Running Information Forums
How to lose three minutes and three kilos... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: How to lose three minutes and three kilos... (/Thread-How-to-lose-three-minutes-and-three-kilos)

Pages: 1 2 3

How to lose three minutes and three kilos... - Elethiomel - 04-07-2018

Hi Ed

Recently picked up your 40 min training plan as I'm attempting to run a quick 10 on 15 September.

My previous best is 41:34 but that was before my wee lad came along nearly two years ago. Since then I've been mainly eating and playing lethargic hockey, but recently started getting back into things on and off and ran 43:24, albeit with a quite a bit of cycling alongside (around 80 miles a week).

I had no expectation of actually successfully going under 40 minutes in September but since starting the plan things have been promising - made 5x2 at 3:55 and 6x1 at 3:45 both on a treadmill with the gradient up. Didn't actually stop between those periods, just slowed down to 5 min per km which meant I averaged 4:02 for over 7.5 km on the second session. As a result I've cut the cycling to see how fast I can go.

Hit my first snag this week attempting to run the first paced 5km under 20 mins, ended up only making 4km at 20 minute pace. I have few things to blame/learn from - I wasn't carrying water and needed some, it was hot (30 Celsius) and windy, and my asthma flared up and I ran my third km far too quickly (3:40) but I was still disappointed and a bit surprised. Truth be told I expected to smash it.

Had a few questions:

Rolleyes How concerned should I be about the failed five? Is it a big setback or understandable in the circumstances? Mainly looking for reassurance tbh.
:yikes: How much quicker should I look to go during the 5x2 and 6x1 in cycle two?
Cool If I am to time race day with the end of a cycle then I need to leave a gap of a few days, conveniently I have a holiday coming up at the end of the current cycle. What should I do during the "down time"? I was thinking just some easy running to keep my eye in, possibly with a single tempo session.

How to lose three minutes and three kilos... - TheEd - 05-07-2018

Hi Elethiomel, and welcome to the forums

don't hassle too much about things that go wrong, that is all part of the experience and as long as we learn from it, we should be fine.

Can discuss pace strategies at a later stage

The heat, wind and asthma would be enough cause to slow anyone down

Do not increase the speed of the 2k and 1k sessions for now, rather focus on consistency throughout the program

Let's see how training goes for now, and then we can discuss downtime etc

Anything else from your side?

TheEd
ps.. by the way .. don't drop the cycling .. don't do cycling from Day 3 to and including Day 8 .. then you welcome to cycle on the other days

How to lose three minutes and three kilos... - Elethiomel - 05-07-2018

Ok thanks, for this and all the time you clearly spend on these programs and giving advice.

In case it wasn't clear I ran the 4k in 16 minutes so not a total disaster, just expected to make the five at that pace. I do feel I have more in me for the tempo sessions - I kicked on the last of the 6x1 runs which was closer to 3:40 - but I am happy to keep my feet on the ground if that's what is advised. The fact I can get back on the bike is good news for my wallet and mental well-being given alternative commuting methods!

Re. downtime it isn't going to be realistic for me to start my next cycle while I'm away next week. It would mean hitting the 1 hr 30 minute run a day after a wedding with a two year old in tow. Happy to run, but I am likely going to need something to tide me over for four days till I am back in the UK when I can begin the second cycle. As you say though, doesn't need to be decided now.

How to lose three minutes and three kilos... - TheEd - 05-07-2018

Hi there El, re: downtime

run when you can and relax about it

20 - 30 min
30 - 40 min

but no further than an hour, when and where you can fit it in

then chat again on your return

enjoy

TheEd

How to lose three minutes and three kilos... - Elethiomel - 16-07-2018

And we're back.

Went 44:13 on first race day but not disappointed given the heat in Spain and that moving time was only 42:11. Pauses were mainly for traffic although I was really glad of them!

Haven't run much since but walked A LOT in high 30s Celsius so feel I've gotten enough.

Running today, first day of second cycle is tomorrow.

How to lose three minutes and three kilos... - TheEd - 17-07-2018

goog to hear everything went OK

enjoy the new cycle and feedback after the 2k session would be great

TheEd

How to lose three minutes and three kilos... - Elethiomel - 19-07-2018

OK bit of a mea culpa here. Terrible build up for this session.

I had hockey pre-season Tuesday and a friendly hockey tournament on Wednesday. Meant to take it easy, did not. I have also had three bad nights sleep as the wee man re-adjusts to UK time.

Still I made:

1x2km @3:53
3x2km @3:55
Failed the last one at around 400 metres.

Treadmill put out a max heart-rate of 173 while my resting rate is 47.

I had seriously heavy legs before I even started, however I still think the eventual break may have been mental rather than physical. Just tired.

Oh well, we live and learn. I'll skip hockey if it clashes again. Hopefully hasn't set me back too much.

How to lose three minutes and three kilos... - TheEd - 20-07-2018

try to get a few 20 to 30 minute runs in, a little aerobic running will do no harm

enjoy TheEd

How to lose three minutes and three kilos... - Elethiomel - 20-07-2018

TheEd Wrote:try to get a few 20 to 30 minute runs in, a little aerobic running will do no harm

enjoy TheEd

Ok noted. I am planning on going for my longer run as usual tomorrow but taking it easy. Need to rest more.

How to lose three minutes and three kilos... - Elethiomel - 23-07-2018

Rubbish news, I'm injured sadly. My left calf went on my easy ten today. Hardly any warning, one twinge and that was it.

The good news is it doesn't seem that bad. Still I'm going to abandon this cycle while it heals and do some strength work. Plan to build up with some light running to hopefully start the next cyle as planned.

Hockey this week was clearly too much. Will do my best to learn my lesson :duh: