Running Information Forums
Sub 40 Min Training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 40 Min Training (/Thread-Sub-40-Min-Training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 15-09-2010

Hmmmm...

Alright. Well what do you reckon is best?

I know I've been making some progress the last 3 weeks or so, and I feel I will meet/exceed my goal of sub 40 on Oct. 10th.

So a 4K Time Trial? Or a 5-8K hard run?

I'll be doing which ever session on the crusher dust trail behind my home that has all KM's marked off, so it will be pretty accurate.

What will give me better fitness feedback and provide me with more information about where to go with my training in your expert opinion Wink

-Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 16-09-2010

If you use the same 4km course as before then it is a good marker for improvement, that is the benefit of the 4km

and as a marker it is definitely of value

Cheers

TheEd

ps.. :mmm: egg spurt opinion

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 19-09-2010

I decided on a 5K then turned it into a 4K about 20 seconds before I hit the 4 K mark. I got to thinking about what you said about using the course for comparison later, also I had this thing I wanted to run sub 19 for a 5K but why kill myself when my goal was already established to break 40 min at my race in 3 weeks.

I had never done a 4K TT at the beginning of starting the cycles so figured I'd get a rough idea now. I guess if I had decided on a 4K at the start maybe I would've gone harder in the 3rd K... (isn't that always the way with distance runners always the "never good enough syndrome")

I did this TT on the trail by my house so the 1st K was on pavement then the remaining 3K on crusher dust with the last 1.5K on an incline (hence the slower splits).

Time: 15:13

Splits
1 - 3:41
2 - 3:47
3 - 3:52
4 - 3:51

Felt good and smooth. MY HR never got into the 190's as it has & does in the 2K intervals and my past races, so I had some in the tank for sure.

I figure with the hills and lack of traction on the crusher dust this would have been sub 15 min on the track.

Thanks for all your input on this.

New cycle starts this week.

-Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 20-09-2010

15:13 .. good to have this as a marker for the future, also good to take your weight at the same time and am waking pulse .. all these are good indicators for your best fighting weight

I am sure you would have run a sub 19 for 5km

nice going

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 21-09-2010

Just so I have it logged in this journal

Current weight - 155 lb
RHR - 44 BPM (via HRM first thing in the morning)

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 24-09-2010

Updates Updates

This week:

Monday - Off after 4 K TT on Sunday
Tuesday - 30 min easy
Wed - 60 min easy
Thursday - Missed day (just couldn't get outta the office)
Friday - 5 x 2K on trail

Interval Splits (Beside them is 3 weeks ago split for my own comparison)
1- 7:48 (8:07)
2- 7:40 (7:49)
3- 7:53 (7:57)
4- 7:52 (7:52)
5- 7:55 (7:58)

As per 3 weeks ago the odd # intervals have a longer slight incline on the 2nd K as it's on an old railway bed with crusher dust I'm running these not on a tartan track.

Shouldn't have cruised through the second rep so fast I guess wouldn't finished stronger. All in all felt pretty good HR stayed below 190 for the whole workout and returned to about 130-138 at the end of the 1:30 rest.

Onwards and upwards.

-Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 25-09-2010

a fine session Ian and I am sure you must feel happy to see the improvement

:great:

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 29-09-2010

Training Updates

Long run on Sunday 18K, also did a 6-7K walk with our dogs that morning so to say the least Monday I was pooped so decided to skip the 30 min easy and take it easy.

Tuesday 10K easy

Today 6 X 1K at the track again

Intervals (times in parenthesis are same intervals 3 weeks ago times)
1 - 3:44 (3:50)
2 - 3:42 (3:42)
3 - 3:45 (3:45)
4 - 3:47 (3:44)
5 - 3:49 (3:46)
6 - 3:46 (3:47)

Consistency I like Smile

Looking forward to the 5 K paced this sunday, and the rest of the week is pretty straight fwd with a 30 min easy tomorrow and 60 min on Friday.

TheEd don't feel you need to reply as I'm starting to use this as a bit of a journal for myself as well as feedback so I can see my progression.

I really appreciate all of your assistance over the past couple of months as I went through my shin splint troubles and took some time to ease into the cycles.

I believe I am in shape to meet my Sub 40 goal in a week and a half, and mainly thanks to your training routine which gave my training some structure to work with and your feedback as I progressed through each cycle.

Next year is gonna be kick A$$ when I have a full season to train with structure!

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 30-09-2010

Hi Ian .. I have no problem posting to your feedback Wink

good consistency in the 1000m session .. as you progress you can look to achieiving consistency in the other runs which then provides further balance for future development

consistency in supplementary runs allows for quicker recovery from hard training sessions and races, quicker recovery then allows for an increase in aerobic development on various runs which further adds to the strength of the cycles and what they achieve

so you on the right road

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 08-10-2010

Training's been a little light the past couple of weeks. I missed the 5 K paced last Sunday and one 30 min easy this week. We're heading away on a little vacation next week so trying to tie up loose ends and work a bit more.

6 x 600 yesterday, I didn't have the same consistency as 3 weeks ago when I did this workout just wasn't "in it" I guess with lots on my mind.

2:13
2:03
2:06
2:09
2:10
2:11

Fartlek session this afternoon then a day off and my final 10K race for the season on Sunday. The temperature has been falling quite steadily in October so I expect it to be about 10-12 degrees for the race on Sunday. This should be a lot nicer then the last race I did in 28 degree weather.