Running Information Forums
Sub 40 Min Training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 40 Min Training (/Thread-Sub-40-Min-Training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 19-09-2011

yes there is most definitely potential injury and especially with your previous problems

to be frank it simply isn't worth taking the risk

far better to have a planned off period rather than an enforced one

by upping to a 2hr run you also set yourself up for problems

take a step back and analyse the positive space you in now and realise you have reached there with natural ability and why do you want to go scupper all the 'positive' progress

Good luck with your decision

THeEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 19-09-2011

TheEd,

Thanks for the feedback, I trust you insight and you've known my story with shin and calf issues over the past couple of years. I'll stick with the 10K. I"m going to be out of town for 10 days of the next 3 week cycle so best to keep the race to a distance I know I can manage anyways.

Cheers,

Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 19-09-2011

good stuff Ian and I am sure you are already looking to a sub 36 in the next season and absolutely no reason you shouldn't achieve this

onwards and forwards

and above all .. enjoy

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 06-10-2011

Just a quick update. Had an awesome vacation to the Canadian Rockies these past couple of weeks. Unfortunately since my last race which is 3 weeks ago this Sunday I've only got out twice a week and missed the quality sessions.

While I don't think my fitness has totally fumbled I'm realistic that I won't be running sub 37 this Sunday in my final race of the season. Of course, surprises have been known to happen.

After this Sunday I'm going to roll directly into the off-training period then at least two go through's of the build-up and then begin training for a winter half marathon that happens in my region come February of next year.

I will be shooting next season for a sub 36, as close to 35 as I can get Smile

Also going to work in a quality half marathon some where along there to test my hand at that distance.

There's a nice Timex Road Race series in my area that consists of about 10 races through the season. Competitors must race I believe 5 or 6 of the 10 and you're ranked by points. The races vary from 5K to 10 Miles so working in some half training will be good to stay competitive.

It's funny for me to look back on my threads from a year ago and my struggles to get below 42 minutes, then 40 minutes. Patience truly is a virtue.

Something that shows me I still have room for growth is that when I review my training calendar from this past season most weeks I was still only running 4 times a week, the odd 5 but usually 4.

Thanks for all your help again this season TheEd. Will let you and the community here know how I fare this weekend. This same race was my first sub 40 last season.

Cheers,

Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 06-10-2011

Hi Ian, your ability to run faster has never been in doubt with me

more consistency and knowing when to ease up to allow your bad to absorb the training stills needs fine tuning however you have made big strides in recent events, so a great deal to feel chuffed

Smile

enjoy

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 13-10-2011

Just to update on the final race. I ran 38:01. Could tell that 3 weeks off (more or less) combined with poor diet and beers Smile really took the edge off my fitness, but truthfully I didn't have high expectations my 'golden' run for this season was last race.

Still managed a 2nd place finish, first ran a 34:02 so I didn't see him for most of the race and 3rd as 40:30 so I was pacing myself using my Garmin. Far more difficult to make ourselves run faster then when we're racing right side-by-side someone.

Take care and enjoy your adventures in the coming weeks (have been following your newest blog on the move)

Cheers,

Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 13-10-2011

great stuff Ian and to think that a year on 38 minutes is not a good time anymore Wink

progress is great

TheEd
ps.. we just arrived

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 04-11-2011

Working through off-training right now. Moving on to build-up next week and going to do a 6 week stint of build up then get back into the cycles, although without a track (will do intervals in a local loop I have due to snow).

Next race is a half marathon in Feb so will be bumping long runs to 2 HR for a couple of months.

Hope all is well! Congrats on finding your new permanent place to live.

Cheers,

Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 06-11-2011

Thanks Ian .. that dreaded winter setting in your side

Cheers

TheEd
[SIZE="1"]ps.. thanks re: accomm[/SIZE]

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 14-11-2011

1st Week Build Up Update

Run 1: 9.62 K - Pace 5:47 / K - AVG HR 145
Run 2: 19.86 K - Pace 5:35 / K - AVG HR 137
Run 3: 11.43 K - Pace 5:26 / K - AVG HR 145
Run 4: Missed due to massive rain storm
Run 5: 14.87 K - Pace 5:30 / K - AVG HR 149 *High HR will reduce pace this week.

Feel far more patient this year going through Build up then I did this time last year.

Ian