed to average 183BPM before but this time only 178BPM.

Next race is early October when I really hope to go sub 38.

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 04-09-2016

Hi skeldol, great to have the feedback

I truly think you too hard on yourself, considering the amount of training you are doing, your results speak volumes.

saying that, have you see the articles:

Race Your Best 10km

and then

Tips for Interval Training

Enjoy

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 09-10-2016

Thanks TheEd, I've read those articles a few times now Smile

Ran a 10k today. It was hillier than I expected, had four gates to open and close and I went the wrong way twice and had to be called back by marshalls so very happy with 37:53.

After a freind smashed his PB by adding in 5 hours on the bike each week I've been prioritizing long easy distance and have upped the mileage (slowly) from the mid 40s to the mid 50s (km). Oh & I bought a bike Wink. I'm still only running every other day.

I've noticed that my interval times have suffered as its the interval sessions I've dropped when I've been ill. Hoping I can get the interval times back to where they were and hopefully faster over winter.

I've also noticed I can sustain a higher average heart rate (from 179 to 181). My heart rate on the easy runs is requiring more effort from the legs to get into target zone.

Next race is April. Will be aiming for 36:50. With a long term target (the big one) of sub 35 in 2018. After that I'll hit 44 and its game over Wink

Thanks.

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 11-10-2016

Great to see you still going at it and in a way enjoying it Wink

IT being that running thing

In working with triathletes I believed in the benefit of cycling for aerobic development, if the cycling was done correctly

though it was still important to maintain one long run every 3 weeks

the intervals are important to maintain the pace needed

any short term goals, like 5k times for example Wink

onwards

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 21-10-2016

Well I booked into another 10k mid November because I reckon my last race was short, I am hoping for 37:50. After that I'd really like to crack 18 on the 5k so when I think I am ready that's my next target.

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 23-10-2016

are you able to do any 2k and 1k sessions

this will help with the pace

enjoy
TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 24-10-2016

I'm doing the 2k & 1k according to the plan.

Back at the start of July I was doing 6*1k @ 3:31. Now its 3:38 Sad

Assume this is due to increased mileage & hence fatigue and when I taper for my race in November the fruit will fall from the tree.

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 24-10-2016

hope it is 'fruitful' Smile

dont worry too much if the pace is slower, but do try to start slower and finish stronger in the sessions, so even starting at 3.40 and then trying to go quicker thereafter

getting into the rhythm of using up the energy slowly

good luck

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 23-11-2016

So after my last post I spent two weeks training for a race. I dropped mileage from 70km peak to @45km for those two weeks & was disappointed that interval pace was still slowing Sad But then I scored a surprising 37:44 in the 10k race! HR profile was exactly the same as the race in April (same route) so that's just over 1 minute improvement in 7 months.

I was pleased with the time & was even more pleased that I finally had no trace of injury! Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee Smile

So with an injury free knee I decided to see if I can get my running to 5 days a week. I think I need to, to progress to sub 35. I figured to move to the build phase & drop intervals whilst I increase running days. So for the past 1.5 weeks I've been on the build-up phase running 5 days a week. After only a week I could feel the knee grumble ever so slightly very occasionally. But its getting worse after every run. Sooooooooo my plan is to go back to 4 days a week on the build-up phase with an added cycle session. I'm going to try to get to 5 days injury free by say mid Jan. If that doesn't work then I'll admit 4 days is my ceiling and & bring back in the quality work. Sound good?

Thanks

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 24-11-2016

skeldol, that is the idea, to have the good run on the day that counts Smile

then, to increase days running and try to lift the game is where the common mistake is made. You are not the first, nor will you be the last to do this.

maintain the lower level running and instead of running on other days, consider swimming, mainly to give you the feeling that you doing something

stick to the same pace for the 2k and the 1k achieved before the 10k race, and then consider increasing the long run by 10%

provide more feedback, as the idea is to get you running injury free again

onwards

TheEd