Running Information Forums
Build Up Period - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Build Up Period (/Thread-Build-Up-Period)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 14-03-2017

Hi TheEd,

I skipped the 400m session today in favor of a 45min easy run. My throat stopped being itchy but since Monday morning I feel it kinda dry, so I thought it wouldn't be recommended to push hard today.

I'll see how I feel the following days. I'm thinking to schedule an appointment with my doc on Thursday to check on my throat. I'd like to know if she recommends racing or not.

Easy runs are going well for what's worth.

Build Up Period - TheEd - 16-03-2017

Hi O, monitor your morning pulse and keep drinking liquids

how are you feeling now?

If your pulse is low you should be OK to do a time-trial or other

TheEd
ps. be patient, it sometimes takes a little longer to slot into the routine

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 16-03-2017

Went to my doc this morning, she said it should be ok to race if it doesn't get worse. She says there's no sign of infection, it's more like an allergic faringitis so I should be ok.

Morning pulse is as usuall, around 40bpm(+/-3bpm), during daytime while in ofice at work is usually between 48-55bpm.

Build Up Period - TheEd - 17-03-2017

do note, that if you do race or run hard (which is fine), you more likely to get more sick afterwards

walk up some stairs and then down to see how the muscles feel

if they ache, then reconsider whether to race or not

TheEd

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 18-03-2017

So, I decided to race after all. I felt ok on Friday and also this morning.

Race was a 16km trail race with 1055m positive elevation and nice rainy chilly weather Smile). I finished on 50'th place out of 121 participants in 02h:27m.

Target was under 2h:20m, but somehow my right shoe got untied around the 11k mark and I only noticed after I felt pain behind my right ankle. Pain was caused by a very painful blister that got me limping on the last 4km, which were on a smooth downhill grade. Normally I would have ran these at under 4:30/km, but due to the blister it was around 6:30/km.... So, precious time lost on the last 4k.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the result considering that I got badly out of shape after that cold I got in December...

Muscles are sore at the moment, I've got no cramps during/after the race. Average bpm was 169, max bpm was 187.

I will rest the next 2 days and start on Tuesday with the 2'nd cycle.

Build Up Period - TheEd - 19-03-2017

Hi Mr O, do make sure to focus on recovery, please ..

Tuesday, consider only 30 minutes easy, make sure to recover before stepping to the plate again...

TheEd
ps.. Please note, I do not get too involved with the runner in the early stages of the program on the forums, as (from experience) the athlete is often filled with enthusiasm and go. So things are easy then, I step in once the athlete begins to go through a few cycles. Experience in running is the best lessons a runner can learn, so please excuse me if at times it comes across as though I am not 'too' interested in your development. The programs are progressive and the journey must be enjoyable Smile

Build Up Period - fabregerson - 20-03-2017

Following.

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 21-03-2017

Hi TheEd,
So, I did an easy 30min run today like you suggested.

30min run; 4.87km @ 06m:10s/km @ 147bpm avg

I felt ok, except the fact that my thighs are still a bit sore & stiff. They're not as sore & stiff as yesterday, when I had trouble getting out of bed in the morning :- )).

Hopefully the soreness will pass so I can do the 2k session on Thursday.

In case thighs are still sore on Thursday, what do you recommend?
  • do 2k session anyway?
  • start the 2'nd cycle next Tuesday & do some easy runs this week?

Build Up Period - TheEd - 23-03-2017

don't be in a rush to return to training, keep this week to easy running

you can probably do a longer run on the weekend

and then start up from Day 1 on Tuesday

TheEd

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 23-03-2017

Hey Ed,
I saw your post a bit late, as I did the 2k session today. Anyway, muscle soreness passed by yesterday evening and I woke up today feeling pretty optimistic :-). See the 2k breakdown below. Target pace is 4m:20s/km. As you can see below I don't quite manage to balance the pace between 1'st & 2'nd km, at least for the first and 2'nd 2ks...
  • 1st 2k; perceived effort 3/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:12s @ 171 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:22s @ 175 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R1 -> 90s; 150 avg bpm and 132bpm right at the start of 2'nd 2k
  • 2nd 2k; perceived effort 3/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:11s @ 172 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:20s @ 179 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R2 -> 90s; 151 avg bpm and 133bpm right at the start of 3'rd 2k
  • 3rd 2k; perceived effort 3/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:18s @ 173 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R3 -> 90s; 155 avg bpm and 136bpm right at the start of 4'th 2k
  • 4th 2k; perceived effort 4/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:17s @ 173 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R4 -> 90s; 156 avg bpm and 138bpm right at the start of 5'th 2k
  • 5th 2k; perceived effort 4.5/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:21s @ 173 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:22s @ 179 bpm avg[/INDENT]

Edit:
1) I also sent a PM with the Garmin activity link.
2) What do you think about tempo runs(by tempo I mean around lactose threshold)? Is it a good idea to replace some a couple of the easy 30min runs with them?