Running Information Forums
10k progression running 3-4 times a week - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10k progression running 3-4 times a week (/Thread-10k-progression-running-3-4-times-a-week)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: 10k progression running 3-4 times a week - TheEd - 21-07-2022

seriously .. 4.35 off the current build-up is a very decent pace

Smile

TheEd

RE: 10k progression running 3-4 times a week - Punkthor - 22-07-2022

Thanks TheEd Smile Def. happy and surprised with the result. If I should progress onto the 10k programs now, what would be the pacing? 4.30 for 5k and 4.40 for 10k?

RE: 10k progression running 3-4 times a week - TheEd - 26-07-2022

Hi Thor, those paces are a good starting point

enjoy the process TheEd

RE: 10k progression running 3-4 times a week - Punkthor - 22-08-2022

Hi, TheEd! Hope the last part of summer has treated you well. I have a question for you. When I did both the off period and build up programs, I struggled to keep my HR in the easy/conversational zone. There's a lot of mixed messages online about running intensities, but what most seem to agree on is that HR on easy runs should not exceed 70-75% of maxHR. This seems very hard for me to do, unless I run at a pace that is close to a fast walk. Also my running routes are hilly. So for the question: Is it OK to walk to keep the intensity right? According to some elaborate articles, like this one https://www.howardluksmd.com/zone-2-hr-training-live-longer-less-injury/ it's paramount to not leave this zone (zone 2 - 65%-75% of MaxHR) to reap the benefits of a true easy run.

The reason I ask is that I have no races planned and my plan is therefore to focus on base training and with a long perspective. When I try to easy run, like in the build up program I end up exceeding 75% of MaxHR and accumulate fatique. I'm afraid this will take away my motivation in the longer run. Therefore I've been toying with the idea to never run shorter runs than 45 mins, but at the same time keep HR at less than 70% of maxHR, which will mean quite a lot of walking, at least on all the hills.

I'm really interested to hear your perspective on this, TheEd, considering your long experience with running and coaching.

Thanks!

RE: 10k progression running 3-4 times a week - TheEd - 22-08-2022

Hi Thor, break the runs into 10 minute segments .. run 10 minutes and then stop and stretch to allow the pulse to get back to your specific need and yes, you can also walk to bring the pulse back down

depending on when you want to be ready to run harder will probably come naturally

try this out and let me know how things progress

and in truth, I prefer to use heart rate zones to avoid problems and to warn one when things are wrong but with time you should know your own body and what works

I hope this helps

TheEd

RE: 10k progression running 3-4 times a week - Punkthor - 24-08-2022

Thanks a bunch for your advice, TheED. 10 minute segments is a new approach for me so excited to try that out. I'll also insert some strides and 10 sec hill sprints at the end of some of the runs, just to add some form of speed into the program. I'll definitelly report back to you after some time and let you know how things a going.

Again, thanks for your advice, always much appreciated Smile

RE: 10k progression running 3-4 times a week - TheEd - 31-08-2022

Hi Thor, stay away from the hill sprints for now, that is towards specific development and can also have a counter effect at times

get running first before looking at the hill sprints

unless of course you training towards track races Wink

TheEd

RE: 10k progression running 3-4 times a week - Punkthor - 31-08-2022

Alright, I'll put the hill sprints back on the shelf for now. What about strides? Lately I've been doing them at the end of every other run - 5 x 20-30 secs of 85-90% effort.

RE: 10k progression running 3-4 times a week - TheEd - 26-09-2022

Hi Thor, how has your running progressed?

TheEd

RE: 10k progression running 3-4 times a week - Punkthor - 09-10-2022

Hi, TheEd!

Thanks for checking in! I accidently broke my watch 3 weeks ago. So I've been working out without any stats available the last few weeks. I'm expecting to get a replacement watch this week so I can start monitoring the pulse again. The plan is to keep working on staying at 70% of MHR through fall and winter. I have a treadmill available to me. Is this kind of training suitable on treadmills? If you have any tips on good base training workouts on the mill, feel free to let me know Smile

- Thor