Running Information Forums
1 run per week - optimal 5k training strategy? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 5km Training (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-5km-Training)
+--- Thread: 1 run per week - optimal 5k training strategy? (/Thread-1-run-per-week-optimal-5k-training-strategy)

1 run per week - optimal 5k training strategy? - GavMoon - 28-02-2018

Hi TheEd,

I have a new challenge for you: 5k training with just 1 run a week.

Here's some background:
Around 5 years ago we had a long thread going about achieveing a sub-20 5k on 3 runs a week. That ended when I hurt my back again.

A few things have changed since then - I gave up running, did a lot of swimming, had MRIs, prolotherapy and did pilates. A wrist injury late last year put me out of swimming for a few months so I decided to give running another go. I started by alternating 1 minute jogging with 1 minute walking, doing around 1 session a week. I've progressed to more, faster running and less walking and last week I managed a half hour session without any walking.
My jogging pace is around 5:00/km and faster stuff is around 4:00-4:20/km.

I'd like some guidance on how best to train for a 5k with just one session a week? I realise this won't be easy. The sessions will only be around half an hour as well. This is because I don't want to risk popping the back again. Ultimate goal would be a sprint triathlon if I get that far.

I'll probably be doing 5 sessions of swimming/riding a week as well which should help with fitness - some of these will be intense.

The goal is still sub-20 but I appreciate that may take some time... Wink

What do you think?
GM

1 run per week - optimal 5k training strategy? - TheEd - 28-02-2018

Hi Gavmoon, no harm in a challenge Wink

will you only run once a week and the rest would be made up of a little swimming and cycling?

want to confirm, as then we could devise something

TheEd

1 run per week - optimal 5k training strategy? - GavMoon - 28-02-2018

Yes that’s right TheEd, probably 3 hours of swimming and 1-2 hours of riding per week. Some of those, especially the swims, will be highly anaerobic.
So 6 sessions a week, consisting of 1 run, 2 rides and 3 swims + one rest day.

1 run per week - optimal 5k training strategy? - TheEd - 04-03-2018

What I would recommend is to do the

5 x 2k session 1 week

the 6 x 1k 1 week

then 5k paced one week

the 4 th week consider a time-on-feet run depending on needs

what does this look like to you?

TheEd

1 run per week - optimal 5k training strategy? - GavMoon - 04-03-2018

Hi TheEd,

That sounds pretty good, only thing is my longest run so far is just over 6km, so I’d have to work up to the distances in those sessions (not impossible but I’ll be cautious and do it very gradually).

Would the paced 5k be a parkrun or similar? I had that on the radar.

I was planning to run at 6am tomorrow (in about 9 hours). If I don’t hear from you I’ll try 2x2km done at a tempo around 4:30 pace. I did a hard bike session this afternoon so was looking for a less intense run.

Is it easy jogging between the intervals or stationery rest?

Btw I get heaps of data from my nice new Garmin 935. Not sure how much you go in for the metrics but apparently my lactate threshold is 4:31/km and 165bpm.

GM

1 run per week - optimal 5k training strategy? - GavMoon - 04-03-2018

Ok I was still feeling a bit tired this morning so just did a slow steady paced run and here are the details:
6.36km at 5:05/km
Km pace breakdown in case you're interested:
1 - 5:24
2 - 5:06
3 - 5:02
4 - 5:01
5 - 4:58
6 - 4:58

Felt ok. Legs and glutes tired and will be feeling it tomorrow I'm sure.
So this is only the second time I've managed to run the half hour without stopping for a stretch or a walking break between intervals (the first was last weekend). It's also my longest run by a smidgen.

I'll be ready for an interval session next week. If I know in advance I can plan to not do a hard ride the day before Smile
We're under way!
GM

1 run per week - optimal 5k training strategy? - TheEd - 07-03-2018

you can drop doing the long run, and focus on a long ride of up to 2hrs, if possible

park run will do as a paced run

make sure to recover on the days before and after a 2k or 1k session

so best no ride till you adapt

swimming is always fine

hope this helps

TheEd

1 run per week - optimal 5k training strategy? - GavMoon - 13-03-2018

Ok TheEd I did 3x1km today, with 90s of rest between them. I was aiming for 4:10-4:20 pace but it was dark and hard to read Garmin, ended up with:
4:09, 4:02, 3:59

This was probably a bit too fast. I was puffing hard on the last one and got a new max running HR of 184.

I think I’ll do 2x2km next week, any pace/rest suggestions and/or comments on today’s session?

Thanks,
GM

1 run per week - optimal 5k training strategy? - TheEd - 13-03-2018

To be truthful, doing 3 x 1k or 2 x 2k

does not really help in the development department

consider 4 x 2k with Rest 2 minutes

and

5 x 1k Rest 75 sec

obviously at a slower pace but you will gain more than simply running fast

hopefully you understand where I am going with this Smile

TheEd