Running Information Forums
Back after Long Break - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Back after Long Break (/Thread-Back-after-Long-Break)

Back after Long Break - kk_law - 02-06-2017

Hi all, it's been two years since I've been here. Gavin, are you still around? Life has been very busy leaving very little time to do any focused training, mostly just running when opportunity allows until recently. Started back into a regular routine a few months ago, still trying to find my legs again. Some new things I'm going to try this time around based on some things I've learned about myself during my extended break: I really like training for the sake of training. I missed it while life took over; now that I have some more time in my schedule I am itching to get back into a more focused routine.

I'm not going to set a race goal this time. I feel like that's putting the horse before the cart. My new intention is to focus on training and letting the results land where they land. I want to know I'm following the plan as best as my body will allow and what will be will be.

This has lead to what I feel is my first major breakthrough: I finally feel like I've gotten a handle on is how to run easy runs! Without a race looming in the future, it's a lot easier to just run slow during my easy/recovery days. I am hoping that will help over the long term to enable me to follow the training and get very focused on doing the quality workouts (5x2k, 10x1K etc).

I just started a new cycle this week, ran a 4x2K R90 at 4:35 pace and felt in control the whole time. Will see how the rest of the cycle goes this month and will report back.

It's nice to be on the road again Smile

Back after Long Break - TheEd - 05-06-2017

welcome back kk

training adds a good balance to life, routine of this nature can only be good

looking forward to your feedback

TheEd

Back after Long Break - kk_law - 18-06-2017

I missed a week of running because of 10 hr days of being on my feet all day with 40lbs of gear strapped to me the whole time. Picked up where I left off:

Long Run 12.62KM, 1:23, 6:38 min/km, AVG HR 135

Track 5x1KR90 AVG HR 155
4:17
4:18
4:15
4:16
4:14

5K Tempo AVG HR 143

4:33
4:30
4:28
4:25
4:20

I've been doing all my easy runs at 135-140 bpm, usually around 6:10-6:30 pace, a lot slower than feels natural but the legs feel pretty good, the slower pace is helping. I am seeing the pace increase even over such a short period of time while keeping the heart rate the same.

No race planned any time soon, 400M repeats this week and I suppose a 4K time trial is in order to really assess my current fitness level. Looking forward to seeing where the new approach to training takes me.

Back after Long Break - TheEd - 20-06-2017

nice to see you developing consistency, even if the running has been slower

you should start rolling towards a new level after a few harder runs

enjoy

TheEd