Running Information Forums
Few questions about the 10k program - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Few questions about the 10k program (/Thread-Few-questions-about-the-10k-program)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Few questions about the 10k program - odileariel - 02-05-2010

Hi.

My name is Ariel, I'm 37 years old. I'm training for about 1.5 years, and did 4 marathons so far.

My PBs are: Marathon (Paris, 3 weeks ago) - 2:59, H. Marathon - 1:23, 10k -38:40 (But I didn't run for quite a while).

When I've trained for my last marathon I used to train 6-8 times a week, doing 120km/wk on average.

I'm planning my next marathon only a year from now, so I would like to train for improving my speed for the next 6-8 months.

I've read carefully your training programs and I have few questions:

1 - 5*2000, 6*1000 sessions - I think I understand the logic behind those workouts by trying to simulate the relevant 10k/5k race paces. However, when I've read Daniels' running formula by coach Jack Daniels, and other books about training, they usually recommend to have the intervals sessions of no longer than 5 minutes. Can u pls elaborate about those workouts and their contribution ?

2 - Same question about those workouts recovery time - usually it's recommended to have 50-90% from the interval time as rest. In the 5*2000,6*1000 it's significantly shorter.

3 - I believe I can do around 38m in 10k now. Should I use the sub35 program and adjust the paces (2000 = 3.43/km, 1000 =3.38-3.33/km) ?

4 - I didn't see any workout that is in Lactate Threshold recommended pace. Can u pls advise why ?

Apologizing for the long post... Tx in advance for your answers Smile

Ariel

Few questions about the 10k program - TheEd - 03-05-2010

Hi odileariel and welcome

the 2000m sessions develop speed endurance which is of major benefit to racing 10km. The sessions are developed around achieving this

if you would like a more accurate starting point for your 10km Training then consider running a 4km time-trial

pace / tempo runs are introduced only once and athlete has developed on the programs

the secret to any runner succeeding is doing what works for them and the biggest mistake runners do make is overtraining without giving their natural ability a chance to develop.

Cheers

TheEd

Few questions about the 10k program - odileariel - 03-05-2010

Hi Ed.

Thanks for the quick response !

I will start the program in 1-2 weeks after I'll fully recover from the Marathon.

Do u have any recommendation as for the %HR Max in which the 2000/1000 sessions should be ?

Tx,

Ariel

Few questions about the 10k program - TheEd - 03-05-2010

when you run the 4km time-trial that time is taken and converted to sessions to start with for the 2k sessions

the pulse feedback you provide from your sessions will start giving me more to work with as to your individual requirements

however the pace you will be given to train at is most times optimal to that runner (you)

the secret to these cycles is consistency, do only what is asked of you and develop from there

if you are used to a long run then your longest run in the first week can be longer however the 2k and 1k sessions are the most important aspect to adapt to before progressing, especially the 2k session

TheEd

Few questions about the 10k program - odileariel - 11-05-2010

Hi.

I've just came back from the first 2000s session.

I'm exactly 1 month after my last Marathon (2:59), so I've mainly rested and did only recovery runs so far. I've felt a little bit "rusty" before this session but I needed to start Smile

I did the first 2000 too hard and then started to drop the pace.. but as u wrote the most important thing is to complete this session.

My times were:
1 - 7:28
2 - 7:35
3 - 7:48
4 - 8:00
5 - 8:12

Ariel

Few questions about the 10k program - TheEd - 11-05-2010

OK .. that couldn't have been fun Wink

the 1000's will be a great deal easier and once you go to the next 3 week-cycle the 2000's will be done with a wiser head

make sure to keep things under control and monitor your leg recovery during this period, because if there is any 'leftovers' from the marathon it may begin to show

so be aware of your body

TheEd

Few questions about the 10k program - odileariel - 11-05-2010

Yap,,, u r right... it wasn't a fun session Smile

I'll update u next week about the 1000s session.

Ariel

Few questions about the 10k program - odileariel - 18-05-2010

Hi.

Just came back from the 1st 1000s session.

Overall it was a much better session than the 2000s. I've run with a "wiser head" (as u wrote...). The times were :

3:47
3:40
3:43
3:40

Which pace would u advise me to use for the 400s session, and for the 5K tempo ?

Tx,

Ariel

Few questions about the 10k program - TheEd - 18-05-2010

nice going, good to hear more enjoyable Smile

400's in 86 to 88 seconds

and the 5k tempo

20:10 this should and must be a comfortable run and shouldn't be too much of a hard effort, so feedback is important, please

good stuff

TheEd

Few questions about the 10k program - odileariel - 19-05-2010

Thanks.

Just to make sure, the 20:10 for 5k, is for the 5K paced run on day 12 ?

Ariel