Running Information Forums
Half marathon - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Half marathon (/Thread-Half-marathon)

Half marathon - RunForrestRun - 01-01-2016

Last year, your training routine took me succesfully from 55' to 47' in just three months:notworthy:. Later in the year after a couple of half marathons, an injury and overtraining (I've run 2000 Km in 2015) have taken me off the road for a couple of months.
Now I am getting back :mrburnsConfusedomehow more cautiously (race test: 52') and my goals for the year are:
-beating the 45' mark in the 10K
-Running three HMs (April, July, November)

Does it make sense doing 2x3weeks 10K cycle, then 2 weeks off-training, 3 week build-up and two three-week cycles for the HM by end of April? (1st peak form moment of the season)

Adapting the 10K routine to hm preparation is really as simple as increasing the distance in the long run, leaving the rest of the training intact? What would be the optimum distance?

Half marathon - TheEd - 04-01-2016

Hi there RunForrest, I have moved your post to a new thread

you have everything well planned and if we increase the long run to 18k in training you should be fine for the half marathon

over to you for further feedback and thoughts

TheEd

Half marathon - RunForrestRun - 30-01-2016

Hi TheEd
I am halfway in the off-training cycle and I have a question.

what happens to me is the following: I can comfortably run easy during let's say 60' without getting exhausted and i am doing it just following my sensations. When i check the avg heart-rate after the easy workout it reads 150 which I find high (I am 50 and have a base heartrate of 58). Not that I feel bad or anything But I don't know if it is better to follow my sensations or force myself to run easier to produce a lower heartrate?

Half marathon - TheEd - 02-02-2016

forrest try to run at 140 bpm, and break your runs down into segments, taking a 1 minute break to stretch and breathe before starting up again

do this and let me know how things go

TheEd

Half marathon - RunForrestRun - 13-02-2016

Hi.

Now i have myself confined to sub140 bpm. I don't really get less exhausted and i am going way slower so i am trusting your judgement here that taking it easier (even forcing your pace to be slower) will payback in due time.... Cool

Now another one: For the build-up, when you speak of, for instance, 70% effort, is it @ base beatrate +0.7x(max beatrate-base beatrate)? I don't get it.

If base beatrate=58 and max=170, this would lead to 136, which is calmer than what we have called easy so far (below 140). What the heck?:please:

Thanks in advance

Half marathon - TheEd - 15-02-2016

Forrest, don't worry about these things for now, as you progress you will learn more, these programs are progressive and you will get to know all about your different pace and heart rate as you go through the cycles

on average 140 works for most runners on the programs here, we do expect some athletes to be different, and I have personally coached a 28 minute 10k runner who's pulse was exceptionally low, and throw in the fact that he couldn't stretch to save his life and it only confirms that some athletes are simply different Big Grin

as mentioned, don't hassle about these things for now, try to keep it simple

and for now, if your easy run is 140, make the keep the 70% run below 160 bpm

the number one ambition is to go through the cycle, and then look to run faster at the end of the cycle, then go through the cycle again, all the time learning more and more, gaining running experience

on we go and I hope this helps

TheEd