Running Information Forums
Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated (/Thread-Sub-45-Min-10k-Goal-Advice-much-appreciated)

Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated - TigerSmith - 07-11-2018

Hello.

I'm 45 years old, 6ft and weigh around 76kg.

I've been running on and off for seven years.

My best times so far are:

5k 23:10 (in September 2018)
10k 48:44 (in 2013)
Half Marathon 1:54 (last Sunday 4th Nov 2018)

I typically run 3 or 4 times a week, maybe a 5,5,10k and then a long run on Sunday, but don't stick to any particular approach. For the HM training I upped the easy long run by 1km a week to 20km over 12 weeks.

I don't currently cross train and do very little 'speed' work, but do walk a lot.

I have right-side 'runners knee' and have seen a physio (in August) who gave me some exercises to do which have definitely helped but occasionally the pain returns.

This site seems different to others, with a different approach to training which interests me.

During the HM last Sunday at 7k I experienced a sharp pain in my outer left calf. The pain subsided and I was able to finish the race. I went for a fairly quick 5k this morning and there was no pain anywhere.

There is a local parkrun on Saturdays, I've only been once, years ago. I've entered the Adidas Fulham 10k on 18th Nov.

Any guidance on getting my 10k time down generally would be much appreciated!

I should add that running 10k at 4:30 pace seems a long way off...

Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated - TheEd - 08-11-2018

Hi Tiger, and welcome to the forums, thanks for all the data

there is not much time before the next 10k race but what we can do is have you running a paced 5k on Saturday, run at the 10k pace you would like to run at, at the Fulham 10k

we can then roll towards the race and afterwards we can start structuring things to your requirements

are you happy with this arrangement, for now?

TheEd

Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated - TigerSmith - 08-11-2018

Hey TheEd, very happy to have joined the forum, thanks.

Sounds good, but unfortunately on my 5k this morning I felt some fairly harsh right knee pain over an uneven bit of my route (it doesn't seem to ever become aggravated on flat, smooth surfaces) and I'm going to see how it feels tomorrow. Sometimes it clears up very quickly. I wish I didn't have stairs at home, they don't help.

I'm not looking at the Fulham 10k on the 18th as a PB race, I think a 5:25-5:00/km would be good currently.

If I'm ok for this Saturday, shall I aim for around that pace?

Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated - TheEd - 09-11-2018

Hi Tiger, ideally, the best option would be to get rid of the niggles before going onto the program.

not necessary to run paced 5k tomorrow but instead look to get niggles sorted out

onwards and forwards

TheEd

Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated - TigerSmith - 19-11-2018

TheEd Wrote:Hi Tiger, ideally, the best option would be to get rid of the niggles before going onto the program.

not necessary to run paced 5k tomorrow but instead look to get niggles sorted out

onwards and forwards

TheEd

Ok I completed a 10k yesterday, The Adidas Fulham 10k here in London. I went out thinking I'd take it easy but beat my PB (only by around 45 secs), coming in at 48:01. It was a very flat course and I experienced no pain. In fact it felt pretty easy, I'd say my max effort was about 80% towards the end.

Splits in image.

I plan on doing an easy 5k tomorrow, hopefully I will have no pain again.

Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated - TheEd - 20-11-2018

Keep us informed Tiger

TheEd
ps.. some nice splits over the last few km of the 10k, nice going

Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated - TigerSmith - 20-11-2018

TheEd Wrote:Keep us informed Tiger

TheEd
ps.. some nice splits over the last few km of the 10k, nice going

Yes I was happy with those splits, I felt very strong throughout the race, really powered through the last few k, felt relaxed and like I had plenty left in the tank.

I'm just back from a light 6k. Not quick, just an easy 35 mins.

No pain.

Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated - TheEd - 23-11-2018

Would you consider trying the program from next week, as the 2k session?

TheEd

Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated - TigerSmith - 23-11-2018

TheEd Wrote:Would you consider trying the program from next week, as the 2k session?

TheEd

You mean the 2k intervals? Yes why not, what pace would i be wanting to hit?

4.25 might be a little ambitious, but I can try.

Sub 45 Min 10k Goal - Advice much appreciated - TheEd - 02-12-2018

Hi Tiger, have you recovered?

did you do any 2k session this past week?

TheEd