Running Information Forums
I want to run faster! - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: I want to run faster! (/Thread-I-want-to-run-faster)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

I want to run faster! - AndrewL - 03-10-2017

Hi! I want to run faster. I took about 15 years off running and started again five years ago. I ran my first race in 20 years two weekends ago (10k, 38:05 official time - but the course was short) and decided to sign up for another race in six weeks (on 11/11). The training program I was using greatly improved my fitness level, but I don't think it did enough to improve my overall speed, which I consider a weak point. So, I searched around for a program that might be better suited to what I need and found here.

Anyway, I am 38 (39 next week), 190cm and about 74kg. I run daily or nearly so, but have 3 small kids so generally can only train late at night when they are sleeping.

I ran a 4k yesterday as suggested: 14:48 (coincidentally that is exactly 888 seconds)

1: 3:36
2. 3:44
3. 3:44
4. 3:42

I don't have a heart rate monitor, so can't help with that.

Anyway, I will start your program tonight, which will give me two cycles prior to race day, but am not sure of the exact times I should shoot for. The sub 35 program is too fast for me now, and the sub 40 seems too slow. I was planning on splitting the difference, but would accept any advice. Thanks!

I want to run faster! - TheEd - 03-10-2017

Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forums.

It would be nice to see what you have been doing in the past, and if you able to mention what sessions you have been doing, eg. long run and quality sessions if any

to get an angle on the pace for the 2k session, please take a look at the 10k Program Tips and see if you able to work your pace out from those instructions.
http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/programtips.htm

the aim of our structure is for the athlete to become self-sufficient and to understand their running. We will guide you and be here as a sounding board as you progress

on we go

TheEd
ps.. will await your next post with the times you have set for yourself, and then will provide further feedback

I want to run faster! - AndrewL - 03-10-2017

Thanks! Well, for a few years I was just running casually and didn't have a program or anything. My fastest 10k at that time was about 40:30 (running solo). Then my job decided to sponsor employees for a nearby race, so I decided I would go for it.

I wanted to be sub 40, so I found an online program (I can't remember where) that was based around 400m intervals, tempo runs, and build ups at the end of long runs. That did ok for me (I followed it for 10 weeks), but I honestly don't think I improved much over my previous ability, so I looked some more and found here.

Anyway, I will set my interval times at 7:40 (2k), 3:40 (1k) and :84 (400m), as per your link.

Finally, finished day 1 just now: 15km in exactly 69:00. Felt good, not tired or winded at all. Unfortunately I will be traveling with family tomorrow so I might have to miss day 2, but this is the holiday season here in Korea and I don't have any choice.

I want to run faster! - TheEd - 03-10-2017

Great to have all this info. Magic

you can miss Day 2 .. Day 3 - 5 - 8 are the most important days

there is a lot of detail about the programs and their purposes in various articles, however we will look to keep things simple in the beginning (the KISS principle)

you have your pace for the 2k session, however, for the first 2 x 2k look to ease into them, so 7.50 would be fine, the last 3 you can see if you have the go to aim towards 7.40

Enjoy the holiday and we look forward to hearing about your first 2k session

onwards

TheEd

I want to run faster! - AndrewL - 05-10-2017

Well, I missed Day 2, as expected. No time to escape during the family trip. I did just finish Day 3, which was a great workout. I was huffing and puffing on the last couple of laps. I didn't think I would make it, but I hit the goal time for each interval:

1. 3:47 + 3:48 = 7:35
2. 3:43 + 3:47 = 7:30
3. 3:45 + 3:48 = 7:33
4. 3:49 + 3:49 = 7:38
5. 3:47 + 3:48 = 7:35

I started out too fast on each of the first 3 intervals and really needed to force myself to ease up. The last 2 I was hurting and had to push to keep myself at pace. Between intervals 1-2 and 2-3, 90 seconds seemed so long, but between 3-4 and 4-5, that 90 seconds just flew by. Phew! Anyway, I am feeling good, and am happy with the times.

I want to run faster! - TheEd - 06-10-2017

a decent session Andrew

for the future, if you can find a training partner to share this session with, will be a great help, especially when the enthusiasm dampers

nice going

TheEd

I want to run faster! - AndrewL - 06-10-2017

Unfortunately, the likelihood of finding a running partner is near zero. Fortunately, I have boundless enthusiasm. With three kids at home I cherish any time I get outside, even intervals.

More seriously, I have been thinking of how to proceed after two cycles and my race on 11/11. Winter is difficult for me because I don't have any quality cold weather gear, so I am thinking of trying to do at least one (and maybe 2) more cycles before a rest and a buildup. If I do two cycles, it could extend the buildup into February, which would be good.

Anyway, that is getting ahead of myself. Let's get through two cycles and my 11/11 race first and then we can decide how to get through the winter.

Long run tomorrow at 90 minutes. I predict about 19k at easy pace. It is probably best to take it one day at a time.

I want to run faster! - AndrewL - 07-10-2017

Day 5 - done!

I ran exactly 18.5km in exactly 90:00. This was off my anticipated pace, but I don't think it is because of a lack of fitness. I met some old friends last night and had a bit too much beer.

Incidentally, I could have picked up the pace a bit but am not sure how hard I should push the long run. Today was basically zero effort, although my legs were a bit tired the last 2km or so. How much effort should I be putting into these long runs?

I want to run faster! - TheEd - 10-10-2017

nice going, lets see how the 1k session goes

then you can back off a little

best not to think too far ahead but instead get through this cycle and take things from there

enjoy

TheEd

I want to run faster! - AndrewL - 10-10-2017

Day 6: 30:00 - 6.50km
Day 7: 45:00 - 10.00km (I didn't even look at my watch for either of these, so surprising they came out so even)
Day 8: 6 x 1000m @ 3:40 60 rest

1. 3:33 (wasn't sure of correct pace)
2. 3:39
3. 3:40
4. 3:39
5. 3:38
6. 3:39

This was honestly the hardest workout I have ever had in my life. The first 1 was ok, 2 was hard, 3 was excruciating, 4 was numb, 5 I couldn't breathe, after 60 seconds I was still gasping for breath like a fish out of water, and 6 my legs felt like rubber. Phew!

It was incredibly humid today, and it was my first day back to work after a ten day holiday, which probably increased the difficulty. However, the truth is that my leg speed is weak. I can run at 3:50 pretty easily, but 3:40 hurts!